Seattle University

Updated October 14, 2014
3.9

Seattle University President Father Stephen V. Sundborg
Father Stephen V. Sundborg

Pros
  • Wonderful grounds, highly encouraging of work life balance and increasing education (in 6 reviews)

• Flexible hours (for a student like me) (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Like many universities, there is a distinct separation of faculty and staff (in 2 reviews)

• Faculty actively prevents change -- typical of many universities (in 2 reviews)

More Highlights

Good people, mission, work-life balance

Current Employee - Middle Supervisor
    Current Employee - Middle Supervisor

I have been working at Seattle University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, mission and students. Wonderful grounds, highly encouraging of work life balance and increasing education. Lots of additional paid holidays (week between Christmas and New Years)

Cons

Due to great benefits package compensation on the low end. HR and OIT are difficult to work with.

Be more open to feedback from staff. Dont treat administrative support staff like they are disposable, the cost of attrition is more than you think.

Great work environment, flexible hours

Current Employee - Web Migration Assistant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Web Migration Assistant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

I enjoyed the freedom and creativity that was fostered while working here. The people are really nice and want to help you succeed.

Cons

The compensation was not very impressive mainly because it's an on campus job. Also, sometimes it was tough to get a hold of certain people that I needed to complete certain tasks.

Keep on doing what you're doing!

SU

I have been working at Seattle University

Pros

Flexible management, good values and culture. Supportive supervisors

Cons

Technology infrastructure for company communications needs improvement.

As a club team coach I felt supported yet was allowed a massive amount of freedom.

Former Employee - Head Coach in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Head Coach in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle University as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Seattle University Crew was still a club program when I was there which provided ample freedom to experiment with different techniques and programs.

Cons

The almost limitless freedom came with a lack of oversight and administrative assistance which caused difficulty at times, but wasn't really all that bad.

Great Campus Great People

Former Employee - Associate Professor in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Associate Professor in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle University as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great Work-life balance.
    People were very nice.
    Students were very grateful of the knowledge I had, and they were very respectful.

Cons

As a contracter, I was not offered any benefits, but I was required to be there at certain times. The demands of the contract kept growing, even as my pay stayed the same. No parking was offered

Even contract workers deserve some benefit. Even a tour around the campus would have been helpful.

Wonderful place to work and grow at.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seattle University full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance, stable hours, friendly staff, and supportive administration. Plus lots of perks from working at a university (classes, gym, pool, benefits, retirement, generous vacation and sick leave). Plus at the end of the day you feel like you are making the world a better place.

Cons

Universities in general pay below the standard for the same type of position in another industry. However, there are far less chances of overtime. College enrollment is going down and as a result departments are getting slimmer.

Supportive colleagues and opportunities for building connections across campus.

I have been working at Seattle University full-time

Pros

The people at Seattle U are generally very supportive and there are many opportunities for personal and professional development.

Cons

The biggest challenge of working at Seattle U is the need to depend on connections and relationships on campus to get work done. Work life balance also tends to be a common challenge amongst faculty and staff.

Develop personal and professional development opportunities that focus on work life balance.

Enjoyable, professional, and well compensated.

I have been working at Seattle University

Pros

Working in Conference and Event Services is one of the few good departments on campus. They are professional, efficient, and kind.

When you factor in room & board, you would need to be making $18/hour at a summer job to be comparable to being a conference assistant.

Cons

If you can follow directions, use some common sense, there aren't any problems. This is actually more of a pro, if you don't pull your fair share, people won't like you.

May there always be candy in the CES office.

An excellent place to work

Former Employee - Security Officer in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Security Officer in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle University full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Campus focusing on social justice, diversity, and leadership; being on a small campus (~50 acres) makes it easy to get to know a nice chunk of the staff, students, and faculty; being an open campus there are a lot of friendly people around with their dogs on the green, alumni, affiliates, and tourists. Good benefits and a few years ago HR began scaling up pay to be competitive with other smaller, private Universities. In the city/close to downtown.

Cons

Having an open campus also means some crazies get on campus from time to time. Public Safety/Security are good about responding quickly and effectively though.

Seattle University is a great organization to work for. They jobs that they provide can help you prepare for the future.

Former Employee - Equipment Manager in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Equipment Manager in Seattle, WA

I worked at Seattle University part-time (less than an year)

Pros

They are caring and respect their employees. Seattle University is a great organization to work for.

Cons

I had know issues working at seattle university.

Seattle University Photos