SecureState

Updated December 9, 2014
Updated December 9, 2014
3.8

Ken Stasiak

They practice what they preach!

I have been working at SecureState full-time (more than an year)

Pros

SecureState is that rare company that actually does what it says it does. The company recognizes its employees are the secret to its success. Senior management is very interested in seeing its employees succeed and gives them the tools to be successful. Whether it is paying for certifications and continuing education, or training and development, the company is doing its part for the workers. On top of that, many companies say they have "open door" policies. SecureState managers actually listen and ensure the person with the question gets either an answer or directed to one. Open dialogue is key to the culture here.

Cons

The company has gone through growing pains, some of which are listed in Glassdoor. These issues are in the past and SecureState has moved on and improved. Folks looking at this should know every company has gone through growing pains. SecureState is no different.

Revolving door

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Cleveland, OH

I worked at SecureState as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Friendly co-workers. bar on site

Cons

Poor pay
    long hours
    unprofessional environment
    poor training
    travel

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I have been working at SecureState full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The day I started, everyone was happy and friendly. I thought, it's my first day so they are being overly nice and happy. I have to say in the 3 years I have been with SecureState, 99% of the time that is what you see every day! Of course everyone has bad days.

I have worked for several companies in the past, I know a good thing when I see it. Our CEO and CFO have an open door policy. We have a suggestion box which is completely anonymous and a committee that meets once a month to review and implement if they feel it is worthy (several items have been implemented).

We work hard (this is not a 9 – 5 job, lots of hours are put in), and we are recognized for our efforts. We often have cook-outs for lunch, and after-hour events throughout the year, we even have a family picnic. We have monthly meetings as a company, to brief us on what is happening (you may be acknowledged at one of them). We also have semi-annual mandatory meetings that discuss the future and what we have done as a whole since the last meeting. We have company cars that you are able to use when traveling to and from a client. We have a generous amount of PTO to balance our work and personal time. These are just some of the great things you will see here at SecureState.

Depending on your position you may have the opportunity to be interviewed by local media. They are here often.

The best decision I have ever made in my working career was to commit to SecureState when offered a position. There has not been a day that I have woken up and thought I didn’t want to come to work (other than because of being tired).

Cons

None that I can think of, honestly.

Be ready to work hard, learn a lot, and never be recognized for the effort

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford Heights, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford Heights, OH

I worked at SecureState full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Some of the absolute smartest people I've ever had the privilege of working with. The work was always cutting-edge and exciting. The skills you learn at SecureState will ultimately lead to greater opportunities elsewhere. You just have to learn to stick-it-out until that happens.

Cons

You may work like a dog and produce amazing results, but don't expect your compensation to increase beyond +5% per year (company policy). Bonuses consist of holiday hams (seriously) & after-hours alcohol (on-site). You won't fit-in with management unless you're willing to buy-in to the notion that "coolness" is much more valued than "expertise".

Consider valuing non-consulting employees. Consultants may be killing it in the field, but they wouldn't have engagements without the hard work of your administrative staff. Marginalizing them will continue the immense turnover rate at SecureState.

Turnover Nightmare!

Former Employee - Sales in Bedford Heights, Cuyahoga, OH
    Former Employee - Sales in Bedford Heights, Cuyahoga, OH

I worked at SecureState full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Bar on premise
    - Occasional after-hours events
    - Summer cookouts
    - Fully stocke kitchen

Cons

- Churn and burn environment. They go through employee's like water through a sieve. Look on other b-to-b peer websites and see how many former employee's they have. You'll be amazed
    - Reviews posted on here were all posted on the same date after a negative review was posted...h-m-m-m, very suspicious.
    - They want you to learn the Sandler Sales system but don't enroll you in a formal program. They give you cd's and expect you to learn from that. You never see it work in action. I asked repeatedly to see how the process works from start to finish and was never shown how it works.
    - Very poor marketing ideas. They think they are a Silicon Valley company. They spend tons of money on marketing campaigns that don't work. This is not the fault of the marketing department, but as a result of the ego of the owner.
    - They ask you to devote the time to develop a market strategy and campaign, but don't allow you the time to do so. If they ask you to develop a specific market, they want results within weeks. Sorry boys, it takes a minimum of a year to do that.
    - You're asked to do a 30-60-90 day review and if you don't possess the knowledge of the owner, you will be insulted upon completion. He's big on ego and insults, constantly reminding you that you're not as smart as him and you should be lucky to work there.
    - They have no effective way to support their sales staff and help them get in doors. They hired a telemarketing firm to try to set up appointments, but they do just as poorly as the sales staff.
    - One salesperson actually said to me "I don't cold call. I don't like to do. I just take the calls that come in." Unbelieveable! To that point, 85% of their business is repeat business. Very little effort to establish new business contacts. Perhaps that's why growth in the company is stagnant.

- Doesn't matter. When you have an ego the size of this company's owner, advice is just wasted.

- If this company is so great to work for as the reviews suggest (again, all posted on the same day) why do you have so many ex-employees. Can't all be the fault of the employee.

- People are relived to be out of this company. Ask yourself why?

If you want a career and not a job and have a lot of fun this is the place!!

I have been working at SecureState full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Limitless opportunities. If you want to grow and learn from the best SecureState is it. Small enough to still have a family feel, large enough to compete with the best! Company sponsored events, great brainstorming sessions, and lots of laughs.

Cons

If you want a 9-5 job this is not the place. You have to work hard and prove yourself, but once you do your career will soar

Keep the culture, we want "A" players on our teams!

Endless opportunities to learn and grow!

I have been working at SecureState

Pros

Your ideas are heard
    They care about your career development and encourage goal setting
    Company sponsored parties and events
    Reimbursed training and education
    Countless opportunities to learn and grow
    The leaders are visionaries and keep the company moving
    VERY little red tape to go through to get things done
    Fun company culture that is small enough to feel like a family
    They try to keep people happy so they can have a career and not a job
    Things are never boring
    Management ensures that people keep progessing forward and that things change with the industry

Cons

If you want a company environment where things are repetitive and you can scrape by with the bare minimum it certainly isn't the company for you. It is a fast paced company where things are always changing and people are expected to perform at their best. While some may see this as an opportunity, others may call it a con.

Keep moving forward and don't lose sight of what makes us unique!

Opportunities Always Present Themselves for those who seek them

Current Employee - Privacy Officer, Manager in Cleveland, OH
    Current Employee - Privacy Officer, Manager in Cleveland, OH

I have been working at SecureState

Pros

I left a very lucrative position in a $100 billion dollar financial institution to expand my resume' and for personal growth. SecureState has offered that and more: Learning on steroids while leveraging existing experience. This is the best of both worlds, productive immediately with numerous growth opportunities.

Cons

Working for a small company has it's pros and cons: nimble and without red tape, sometimes lacks strucuture. Structure cripples many companies and the government, but I think there is a happy medium.

Leadership is solid and appears to have a keen eye for industry trends. Need to not lose sight of its core value and mission as the company continues its growth.