Secure-24

Mike Jennings

Don't believe the hype

Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood co workers, usually.
100% benefits but I am sure that is the next to go.

ConsAfter reading the latest “positive” reviews I felt the need to add mine. Don’t the most recent positive reviews sound like they were written by the same person? Most likely someone on the inside trying to keep people from getting scared away.

The blame game is rampant here. The lowest guy on the totem pole is always at fault with no regard to possibly upper management is the issue. (not including the original founders who are now board members) Of course not, pretty fishy that out of the 50+ layoffs the past month none of the upper management that hangs out together on the weekends was touched. The workerbees had to suffer while the people that caused this mess still prosper and puff up their chests as so called “leaders”.

All the previous negative reviews are true; the positives are the one to question. Worst decision of my life to come here I hope to get out soon as do others.

Advice to Senior Managementnone - good luck to you

Horrible place to work

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
Detroit, MI

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are no Pro's, this company is rapidly declining.

ConsThis company was ran by children, managers that have bad reputations through out the Detroit metro area. They ran the company so poorly that it is now owned by a holding company and they've done mass lay-offs in the month of September.

Advice to Senior ManagementReplace your self with qualified, experienced management staff. I hope the new owners realize this and execute on this plan.

Secure-24 Lay-offs

I have been working at Secure-24 for more than 3 years

ProsThere are no " Pros " The future of S-24 is uncertain.

ConsAs of 9/18/2013 approximately 50 employees were laid off this week. Why? The Executive Leadership made poor choices throughout 2012 and 2013 that lead this mass layoff. The straw that broke the camels back was that the banks that hold S-24 loans demanded that the board institute layoffs immediately. S-24 had tremendous growth in Sales in 2013 but these deals were structured so that huge expenditures for IT hardware in these deals were financed over a period of years. This means very little money upfront, profit is not realized until 2 or 3 years later. Enough of these deals made S-24 cash poor. S-24 leadership did not manage the type of deals sales was bringing in. The result, Layoff's.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat happened to the culture and being good stewards? The leadership in the past valued trust and loyalty, it is now non-existent. Leadership portrayed the attribute of being Socially Conscious, with the layoff's they appear irresponsible, They hired over 75 people in the last 6 months and then layoff key employees, just to save money.... that stinks...

Senior Engineer

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Secure-24 full-time for less than a year

ProsThey have a great recruiter and the company is represented well from the outside.

ConsThis company has very poor management. The directors are very young and inexperienced. The sales department is desperate at times; misrepresenting the company services, almost to an unethical level. Almost everyone I know has left the company or wants to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire experienced managers and move out of the way.

Can't overcome its growing pains.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Secure-24

ProsIf you're just starting out, it's a good place to get some experience. Interesting co-workers on the operations side.

ConsSecure-24 is a company that is unable or unwilling to execute to create a better environment. The flexibility they talk about is countered by long working hours to fix the constant issues that arise. A serious disconnect exists between sales and operations. Sales has no accountability to deliver good deals and simply goes for the money while leaving operations to work like crazy to deliver on the promises the sales team has made.

While some new hires are trying to turn things around, the majority of senior management are still former engineers that have limited experience outside of Secure-24 which has led to an inability to change. Employees that come to the table with new ideas are typically ignored or pushed out of the company. Anyone considering employment here should do their research and take a look at the droves of employees that have recently left. Get *all* compensation promises in writing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake accountability and reign in your sales team. Offer compensation plans in line with the market.

A struggling company that may never grow out of its growing pains

Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Secure-24 full-time for more than 3 years

ProsBusy environment, you won't ever be bored.

Young and vibrant workforce, lots of eager faces

The company made significant capital investments on the infrastructure in the past, so it's a good opportunity to learn how a large hosting provider works

ConsUnreasonable work expectations, managers implement new shifts (for salaried workers) without consulting with them first. Despite an on call rotation, you will be expected to be available 24/7 and receive flak from your manager if you are not.

Complete disorganization with currently implemented customers. If you are working on a support team, expect to spend half your day hunting down people who have basic information like IP addresses to accomplish the simplest tasks. Any existing documentation is typically not maintained and out of date a week after it is created, a "knowledge infrastructure" is non-existent.

Company has shot its reputation in the foot with sloppy work and poorly set expectations with customers (sales will sell them a lie that can't/won't be delivered upon and you, as the engineer, will be left holding the bag in front of an angry client) and many of the "good deals" are searching for the exits, leaving only the worst, low profit customers. Any new deals are scraping the bottom of the barrel for companies who have not heard of S24's bad reputation yet. Deals are getting farther and farther outside of the scope that the infrastructure/engineers are able to support. Management responds by pushing the engineers harder instead of re-evaluating business strategy and infrastructure goals.

