Seattle Times

Updated August 11, 2014
3.2

Seattle Times Publisher and CEO Frank A. Blethen
Frank A. Blethen

Pros
  • Employee benefits and work/life balance are good (in 7 reviews)

• paid well, good people, interesting business (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The biggest negative, of course, is what's happening to the newspaper industry (in 7 reviews)

• The business model is broken, and has been broken for many years (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

This company has a great mission and a great challenge to continue it's mission with the growing change in how readers

I have been working at Seattle Times full-time

Pros

1. Great journalistic and community mission
    2. Great challenge in the face of technology and it's impact on the traditional printed product.

Cons

1. Affecting change in a fast changing business environment

Urgency

Limited future

I worked at Seattle Times

Pros

Worthwhile community-focused values and mission.

Cons

Innovation is hampered by roadblocks and politics.

Overall, a good company to work for.

I worked at Seattle Times full-time

Pros

Quality employees. Communicative management.

Cons

Wage freeze and pension freeze.

Give more credit to loyal employees.

Some leadership issues, but overall a great company to work for

Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Sales Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Times full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some compassionate leaders, good foresight into changing landscape of news consumption

Cons

Some ineffective leaders, outdated technologies used in new media, feel as though follow through was lacking when we went through a department-wide conflict resolution workshop

I loved the people, culture, and challenges.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle Times full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work-life balance
    Great mission: serving the community with fiercely independent journalism
    Great relationships with good people

Cons

Not able to compete in compensation
    Risk averse group-think culture
    Unclear direction to turn it around

Take a step back. Look at the bigger picture. Stop throwing spaghetti against the wall. Analyze where to invest and where to stop investing, then do it.

How much longer?

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Times full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Hopefully they will be remembered fondly in the future.

Cons

It's been heartbreaking to see the company fall apart over the last several years. The Seattle Times once stood for something and was a company you could be proud to work at, sadly that has changed rather dramatically in the last 3+ years.

Time to implement your exit strategy.

It's winding down quickly

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Times full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is not a cut throat culture. Think the movie "Wall Street" and take the opposite and that is much of how the culture is at The Times. Currently, the health care benefits are really good. As a category (news), it felt good to be contributing to that effort.

Cons

Poor leadership... risk averse... still living in 1985 in how they (leadership) thinks they are perceived by both the community and the advertisers... comp is not competitive... Having more than two years of "Seattle Times" on your resume isn't considered positive with many employers... Unless you NEED a job today, don't send a resume.

If Frank wants to set up the Times for the 25 years after he retires, he will hire outside the newspaper industry to make the difficult decisions he has been unwilling to do to reshape the company. If not, just sell to McClatchy and let them straighten things out.

I worked at Seattle Times

Pros

A great family to work for. A good place to grow up.

Cons

Salaries and leadership sub-par, infrastructre home-grown and difficult to innovate.

Clean house! Be Bold!

Lacks integrity

Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Times full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I worked with were awesome. I have made some great lifelong friends at the Times. Convenient location, close to bus lines. Brand recognition.

Cons

Rather than venting about everything I didn't like about this job, I'll say that overall the Seattle Times lacks integrity in relation to their employees. I worked here twice---two years the first time, then I moved out of state to care for family members. When offered the sales position, I was told that I could easily make the money I was looking for. A few days into the job, I learned that it wasn't even possible to make that amount because of caps on commission. When I left, they tried to deny my unemployment, which I appealed and won.

A few years later, I came back for a temporary position that was supposed to turn permanent. When the permanent position became available, I was told that although I was meeting my goals and was a great contributor, they were not offering me the position because I have a foster child with special needs and I took too much time off for my child's doctors appointments. How much time is "too much" you ask? Once a month I had to take off an hour or two early to take him to the doctor. I always made up my time and finished my work, yet although several others required special accommodations, the one accommodation I needed "didn't jive well with their busy call center environment"...by busy they meant about 20 calls a week between 6 account reps. They actually told me that FMLA doesn't apply to my family...doesn't the "F" stand for "Family"? So, they won't employ a foster parent who cares for special needs children, but they sure will boast about their donations to their Fund for the Needy.

There are so many issues in this organization--micromanaging, managers who won't listen to employees' ideas yet blame those same employees for the failures of the organization, it takes forever to get promoted or move to another position within the company, management spends lots on money on band aid solutions that don't work, but will not even consider long term proven solutions if they cost money. While I was there the second time, they hired a "consultant" that had just been terminated by another failing paper, to come in and consult on how to get more business. Her consulting consisted of taking some of our ideas and relaying them to management. They spent money on this! Yet when I actually researched what other successful and GROWING papers were doing and made suggestions based on what they were doing, my ideas were laughed at.

Ah well, so Seattle Times is not the employer for me.

Hire your managers based on their qualifications and expertise, not based on who they are friends with. Listen to your employees and trust that sometimes they know what will work better than upper management does. Stand behind your word.

Accounting

Former Employee - Anonymous Accounting in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Accounting in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle Times full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Local ownership, integrity, opportunity to make a difference. Hard work and results are rewarded.

Cons

News paper industry is slowing down. Layoffs are a result of this changing market.