Seattle Times

Be The First To
Add Photos

Seattle Times Publisher and CEO Frank A. Blethen

Frank A. Blethen

Pros
  • Employee benefits and work/life balance are good(in 6 reviews)

• paid well, good people, interesting business(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Newspaper industry is facing tough times(in 6 reviews)

• The business model is broken, and has been broken for many years(in 4 reviews)

Excellent place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSeattle Times has an excellent work-life balance and great opportunities for career growth. Very friendly co-workers and work environment, a family-oriented culture. It's an exciting time as we re-invent ourselves in the news industry, and there are many opportunities for doing new and exciting things. Managers give you freedom to work on things that can make an impact and creativity is encouraged. From what I've experienced there's a very cooperative and non-hierarchical work environment.

ConsI can't think of anything negative

Repeated connections as a consultant

Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsThe Seattle times still offers a lot of autonomy to each enterprise. The staff I have worked with seem smart, invigorated by their jobs and work environment, and suggest that the management style of the Times is to hire good people and get out of their way.

ConsThe newspaper business is re-inventing itself. Some of the current positions at any newspaper are likely to be transformed to new kinds of jobs. Some people who are doing excellent work may nevertheless lose their jobs, because the jobs itself is terminated, or completely changed.

The Seattle Times

Freelance Writer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe Seattle Times has evolved with the changing news industry from the time I was hired as a news clerk 20 years ago to now. They are the news organization of record for the Pacific Northwest.

ConsMy experience thus far has been positive.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe more challenging the economy the more difficult and critical it is to cover the underrepresented.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great setting & coworkers

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpen, traditional newsroom space with easy communication between departments. Friendly coworkers who care about you, within and outside of the workplace!

ConsNone that I can think of. Every staff member was helpful to me during my internship here.

Great regional newspaper

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe Seattle Times is one of the few daily newspapers left that still cares about journalism. The staff is very talented.

ConsTen years or more of financial problems have cut staff and challenged morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

One of the best places I've worked

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsEconomic and industry conditions forced me out, otherwise I'd have stayed for life. The Times' pay and benefit package were far more generous than other companies I've worked for, including so-called "best companies." Great health and dental; four weeks' vacation after five years; etc. Senior and mid-level managers in the newsroom are smart, talented and great to work with. And I don't care what anybody says, Frank Blethen is a good guy who made some unfortunate mistakes. But it's unfair to blame the company's woes on his management without acknowledging the state of the industry. I hope he and his family can make it through this trough.

ConsBy the time I left the workload had become pretty intense -- resources shrunk, but not expectations. Don't know if that's changed.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't give up. Seattle needs you.

Challanges notwithstanding, optimism abounds at The Seattle Times

Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe company is committed to quality - quality of its products (newspaper, websites), a quality workplace/environment, quality people, etc. The people are its greatest asset; everyone is committed to doing a good job, to working together as a team, to making good business decisions, and respecting each other's thoughts, opinions, feedback, etc. The Seattle Times' brand is strong and well-respected; there's a tremendous amount of pride and satisfaction in working here, knowing a very large portion of greater Seattle relies on our newpaper and websites for their daily news, local info, traffic, weather, etc. It's incredibly gratifying to work for a company tasked with keeping their finger on the pulse of such a diverse, eclectic city like Seattle.

ConsThe newspaper industry as a whole is struggling to find the business model necessary to sustain long-term viability and growth - and it's no different at the Times. While the online division of the company is well positioned for both long-term profitability and viability, the print division is experiencing decreased advertising revenues, staff reductions, and questions of how to re-invent itself in order to remain Seattle's #1 source of news and information. Senior Management is addressing those issues head-on but what the final outcome will be remains to be seen. Secondary to the business challenges, the commute downtown is no fun at all.

Advice to Senior ManagementNever underestimate the power or importance of soliciting feedback from the rank and file and, more significantly, acting on it. Suggestions abound at the operational level of the organization regarding options to consider, suggestions, etc but challenges in how to effectively solicit, compile, and communicate them to senior management can limit or stifle their visibility. Also, follow Microsoft's lead in allowing commuters with laptops to log their time spent online while commuting to count as official time in the workday.

A great place to grow your career.

Digital Advertising Operations (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsAwesome people, strong company culture, always new projects and ways to expand your experience and vidibility within the company if you're looking to do so. The Advertising Operations team has some awesome managers.

ConsNewspaper industry is on the decline, perks are few (but very appreciated.) The recent sell of the once Times-owned parking lot means parking is no longer better than anywhere else in the city (but no worse either).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some really talented, imaginative and devoted young professionals among your employees--leverage their enthusiasm, intelligence, and knowledge of what is happening in news media and the digital advertising space. I promise they won't disappoint you. Also, the union is bringing you down--cut them loose as soon as you can.

Overall, a good company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsQuality employees. Communicative management.

ConsWage freeze and pension freeze.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more credit to loyal employees.

Some leadership issues, but overall a great company to work for

Sales Coordinator (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSome compassionate leaders, good foresight into changing landscape of news consumption

ConsSome ineffective leaders, outdated technologies used in new media, feel as though follow through was lacking when we went through a department-wide conflict resolution workshop

Worked for Seattle Times? Contribute to the Community!