Employee development and growth is given lip service at best. When training is announced it's typically with a very limited budget and spots are first come, first serve, leaving many out in the cold. Environments are typically using 5-10 year old technology, so you will not be exposed to the latest in your daily tasks. Employees are kept in a "product box", if you are on the Linux team, expect to do only Linux and not offered any opportunity to collaborate with other teams & technologies, or even learn how "their side of the house works". I was once told by one of the senior architects that I should be learning anything I want to learn at home. While I do not expect my employer to be fully responsible for keeping me up to date, denying "on the job" training directly conflicts with what you will be told at company meetings, and hear touted to potential customers about development.

Abysmal management culture. Most managers were promoted from within and do not know anything about management. The ones that are "mentored" are even worse as there are a couple VPs who are absolutely toxic and spread their terrible management styles to those under them. Doesn't look like the VPs will be leaving any time soon, either.

All this without even mentioning the recent spat of layoffs and seemingly shaky financial ground the company sits upon. What was once a well managed company, fiscally and operationally, is now in the hands of a capital firm that seems more interested in re-sale than building a strong company. The owners who built it into the company it was are gone, along with all the money, which was not shared with anybody who helped them along the way. Expect to hear a lot of lip service to family, while experiencing one of the coldest corporate environments out there on a daily basis.

The scary thing is there are pockets of the company that do very well because they are shielded from the mess of the day to day operations. Workers in these areas can't understand why the others are so upset, because they think they have a pretty sweet deal. (I suspect these are the people writing the glowing reviews on this site) All this does is cause in-fighting and a lack of worker cohesion, leading to a quicker state of chaos. (as evidenced by a recent company meeting where engineers were engaged in a shouting match over how to handle 60-70 hour work weeks)

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to be thoroughly culled and managers with "turnaround experience" brought in. Business strategy needs to be refocused around sectors that existing infrastructure can support well. If new sectors are desired, there needs to be a collaborative effort from sales all the way down to the engineers to build an infrastructure that can support the new, untried deals. Employees need to be treated like human adults, given domain over their own personal time, and allowed to provide more direction on operations.

If S24 doesn't recognize it is sinking and do something to turn itself around now, expect a major exodus of all the remaining talent, leaving an empty corporate shell where nobody actually knows anything about what is going on, but they sure do know how to "manage" it.

CSR

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time for less than a year

ProsLots of room for advancement. lots to learn, very challenging

Consno work life balance, unrealistic metrics

Advice to Senior Managementhire more people & train better

A Promising Company On The Decline

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time

Pros1. Ability to work on a variety of technology types.
2. Insurance, but that's sure to fall away.

Cons1. Massive layofffs recently due to the inevitable mismanagement of a capital company that seeks profit rather than managing what the owners (Volker and Mattias) worked so hard to build.
2. The owners have abandoned the company and the dream is gone.
3. Corporate culture has 100% replaced the unique culture that Matthias and Volker worked hard to achieve. We are all just numbers now.
4. Business prospects are dwindling as the Sales Team uses greed and ego to go after large badge customers that are harder to implement and support than what build the company (quality ITO and application hosting).

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to get Matthias and Volker back and get rid of the capital company or you're going to see a mass exodus of talent and a declining customer base.

Misappropriated loyalty

I have been working at Secure-24

ProsThe company strives to maintain a personalized approach to its employees, and the benefits plan is easily the best I've had with any organization.

ConsThe company may strive to maintain its personalized approach, but struggles on how to do so in terms of a company that has since surpassed its start up status. Decisions on appointing its leaders are based on years with the company rather than really understanding someone's core leadership capabilities. In other words, promotion is more a function of seniority than ability, which is truly a shame for what could be a solid organization. Additionally, accountability is a key miss of Secure-24. Goals are set with no quantifiable plan on how to realistically achieve them, so high performers are left to measure their success against loosely and poorly defined standards. Our message to our clients centers around using technology to effectively manage their organizations and reallocate free time and resources to core business issues, but in this area, we're the psychiatrist with the dysfunctional family. The house with the great curb appeal, but internally is in shambles. It's a myopic business model that can result in great catastrophe if gone unaddressed.

Advice to Senior ManagementStep away from your day-to-day responsibilities and focus your time on the areas in which you excel - long term planning and business strategy. Find and appoint effective leaders that manage the more tactical areas of the business, foster talent, engage and retain your top performers and ensure that Secure-24 is the world class organization it strives to be. Stop fumbling your way through the growth process and find the people who have the talents to get things right the first time.

Good entry level engineering job

Linux Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Secure-24

ProsNice cubicles and lots of free coffee. Generally fun people to work with. Hands on with allot of really exciting technology.

ConsPoor management skills, poor time tracking skills. No clear set of expectations which often leads to conflicts with personal time.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop running your medium sized company like a small business. Get in touch with your employees and treat your engineers like you treat your sales. You would have nothing to sell without your engineers.

Worked for Secure-24? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Secure-24 reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Secure-24 CEO Mike Jennings. All 31 reviews posted anonymously by Secure-24 employees.