Seattle Times

Be The First To
Add Photos

Seattle Times Publisher and CEO Frank A. Blethen

Frank A. Blethen

Pros
  • Employee benefits and work/life balance are good(in 6 reviews)

• paid well, good people, interesting business(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Newspaper industry is facing tough times(in 6 reviews)

• The business model is broken, and has been broken for many years(in 4 reviews)

Truly values-based company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThis is an ethical journalism company that truly cares about serving the community. It's an honor to be part of a genuine mission-based company.

ConsLeadership is fraught with dysfunction.

Excellent place to work!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsSeattle Times has an excellent work-life balance and great opportunities for career growth. Very friendly co-workers and work environment, a family-oriented culture. It's an exciting time as we re-invent ourselves in the news industry, and there are many opportunities for doing new and exciting things. Managers give you freedom to work on things that can make an impact and creativity is encouraged. From what I've experienced there's a very cooperative and non-hierarchical work environment.

ConsI can't think of anything negative

A great place to grow your career.

Digital Advertising Operations (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsAwesome people, strong company culture, always new projects and ways to expand your experience and vidibility within the company if you're looking to do so. The Advertising Operations team has some awesome managers.

ConsNewspaper industry is on the decline, perks are few (but very appreciated.) The recent sell of the once Times-owned parking lot means parking is no longer better than anywhere else in the city (but no worse either).

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have some really talented, imaginative and devoted young professionals among your employees--leverage their enthusiasm, intelligence, and knowledge of what is happening in news media and the digital advertising space. I promise they won't disappoint you. Also, the union is bringing you down--cut them loose as soon as you can.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company

IT Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Prospaid well, good people, interesting business

Consindustry is dying, profits are down

stagnant company provides a stepping stone.

Digital Account Executive (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

Prosthis is a super tolerant company, with a strong mission that's easy to get behind. As an ad sales rep, it's possible to make good money particularly on the digital team.

Consforward thinking, they are not. this is an old, sluggish company with outdated model of doing things. They have tired to pivot multiple times over the last decade, and have suffered with under performing sales team (that is largely union) and a mixed bag of managers. The old newspaper heyday has passed and the STC hasn't quite figured out how to survive in a competitive environment.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the good, and get rid of the bad! Bad middle management that remains in place will disenchant the workforce. hire good people, and trust them to do their jobs. no body likes a middle manager.

Limited Chance for Advancement

Manager (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsThe Seattle Times makes a difference in the community, impacting people's lives across the region, and that gives many employees a strong sense of pride in their work.

ConsRegardless of countless consulting engagements, the company seems unwilling or unable to make large, necessary changes. As the consultant mentioned, there should be shifts, but management seems unwilling to cut low performers that have been in the ranks for decades. They offer noncompetitive salaries that attract misfits.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe smarter with cost-cutting. Get rid of non-performers rather than freezing all employees' pay. Recognize the skills of internal candidates and move them up.

Good first gig

Website Producer (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsExciting atmosphere, innovative approach to news, Pulitzer Prize winner, fast-paced newsroom, digital focus, market powerhouse, great coworkers, decent pay, local news leader, and growth opportunities.

ConsPoor benefits, poor work-life balance, uncertain future of the company with a declining legacy product, hours can be very bad, Seattle is a saturated news market, pay is not great, union shop

Great paper, not so great employer

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsIt's a great daily newspaper and an excellent product

ConsThe business model is broken, and has been broken for many years. Little feedback is requested or considered from current employees and support staff, and recent management decisions have left little confidence in the paper's future.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart listening to your support staff instead of eliminating them and hiring management teams with no plans.

This company has a great mission and a great challenge to continue it's mission with the growing change in how readers

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

Pros1. Great journalistic and community mission
    2. Great challenge in the face of technology and it's impact on the traditional printed product.

Cons1. Affecting change in a fast changing business environment

Advice to Senior ManagementUrgency

Limited future

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsWorthwhile community-focused values and mission.

ConsInnovation is hampered by roadblocks and politics.

Worked for Seattle Times? Contribute to the Community!