Secure-24 Reviews

Updated March 19, 2015
44 reviews filtered by

Extremely Technical, yet lacking in Management transparency. Great place to work, IF you can handle it.

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The positives of working for this company are hands down, the technical experience and expertise. At least on my team. Since I have been here, my capacity for learning has skyrocketed (every day was a learning experience), and my understanding of even theoretical applications to solve a problem has been outstanding. They are not afraid of technology, and pushing its boundaries. Another pro is the people. There are good and bad people at every company, and Secure-24 has its share of both. The pro, is that the current "good" people really identify with us as individuals. I have VP's asking me how my family is doing, and my director makes sure that if he can help it, my time with my family is not interrupted. (See cons for the reverse of this). The team I work on is extremely loyal, and there isn't a single person on my team who I wouldn't help out in a heartbeat both personally and at work. I cannot speak for other teams about this level, but for my team, this is how it is.

My last pro, is a new program here that is seeking to bridge the communication and workflow between the teams. We have floating engineers who work in the areas where other engineers work, so they can better understand their process flow and expedite requests from two areas who may be disjointed. I have worked for a few companies (from the billions of dollars in revenue, to the "mere" millions) and I can tell you from experience, this is a great thing to have implemented.

Cons

A lot of the cons come from the fact that the company is undergoing change. A management level change that extends from the Board of Directors, all the way to the Director(s) layers... is bound to create some issues. It is a growth thing. It is a maturity thing. The lessons learned from adding in multiple management layers, is ALWAYS going to create friction. Being a new person (hired in 2013), this does not bother me. I can see how it would impact long time employees, however that is not my perspective, so I cannot comment on things I have not been here for.

Another con, has been my work life balance. When multiple projects collide, and resources are spread thin.. you can essentially guarantee yourself a high amount of hours until project completion. If you cannot handle an occasional 55+ hour week, then this may not be a good fit.

Another con, is the stress level. Depending on your skill level, and the expectation of your skills, you can expect that more skill will typically equate to more stress. You need to enjoy challenge and adversity in your daily work. If you cannot handle that, this may not be a good place for you.

My last con. This is an engineering company. Fire the people who cannot do more than just push buttons after 6 months of ramp up time. They drag the teams down, they slow down progress, and in general.. make you shake your head at having to explain basic concepts to someone, over and over again. This whole policy of moving incompetent people to new teams so they can start all over, is mind-boggling to me.

I honestly think Secure-24 is in a good place.Secure-24 has reached a threshold where a young and up-coming company now transitions to a long-term mature and stable company.

I get frustrated with things but when I stop and think about the long term, and I have been included in the VISION for the company.. it gives me a sense of purpose. My biggest advice... stop making management changes to the company without communicating it to the employees. Things have changed every quarter, we as employees are on the fence about whether you truly have OUR best interests at heart, or your money.

Choose the people who bust their butts for you, and watch your organic growth continue to happen.

Great place to work IF you can handle it, explanation.

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time

Pros

Unlimited PTO as long as you get it approved...lol this is just to stop everyone from taking off their use it or lose it days at the end of the year. Guess what, now you have no days and nothing they need to pay out if you get let go.

Cons

Reading the review placed on April 16, 2014 is what made me want to make an account to post my review. This “review” posted on April 16, 2014. Was clearly written by upper management at Secure-24 posing as someone just hired in the past year. Some of these exact phrases in the pros and cons were given to me during my interview process. What really tipped me off was the title. “IF you can handle it” the so called “good” people at Secure-24 described in that review are the ones that never question anything no matter how unethical and have been brainwashed into thinking “handling it” is a badge of honor at Secure-24 without regard to your personal life, morals, and health. If you question your expectations (which change daily) you obviously can’t “handle it” and are shunned by all drunk on the kool aid. Trust no one.

“Everyday is a learning experience” It sure is when Secure-24 is your first job which is most of the staff here. You ever hear the expression that goes something like if you want to be a piano teacher you just have to be one lesson ahead of your students? You will learn all kinds of great things like how to make up excuses to customers and how to pass the buck and responsibility to anyone and everyone but you. If you can successfully learn these things you will go far at Secure-24, maybe even become a director or VP of something here. There was a mass layoff months ago and recruiters are circling this place like sharks scooping up the last few decent people while management herds in young, wide eyed kids who can “handle it”

Bottom line if you are an experienced individual don’t be lured in. Leave the sweatshop work to the kids.

Good Place to get Experience

Current Employee - Linux Engineer in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Linux Engineer in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Lots of people get promoted and they do a lot of hang outs.

Cons

Constant changing of Priorities. There is not time to see project to completion, most of the time it has to be just good enough.
    No teaching, the most you can hope for is to sit next to someone smart and learn.

The top doesn't know what we do but pretends to, you should learn better what we do.

5. "If you want to expand your technical skills, this is the place to be!"

Current Employee - Senior Engineer
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The chance to work on the latest and greatest technologies.The ability to work with some of the most senior engineering talent in Michigan!Lots of great activities and outings and a very impressive 100% health care plan.Work-life balance has gotten better over the last year and but there is still room for improvement

Cons

None,its best job I have ever had!

Keep it up.I find that all managers in the company are very friendly and open.The CEO and VPs are also very approachable.Do more happy hours!

A struggling company that may never grow out of its growing pains

Former Employee - Engineer in Southfield, MI
    Former Employee - Engineer in Southfield, MI

I worked at Secure-24 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Busy environment, you won't ever be bored.

