Seattle University Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

Excellent! Great environment! The Higher Education environment is very positive and rewarding

Current Employee - Corporate Relations Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Corporate Relations Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping Students is rewarding Students are Enthusiastic Faculty Are Very Smart and Talented

Cons

Pay is above traditional nonprofit organizations but of course below the corporate world

2. Great work/life balance.

Pros

Good Work/life balance. Benefits are excellent. Very generous retirement plan. Location. First/Cap/Pill Hill area. Close to Downtown Campus. Beautiful grounds.

Cons

Very hierarchical. Bureaucratic and slow moving. Human Resources Religiously affiliated (a pro for some)

Advice to Management

Increase transparency around the budget.

3. Office Assistant--Wrk Study

Former Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Washington in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle University part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Very flexible working schedule. My boss was ver accommodating and wanted me to put my studies first. I was given a fair amount of responsibility and gained a lot of hard skills. If you're looking for an easy job that can help you get a job in an office SU has a lot of work study opportunities. It was worth it for me because I had excellent references after I left.

Cons

Some of the work is boring or busy work. Sometimes you will end up redoing projects (when event dates change or something). Other than that, I really enjoyed my time there.

Advice to Management

Ask student employees what they would like to be able to do by the time they transition out. It would have been nice for me to take some ownership over the work skills I was going to gain. And looking back there are still some things I would have loved to have learned earlier or had developed more before entering the working world.

5. Office Administrative Assistant

I worked at Seattle University part-time

Pros

Manager was an absolute delight to work for, and was very flexible and understanding of the needs of a student. Plenty of downtime to do homework.

Cons

Lacked exciting projects that would be useful for a student to build his or her experience and resume.

Advice to Management

Delegate more tasks or projects to administrative assistants.

6. It's a school that seems to always be transitioning, and that applies to your job as well.

Pros

Decent pay, fun and interesting people. Lots of chances to build connections, seems like a stopover for most.

Cons

The social justice elements can feel a little washed out and planted. Just remember that it's a job.

7. Great work environment, slightly too driven by unreachable expectations.

Former Employee - Academic Services in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Academic Services in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle University full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great time-off. Always had Christmas week-NYE off. The values were great, very mission based and prioritized students and social justice.

Cons

Lots of coworkers were lazy and slow workers. Or maybe just inefficient. Change and progress need to be promoted more.

Advice to Management

Be open to innovation and give employees who work hard and well room for advancement. Or, even just say "good job" every once in a while. Not like a pat everyone on the back, but specific commendation for hard workers.

8. Student Employee

Pros

Comfortable work environment Understanding about school pressure

Cons

Little room for growth Limited hours available

Great positive environment in Conference and Events!

Former Employee - Financial Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Financial Coordinator in Seattle, WA

Pros

Amazing benefits, great hours, mission driven, and best of all great people to work with! Great energy in Conference and Events one of the best departments to work in!

Cons

I can't think of any they really do support you as an employee on all playing fields!

Advice to Management

There should be more bonding done between the different departments on campus!

10. Generally good experience, with some student employment complaints

Current Employee - Student Driver - Nighthawk in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Student Driver - Nighthawk in Seattle, WA

Pros

Flexible hours, works with school schedule, good pay for the hours and for students

Cons

can only work 20 hours per week,

Advice to Management

Student employees may be on the bottom of the food chain, but we need to be taken into account when making interdepartmental decisions. The NightHawk program is especially lacking in this area, especially after spending a month giving input only to find that the decision had already been made. This is disrespectful and demeaning, and will greatly affect the number of students who apply to work with Public Safety. For a program that relies completely on student employees, better treatment is necessary.

11. Great culture and people

I have been working at Seattle University (More than a year)

Pros

Faculty and staff here truly believe in SU mission and values. Friendly supportive work environment and good work life balance. Good benefits. Great location in Capitol Hill.

Cons

Compensation isn't great comparing to the corporate world and there is little opportunity to move up the ladder. This isn't a very dynamic place to work as the pace is kind of slow.

Advice to Management

Provide more career opportunities for staff. Raise salaries and introduce incentives to motivate employees.

RSS Feed </> Embed