Seattle Times

Be The First To
Add Photos

Seattle Times Publisher and CEO Frank A. Blethen

Frank A. Blethen

Pros:
  • "Employee benefits and work/life balance are good"
    in 5 reviews
  • "Local ownership, integrity, opportunity to make a difference"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Newspaper industry is facing tough times"
    in 5 reviews
  • "The business model is broken, and has been broken for many years"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Some leadership issues, but overall a great company to work for

Sales Coordinator (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsSome compassionate leaders, good foresight into changing landscape of news consumption

ConsSome ineffective leaders, outdated technologies used in new media, feel as though follow through was lacking when we went through a department-wide conflict resolution workshop

It's winding down quickly

Seattle, WA

ProsIt is not a cut throat culture. Think the movie "Wall Street" and take the opposite and that is much of how the culture is at The Times. Currently, the health care benefits are really good. As a category (news), it felt good to be contributing to that effort.

ConsPoor leadership... risk averse... still living in 1985 in how they (leadership) thinks they are perceived by both the community and the advertisers... comp is not competitive... Having more than two years of "Seattle Times" on your resume isn't considered positive with many employers... Unless you NEED a job today, don't send a resume.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf Frank wants to set up the Times for the 25 years after he retires, he will hire outside the newspaper industry to make the difficult decisions he has been unwilling to do to reshape the company. If not, just sell to McClatchy and let them straighten things out.

I loved the people, culture, and challenges.

ProsGreat work-life balance
    Great mission: serving the community with fiercely independent journalism
    Great relationships with good people

ConsNot able to compete in compensation
    Risk averse group-think culture
    Unclear direction to turn it around

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a step back. Look at the bigger picture. Stop throwing spaghetti against the wall. Analyze where to invest and where to stop investing, then do it.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsA great family to work for. A good place to grow up.

ConsSalaries and leadership sub-par, infrastructre home-grown and difficult to innovate.

Advice to Senior ManagementClean house! Be Bold!

How much longer?

Seattle, WA

ProsHopefully they will be remembered fondly in the future.

ConsIt's been heartbreaking to see the company fall apart over the last several years. The Seattle Times once stood for something and was a company you could be proud to work at, sadly that has changed rather dramatically in the last 3+ years.

Advice to Senior ManagementTime to implement your exit strategy.

Lacks integrity

Account Executive (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe people I worked with were awesome. I have made some great lifelong friends at the Times. Convenient location, close to bus lines. Brand recognition.

ConsRather than venting about everything I didn't like about this job, I'll say that overall the Seattle Times lacks integrity in relation to their employees. I worked here twice---two years the first time, then I moved out of state to care for family members. When offered the sales position, I was told that I could easily make the money I was looking for. A few days into the job, I learned that it wasn't even possible to make that amount because of caps on commission. When I left, they tried to deny my unemployment, which I appealed and won.

A few years later, I came back for a temporary position that was supposed to turn permanent. When the permanent position became available, I was told that although I was meeting my goals and was a great contributor, they were not offering me the position because I have a foster child with special needs and I took too much time off for my child's doctors appointments. How much time is "too much" you ask? Once a month I had to take off an hour or two early to take him to the doctor. I always made up my time and finished my work, yet although several others required special accommodations, the one accommodation I needed "didn't jive well with their busy call center environment"...by busy they meant about 20 calls a week between 6 account reps. They actually told me that FMLA doesn't apply to my family...doesn't the "F" stand for "Family"? So, they won't employ a foster parent who cares for special needs children, but they sure will boast about their donations to their Fund for the Needy.

There are so many issues in this organization--micromanaging, managers who won't listen to employees' ideas yet blame those same employees for the failures of the organization, it takes forever to get promoted or move to another position within the company, management spends lots on money on band aid solutions that don't work, but will not even consider long term proven solutions if they cost money. While I was there the second time, they hired a "consultant" that had just been terminated by another failing paper, to come in and consult on how to get more business. Her consulting consisted of taking some of our ideas and relaying them to management. They spent money on this! Yet when I actually researched what other successful and GROWING papers were doing and made suggestions based on what they were doing, my ideas were laughed at.

Ah well, so Seattle Times is not the employer for me.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire your managers based on their qualifications and expertise, not based on who they are friends with. Listen to your employees and trust that sometimes they know what will work better than upper management does. Stand behind your word.

Accounting

Anonymous Accounting (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsLocal ownership, integrity, opportunity to make a difference. Hard work and results are rewarded.

ConsNews paper industry is slowing down. Layoffs are a result of this changing market.

Great environment but could use some improvement

Executive Assistant (Current Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsThe company values, work/life balance, and employees make working for The Seattle Times a true joy. They are competitive with payment if you're an external candidate and offer a better than average amount of sick and vacation time.

ConsIn an industry that is constantly changing to keep up with technology and social trends, The Seattle Times tends to be a little behind many of their competitors. This then puts stress on the staff to constantly try to "catch up" with the newest and latest...whatever it is the company is rolling out.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't just listen to your employees - take what they say to heart and know they want the company to succeed just as much as you do.

Positive experience, learned a lot

Website Producer (Former Employee)
    Seattle, WA

ProsExciting, fast-paced newsroom. Great digital team and mentors!

ConsSad to leave this job behind.

Print is dead, it just doesn't know it yet...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, great passion, everyone loves the news and is passionate about the product

ConsPrint is dying and management doesn't have a clear plan what to do instead, and the union has a stranglehold on the company and will take it down.

Worked for Seattle Times? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Seattle Times reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Seattle Times CEO Frank A. Blethen. All 68 reviews posted anonymously by Seattle Times employees.