Seattle Times

Be The First To
Add Photos

Seattle Times Publisher and CEO Frank A. Blethen

Frank A. Blethen

Pros
  • Employee benefits and work/life balance are good(in 6 reviews)

• paid well, good people, interesting business(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Newspaper industry is facing tough times(in 6 reviews)

• The business model is broken, and has been broken for many years(in 4 reviews)

Print is dead, it just doesn't know it yet...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people, great passion, everyone loves the news and is passionate about the product

ConsPrint is dying and management doesn't have a clear plan what to do instead, and the union has a stranglehold on the company and will take it down.

Would not recommend

Account Executive (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe benefits are pretty good, and they provide you with tools, ie, laptops, ipads, etc to do your job. Flexibility to work out of the office

ConsNot a forward thinking company. Not a good place to work if you are an innovator or want to embrace the new digital age.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the same page with each other and cut dead weight.

Good development opportunity, short ladder.

Business Intelligence (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGood people, good cause, ability to make a difference.

ConsPoor long term outlook, low salary, low budget.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be afraid to take chances on technology or people.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Newspaper

ProsThe employees are great people.

ConsMiddle management HEAVY. Compensation not competitive with other sales organizations.

Great

ProsSmart people, collaborative, work hard.

ConsNewspaper industry is facing tough times.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Values-driven company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe Seattle Times takes its commitment to journalistic ethics and community service very seriously. Every employee is encouraged to support those values. Peer collaboration is very strong. Employee benefits and work/life balance are good.

ConsWages in some positions are not competitive with the local market.

Print heavy needing to move to digital

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsNice people in most work groups.

ConsTheir business model is based in the last century.

Advice to Senior ManagementLooked bad when you laid people off the same time you bought a new porche. But hey it is your money.

Strong name, but no room for career development or growth

Account Executive (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsStrong and reputable name in the community makes for a somewhat easier sell. Excellent work life balance, and focus on training and staff improvement. Very diverse staff. Loyal and proud employees are common here.

Consmicromanagement and slow process makes it near impossible to create new opportunities for clients, and products to expand our offerings. Company is losing money, and requires furlough for all members of the staff in addition to many cost saving efforts leave the sales team without resources that local competitors' provide. Pay is low for simliar sales positions in market.

The Seattle Times

Freelance Writer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe Seattle Times has evolved with the changing news industry from the time I was hired as a news clerk 20 years ago to now. They are the news organization of record for the Pacific Northwest.

ConsMy experience thus far has been positive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more challenging the economy the more difficult and critical it is to cover the underrepresented.

Low morale, even lower pay

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe people--met a lot of great friends and enjoyed working with most people
    The work (when we had it)--lots of variety
    The location--up and coming SLU

ConsTerrible conditions. The company was always telling people how terrible they were doing. I worked there for almost 5 years and never heard a positive word. It was depressing. There is a union that a lot professional jobs fall within--it creates an odd dynamic--the union workers vs. the management. It's not comfortable at all. I'd never work anywhere that has a union again.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out how to get rid of the union. It really creates a lot of animosity that is unnecessary. Plus the union does nothing except take money from people who need it! Figure out how to be positive in a depressing industry.

Worked for Seattle Times? Contribute to the Community!