Sebesta Blomberg

Rob Costello

Great place to learn

Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Mechanical Engineer in Arlington, VA

I worked at Sebesta Blomberg full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I found numerous opportunities to learn and grow. If you are willing to work, this place is a great stepping stone. I wouldn't be as successful today if not for them.

Cons

The pay wasn't exactly what I felt it should be. After moving on though, pay has been greatly impacted by what I learned while I was there. It was worth it to start there.

Crisis Mis-Management

I worked at Sebesta Blomberg full-time

Pros

New Management not looting the coffers.
    Great core values of an Employee Stock Ownership company.

Cons

Texas region once had phenomenal management (and profits) until power struggles and egos from MN blew that away!

Don't throw the babies out with the bath water. Look at skills and talent, not utilization rates!

Need to fix super-high turnover. Is company being packages for sale?

Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Sebesta Blomberg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good customer base, decent pay-scale, opportunities to learn are plentiful.

Cons

High turnover, constant change of direction and priorities, questionable leadership commitment, poor quality control of product. Way too much work assigned to employees. Lack of established policies and procedures.

Be honest with your employees if you are trying to package the company for sale.
    Don't let your board publicly fire your CEO and President unless you have a replacement ready or a plan in place to operate the firm.

Maybe Sebesta will eventually pursue their core competency in each market and cease with a one size fits all mentality.

I worked at Sebesta Blomberg full-time

Pros

Field personnel were competent and terrific to work with.
    Front line management had a good idea what brought value to customers.
    Talented work force.

Cons

Senior management infighting and political wrangling for power and personal recognition.
    Former leadership plundered resources.
    Project managers were technically clueless.

Listen to the lowest level people who are actually dealing with the clients.
    Figure out what an ESOP (Employee Stock Ownership Plan) Company really looks like.

Dust off another 1950's outdated mothballed Battleship - STALE

Former Employee - Cx Engineer in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Cx Engineer in Washington, DC

I worked at Sebesta Blomberg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The people I was able to met and work with, projects and clients were amazing.

Cons

The new, new and newer leadership....like taking a moth balled battleship form the 1950's and putting into action in the persian gulf 2013. COO perfect example. Needs to re-retire again real soon. Stale way, old thinking, old ideas.

Dust off the shelves, its time, before everyone leaves. "FED UP"

Optimistic and getting better but still lots of questions on high level bad decisions

Former Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Engineering in Austin, TX

I worked at Sebesta Blomberg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

projects were interesting, I actually observe the new leadership trying, people are fun, pay and benifits, the seller doing model works, some of the sales people are good like the DC and Boston offices they would help you if you needed it.

Cons

Some senior leaders do not comprehend and understand what the company sells that was troubling

I left becasue the change was not moving fast enough for me, I was concerned that at times the managers did not listen to good feedback

Modern Day Phoenix Story

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Sebesta Blomberg full-time

Pros

Professional, Ethical, Client focused, Passionate about solving engineering problems, Promotion of Work/Life Balance, Well positioned for future growth and success, Aligned perfectly with future engineering needs in in America and Abroad such as Power Delivery, Commissioning, Sustainability, and Smart building design. Safe, Diverse, and open minded culture. It's a great time to be here, and the future looks bright. The train is leaving the platform, get ready for a fun ride.

Cons

Some unavoidable recession baggage still lingers. A few negative Nellys that look out to blame instead of looking in at themsleves and how they can IMPACT clients, and the people around them. Too humble, not good at telling the companies SUCCESS stories! There are hundreds to be proud of.

There is a need to revamp the mentoring program and professional development especially for younger engineers. Maybe even make professional development mandatory for 1 hour per week to show commitment to continued education. Everyone should impact someone else every week OR, time should be spentimpacting yourself in a measurable way. Create a Mandatory weekly huddle to share success stories or recent news from the various groups and teams. Continue to make smart business decisions going forward and don't over extend. Create and promote the new vision of Sebesta Blomberg. Weed out the bad apples.

The Pollution is gone! Full steam ahead.....

Current Employee - Commissioning in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Commissioning in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sebesta Blomberg full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work Teams are fantastic, Flexabily is in place so you can balance home life and obligations, People are great, Attitudes are getting better as we rebuild from past REALLY bad management decisions, Winning very interesting projects, backlog continues to build at a record pace, new management are business people making good business decisions, MN, MA, NY, IL, NC, TX offices are stronger than ever, professional "best in class" is now apparent, Constructive feedback is finally much appreciated and respected,

Cons

Massive clean up of the mess of the people who jumped ship, Heavy work loads while in rebuilding mode, can't hire new talent fast enough,

Keep up the great work, Continue trusting and respecting decisions your employeees make,

The ship is sinking fast.

Current Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Sebesta Blomberg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some very good project opportunities for those coming right out of school.

Cons

The little bit of remaining talent is unhappy. Good people are leaving the firm almost every month. The board of directors and the entire management staff don't know what they are doing. The CEO works from home and is apparently not committed enough to permanantly relocate to the corporate headquarters. The company brand name is now a detriment.

Find a leader that will be in the corporate office managing day to day activities.

Great Company with Foward Thinking Potential

Current Employee - Lead Engineer
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer

I have been working at Sebesta Blomberg full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I started at and have remained with this form for several years now and it has provided me great opportunities both professionally and personally to grow. The firm has encouraged my growth through training that allowed me to achieve my Professional Engineering (PE) license as well as other certifications which have made me more marketable. The firm has made recent strategic decisions to put the firm in better financial footing for the future. These have resulting in negative reviews in the marketplace by former employees who were released based on job performance and client feedback. Overall the company has great work life balance, great pay, higher than average PTO, and employee stock ownership programs. The best pro is the ability to work on high profile projects with clients that appreciate our technical skills and solutions based business model.

Cons

During the 2010 and 2011 fiscal years the company made bad economic decisions and office lease agreements which were detrimental to the company. The new leadership has since mitigated most of those issues and has implemented a recovery plan.

Continue to encourage our Work Hard, Play Hard model and continue to recognize outstanding performers.