Seattle Public Schools

Be The First To
Add Photos

Frustrating experience

School Psychologist (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsDedicated professionals, good benefits, decent salary

ConsBureuacracy gets in the way of truly supporting students, limited resources and professional development.

Not appreciative of it's teachers

Teacher (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsStudents are wonderful and work well with others.

ConsAdministration doesn't support teachers or parents.

"Teacher"

Teacher (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsVery diverse student population...staff and teachers are very dedicated to the kids.

ConsThreats to staff and teachers by principals about the consequences of going to the union.
    Experienced teachers are targeted and counseled to leave the profession.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dysfunction at its finest!

Dean (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThere aren't any. This is a horrible district to work in.

Cons........In this district, the focus is on the adults, not the students. Very sad!

Seattle Public Schools - Administrative Position

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsFrequent breaks (Summer, Winter, Spring), Strong Union, Great benefits/retirement, Plenty of opportunities to transfer to different schools, good opportunity to network in the community, chance to work with kids and families

ConsLots of red tape/disorganization, extreme nepotism, unfair compensation, unqualified employees that get to stick around/get promoted because of seniority, constant budget cuts

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing favorites. Catch up with the times and stop using such archaic policies. Hire a Superintendent from the area that understands the needs of this community. Hire and promote people based on MERIT, not friendship or bloodline.

a place of much potential for helping mold our future citizens

School Nurse (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Proslarge, culturally diverse school district, staff/people who care about students and work hard for them. a district nurses association for continuing education and morale support

Conshighly political, an unsupportive supervisor, lack of resources in our dept, individual schools expected same level of output on decreasing time paid for me in building

Advice to Senior Managementneed to understand how public health affects a student's ability to learn. be more supportive of school nurses in resources, funding and hours.(IE a pay scale tied to medical experience not educational experience) understand and acknowledge differences in medical legal contraints on practitioners in a school district vs a hospital setting. value our judgement not our tasks

Under-resourced to the extreme, but no one will admit it.

Senior Assistant General Counsel (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat cause, interesting issues, good people.

ConsUnder-resourced. Too much work and not enough time or resources to do it. Intense, and often ridiculous and obnoxious scrutiny that affects the culture of the day-to-day environment.

Advice to Senior ManagementStand up to community demands more often (when they are unreasonable) and provide educational leadership, not just responsiveness.

Welcome to the Gulag

Teacher (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIf you have a liberal arts degree, this is probably the highest paying job you'll ever have. After working 55 hours a week for 36 weeks, you'll get that overtime back in two months of summer "vacation," assuming you don't have to take classes--at your own expense--to maintain your teaching license.

ConsBureaucracy. Bureaucracy. Bureaucracy. HR has auto respond emails for two months stating they are too busy to respond via email or by phone. Teacher evaluation system, which uses SMART goals, is deeply flawed and encourages cheating.

Angry/burned out coworkers yell at and berate students and coworkers. Terrible physical environment to work in, with deteriorating and hazardous infrastructure.

Overloaded classes. Inadequate curriculum and tools. Impossible work load. There aren't enough hours in the week to do this job right or to meet management's demands.

Deadbeat union collects dues but does little to improve working environment. Union doesn't respond to requests for assistance.

Teachers' every move is micromanaged. Teachers are treated like students, not professionals. Admin acts like teachers are there for admin rather than supporting teachers.

Overall atmosphere is politically charged, with blatant political bias in teachers' instruction. Anyone not toeing the Democratic line is ostracized, ideological diversity is discouraged, and groupthink is rampant. Administration squashes anyone who questions. It's "sit down and shut up" management at its finest.

Meetings and "professional development" are soul sucking. Administrators and trainers lecture teachers during meetings rather than using educational best practices to intellectually engage teachers.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit

Great place to work

Special Education Assistant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat benefits, diverSe community and culture

ConsDepends on which school you get into, very burocratic

Least gracious work environment and territorial co-workers

Network Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSteady paycheck
    Excellent benefits
    Autonomy
    Overall, nice coworkers

ConsInitiative is discouraged
    Pay is insufficient
    Too many varying responsibilities for one human to tend to.

Advice to Senior ManagementAddress the culture of lack so conversations aren't always about the lack of money, but instead on how we can support student learning. Encourage staff to collaborate without fear of losing their job. I can't tell you how many times my indicative was quashed by staff in complementary departments. Allocate funds for staff development, especially in IT. If you keep piling on new technology, provide the means to learn it quickly.

Worked for Seattle Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!