Young and vibrant workforce, lots of eager faces

The company made significant capital investments on the infrastructure in the past, so it's a good opportunity to learn how a large hosting provider works

Cons

Unreasonable work expectations, managers implement new shifts (for salaried workers) without consulting with them first. Despite an on call rotation, you will be expected to be available 24/7 and receive flak from your manager if you are not.

Complete disorganization with currently implemented customers. If you are working on a support team, expect to spend half your day hunting down people who have basic information like IP addresses to accomplish the simplest tasks. Any existing documentation is typically not maintained and out of date a week after it is created, a "knowledge infrastructure" is non-existent.

Company has shot its reputation in the foot with sloppy work and poorly set expectations with customers (sales will sell them a lie that can't/won't be delivered upon and you, as the engineer, will be left holding the bag in front of an angry client) and many of the "good deals" are searching for the exits, leaving only the worst, low profit customers. Any new deals are scraping the bottom of the barrel for companies who have not heard of S24's bad reputation yet. Deals are getting farther and farther outside of the scope that the infrastructure/engineers are able to support. Management responds by pushing the engineers harder instead of re-evaluating business strategy and infrastructure goals.

Employee development and growth is given lip service at best. When training is announced it's typically with a very limited budget and spots are first come, first serve, leaving many out in the cold. Environments are typically using 5-10 year old technology, so you will not be exposed to the latest in your daily tasks. Employees are kept in a "product box", if you are on the Linux team, expect to do only Linux and not offered any opportunity to collaborate with other teams & technologies, or even learn how "their side of the house works". I was once told by one of the senior architects that I should be learning anything I want to learn at home. While I do not expect my employer to be fully responsible for keeping me up to date, denying "on the job" training directly conflicts with what you will be told at company meetings, and hear touted to potential customers about development.

Abysmal management culture. Most managers were promoted from within and do not know anything about management. The ones that are "mentored" are even worse as there are a couple VPs who are absolutely toxic and spread their terrible management styles to those under them. Doesn't look like the VPs will be leaving any time soon, either.

All this without even mentioning the recent spat of layoffs and seemingly shaky financial ground the company sits upon. What was once a well managed company, fiscally and operationally, is now in the hands of a capital firm that seems more interested in re-sale than building a strong company. The owners who built it into the company it was are gone, along with all the money, which was not shared with anybody who helped them along the way. Expect to hear a lot of lip service to family, while experiencing one of the coldest corporate environments out there on a daily basis.

The scary thing is there are pockets of the company that do very well because they are shielded from the mess of the day to day operations. Workers in these areas can't understand why the others are so upset, because they think they have a pretty sweet deal. (I suspect these are the people writing the glowing reviews on this site) All this does is cause in-fighting and a lack of worker cohesion, leading to a quicker state of chaos. (as evidenced by a recent company meeting where engineers were engaged in a shouting match over how to handle 60-70 hour work weeks)

Management needs to be thoroughly culled and managers with "turnaround experience" brought in. Business strategy needs to be refocused around sectors that existing infrastructure can support well. If new sectors are desired, there needs to be a collaborative effort from sales all the way down to the engineers to build an infrastructure that can support the new, untried deals. Employees need to be treated like human adults, given domain over their own personal time, and allowed to provide more direction on operations.

If S24 doesn't recognize it is sinking and do something to turn itself around now, expect a major exodus of all the remaining talent, leaving an empty corporate shell where nobody actually knows anything about what is going on, but they sure do know how to "manage" it.

Still a Great Place to Work

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Secure-24 is a fantastic company with many opportunities for smart technical people. Employees get to touch so many different types of technology. Overall, it is a great group of people to work with.
    In spite of a couple of rough months at the end of last year, some management changes have been made and the culture is still strong. I have to say that I truly enjoy coming to work every day.

Cons

Because we work in an extremely fast-paced environment, it can be difficult for some individuals to keep up the pace. The company is still "young" and as a result there are some growing pains.

A fine place to learn a technology, but a dysfunctional family on the whole

Current Employee - Engineer in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Engineer in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time

Pros

S24 is very engineering-heavy, and is a great place to develop skills with a particular application or technology.
    S24 provides excellent employee flexibility for work hours and timing, and many employees take long-ish lunches.
    S24 has a nice facility

Cons

Poor line managers that chase ticket metrics instead of understanding the underlying challenges of the business
    Current management is a verse to capital spending, and infrastructure suffers
    Utter lack of unified technological vision
    Sloppy sales scoping leading to project that lose money and antagonize engineers
    Total disregard for employee development except when it overlaps with business goals
    Former owners walked with tense of millions from the sale of the company, while longtime employees got precisely zero. Family indeed.

Unify tech vision under an experienced CTO.
    Offer equity to employees.
    Get sales under control

CSR

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Lots of room for advancement. lots to learn, very challenging

Cons

no work life balance, unrealistic metrics

hire more people & train better

10. Tread Lightly

Current Employee - Recruiter
    Current Employee - Recruiter

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

When things were good, they were really good! The people are (mostly) great and several technologies at hand.

Cons

Things have changed drastically, which is expected over time, but S24 was heavy on maintaining the work/life balance and neighborly atmosphere. Those things have both depleted. Not to mention the salaries are comprised of numbers randomly thrown about, 2 people in the same role may make 2 very different salaries. Management has become questionable and the loyalty has been thrown out the window.

Remember the principles that S-24 was built upon and try not to let that slip away any further than it already has.

Over all good company to work for

I have been working at Secure-24 full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a great start up company. Which gives you an opportunity to grow technically with in short time. As long as the management is happy with your performance and if you show the desire to learn, you can grow to be a senior member of the team. good place with work and life balance.

Cons

Too much of responsibilities for very less salary

They need to start paying the employees based on market value