Secure-24

Updated Jul 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Mike Jennings

"If you want to expand your technical skills, this is the place to be!"

Senior Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsThe chance to work on the latest and greatest technologies.The ability to work with some of the most senior engineering talent in Michigan!Lots of great activities and outings and a very impressive 100% health care plan.Work-life balance has gotten better over the last year and but there is still room for improvement

ConsNone,its best job I have ever had!

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.I find that all managers in the company are very friendly and open.The CEO and VPs are also very approachable.Do more happy hours!

Still a Great Place to Work

ProsSecure-24 is a fantastic company with many opportunities for smart technical people. Employees get to touch so many different types of technology. Overall, it is a great group of people to work with.
    In spite of a couple of rough months at the end of last year, some management changes have been made and the culture is still strong. I have to say that I truly enjoy coming to work every day.

ConsBecause we work in an extremely fast-paced environment, it can be difficult for some individuals to keep up the pace. The company is still "young" and as a result there are some growing pains.

Awesome!

ProsAt Secure-24 you will join a highly energized team and a fast growing company. You will learn many new technologies and have the ability to expand your knowledge everyday. There are great company/family events and the health benefits are absolutely fantastic.

ConsThe cons are positive. We are a growing company so there is a need to always renew/refresh policies/procedures and technology. What was good 6 months ago can become antiquated or inefficient very quickly.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore of the same! There has been a recent re-org and the company is re-energized.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

There are no academics that will prepare you for Secure-24

ProsIf you are willing to put in the time, you will be rewarded. Great benefits and love the flexible schedules. The intensity of the Executive team is contagious. Although the Founders have moved on to the Board of Directors, the new Executive team is about planning and acting on that plan for Secure-24 to be successful. Very excited about the years to follow.

ConsIf you are looking for a 9 - 5 job, Secure-24 is not the place for you. The environment requires a bit of flexibility for individual contributors.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistency drives results. Focus on planning and making sure we act accordingly. Middle management needs to promote their team, to many of the management want the accolades or needs to be the guy/gal. Continue the leadership training will really go a long way for our organization.

Growing stronger every day

Engineering (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsIt's very much a 'get the job done' type of atmosphere. There is a laid back work environment, but the general idea is that you need to be able to deliver and work hard at any time, sometimes put in some unusual hours...or you won't be around for long. If you're the type that can't handle that atmosphere or are a clock watcher, it's not for you. I've seen teams pull together and solve problems and support each other to get issues resolved...compared to other companies, where the same situation would either turn into a finger pointing game or a drawn out political tangle. The hiring philosophy tends to focus on getting people in the door that have the potential to grow, which I enjoy much more than working with people who are stuck in their role or burned out from years in the same position. It's nice to work with people who are enthusiastic about sharing knowledge at all levels, rather than guarding it in their own personal silo for some sort of psuedo job protection.

ConsThe hours can get a little intense and the on boarding is a little rough around the edges. There's a fairly fresh middle management group so they're still shaking out some processes as the company has gone through fast growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementStrive to keep the atmosphere in place that helped the company get to where it is today.

Great place to work- Had 3 competing offers for my services

Engineer (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsI have been here a little over 7 months and so far it's been great- The company is small enough where they allow me to think outside of the box and present new ideas but also large enough to manage some of the worlds largest companies IT needs. I had 3 offers for my services and narrowed it down to Secure-24 and one other. I think I made the right choice.
    It sounds like the complaining in the other reviews are disgruntled employees but I have yet to see what they didn't like (or at least the extent that they talk about) regarding this place.
    I came from another local company that specialized in "online contests" and can tell you that Secure-24 is light years ahead as far as letting me run with new ideas. As far as sales goes, what can I say. I am an engineer and they sell the stuff. We are never going to always agree. It was the same at my previous two employers but we need them and the ABSOLUTLEY need us!! It's only been less then a year so far but from most everything I have seen/done I am very happy with my choice and I hope I can say the same thing 12 months from now. BTW-not many companies pay 100% of your medical insurance coverage and I have a wife and 2 kids that I don't pay a dime for!

ConsSometimes have some long hours and I think we should be compensated better for "overtime" as putting in 12 hours can be tedious.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs your company continues to grow make sure you are putting qualified leaders into leadership roles.

Good for those willing to learn fast

ProsSolid people, great technology. The balance between hard work, learning, mentoring and fun make it different than the usual IT gig.

ConsFast paced, requires lots of focus, but for those that learn fast do well. Sales are a bit varied in terms of what was sold, engineers in turn scramble to save the day

Not corporate America, it's better.........

Sales (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsEmployees are encouraged to bring their natural talents with them, the culture is VERY accepting and the environment is open to new idea's and people who think for themselves and who have a positive attititude. It's a Flat organization which means you have access to everything up to the CEO & COO their door is generally open and willing to listen.

ConsGrowth within an emerging company can take different path's, it's sometimes difficult to keep the momentum and service going in the same direction please keep what you've done in the past going.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove the benefits, all that you do for the people of Secure-24, the community and for the State of Michigan. Keep it up!

Great place to work at

SAP Basis Administrator (Current Employee) Southfield, MI

ProsVery dynamic environment. One of the few places where employer fully pays for health care with no paycheck deduction. People are very profession and easy to work with.

ConsGrowing company, but not very planned.

Extremely Technical, yet lacking in Management transparency. Great place to work, IF you can handle it.

(Current Employee)

ProsThe positives of working for this company are hands down, the technical experience and expertise. At least on my team. Since I have been here, my capacity for learning has skyrocketed (every day was a learning experience), and my understanding of even theoretical applications to solve a problem has been outstanding. They are not afraid of technology, and pushing its boundaries. Another pro is the people. There are good and bad people at every company, and Secure-24 has its share of both. The pro, is that the current "good" people really identify with us as individuals. I have VP's asking me how my family is doing, and my director makes sure that if he can help it, my time with my family is not interrupted. (See cons for the reverse of this). The team I work on is extremely loyal, and there isn't a single person on my team who I wouldn't help out in a heartbeat both personally and at work. I cannot speak for other teams about this level, but for my team, this is how it is.

My last pro, is a new program here that is seeking to bridge the communication and workflow between the teams. We have floating engineers who work in the areas where other engineers work, so they can better understand their process flow and expedite requests from two areas who may be disjointed. I have worked for a few companies (from the billions of dollars in revenue, to the "mere" millions) and I can tell you from experience, this is a great thing to have implemented.

ConsA lot of the cons come from the fact that the company is undergoing change. A management level change that extends from the Board of Directors, all the way to the Director(s) layers... is bound to create some issues. It is a growth thing. It is a maturity thing. The lessons learned from adding in multiple management layers, is ALWAYS going to create friction. Being a new person (hired in 2013), this does not bother me. I can see how it would impact long time employees, however that is not my perspective, so I cannot comment on things I have not been here for.

Another con, has been my work life balance. When multiple projects collide, and resources are spread thin.. you can essentially guarantee yourself a high amount of hours until project completion. If you cannot handle an occasional 55+ hour week, then this may not be a good fit.

Another con, is the stress level. Depending on your skill level, and the expectation of your skills, you can expect that more skill will typically equate to more stress. You need to enjoy challenge and adversity in your daily work. If you cannot handle that, this may not be a good place for you.

My last con. This is an engineering company. Fire the people who cannot do more than just push buttons after 6 months of ramp up time. They drag the teams down, they slow down progress, and in general.. make you shake your head at having to explain basic concepts to someone, over and over again. This whole policy of moving incompetent people to new teams so they can start all over, is mind-boggling to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementI honestly think Secure-24 is in a good place.Secure-24 has reached a threshold where a young and up-coming company now transitions to a long-term mature and stable company.

I get frustrated with things but when I stop and think about the long term, and I have been included in the VISION for the company.. it gives me a sense of purpose. My biggest advice... stop making management changes to the company without communicating it to the employees. Things have changed every quarter, we as employees are on the fence about whether you truly have OUR best interests at heart, or your money.

Choose the people who bust their butts for you, and watch your organic growth continue to happen.

Worked for Secure-24? Contribute to the Community!