SecureWorks Reviews

Updated September 13, 2014
Updated September 13, 2014
3.1

Michael S. Dell

Not a bad work place if you want to work for big Dell

Former Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SecureWorks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Still run largely independent from Dell. Growing fast, a lot of promotion potential.

Cons

Red tape: It's become increasingly difficult to get things done internally. There are far more hoops to jump through to get anything done. This is frustrating for employees and customers.

Cut through the red tape, make it easier for customer to do business with you.

Entrepreneurial spirit crushed into corporate-cog mold

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SecureWorks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Friendly people, decent benefits, so-so compensation.

Cons

There is a huge disconnect between corporate philosophy and individual managers. The company ideals around work/life balance are excellent, but individual managers have different ideas, and they can make life fairly miserable.

Many mangers have "risen to their level of incompetence" and, while they were great at what they did, are not cut out for (or haven't ever seen a good example of) people managing. Have seen many cases of new-ish managers feeling like they've gotten in over their heads, then proceed to micro-manage everyone until their direct reports transfer departments or quit the company. Some training in this arena would go a long way.

Prior to the acquisition (in 2011), SecureWorks was full of entrepreneurial-minded staff who could bend, adapt, learn, and were eager/able to help one another. Since the acquisition, most people who fit this description have left the company and Dell's hiring practices leave a LOT to be desired. New staff, while being friendly people, are happy/content/only able to do the one small piece of the job they were hired to do. There is little-to-no collaboration and tragically little innovation. In fact, *try* to be innovative and see how quickly it's pointed out that there's no precedent for it because no one's done it before (and no one currently in management can do anything that hasn't already been done). The fear is palpable.

Culture is everything and having good people managers is paramount a company's success. Most managers could use a mentor, or coaching, or some sort of training.

Drink your own cool-aid. Walk the talk.

Smoke and mirrors - RUN

Former Employee - Senior Computer Security Analyst
    Former Employee - Senior Computer Security Analyst

I worked at SecureWorks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

great culture and a lot of good people. The MMS Firewall/NIDS team are a top notch group of engineers. Great guys

Cons

They pitch there products as home grown and industry leading. The product does not even compare to a commercial SIEM. They excel in the SMB market because those companies are usually less technical and do not realize the sub par product they have purchased

Listen to your employees. Talk with your customers on a regular basis and at least act like you care.

Good place to learn

Current Employee - Systems Administration Advisor in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Systems Administration Advisor in Providence, RI

I have been working at SecureWorks full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great employees and culture. Part of a big company willing to invest in a clear area of opportunity within the tech industry.

Cons

Operates like a small business. Not enterprise ready. "Average" at best benefits and no commitment to flexible work options.

Great experience

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at SecureWorks

Pros

Great culture, great product, great service

Cons

Acquired by Dell making it harder to maintain culture

Focus on agility and innovation

Great company a lot of potential

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SecureWorks full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Very smart people security people
    Huge asset in having Dell back the organization.
    Very good in the Security Space
    Top notch executive and management folks
    Most of Executives and management folks are very technical which makes it easier to relate to security staff.
    Key folks in high places have worked there way up the ladder and understand technology.

Cons

Being part of Dell and using Dells tools can be challenging sometimes. Budgets are very tight at times.

Continue to look at other ways to diversify and leverage your exceptional staff. Some of the tools used in the company need to be consolidated to make things easier.

Start-up feel with large corporation deep pockets

I have been working at SecureWorks full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being part of Dell SecureWorks means being part of a fast-paced team of exceptional security researchers, analysts, and consultants. We stay at the forefront of evolving security threats, and the contributions of all of the front-line employees are valued by management to help us stay ahead of the adversary (as well as our competition!). We have a codified, streamlined channel for individual contributors to submit new ideas, process improvements, or new products to management to make things better for our customers. We retain a lot of the "start-up" feel we had prior to the Dell acquisition; the difference is, Michael Dell has provided a large capital infusion to help us innovate faster and better. Our management does a great job of deflecting "leadership" (in the Dilbert sense of the word) from above, while getting us the tools we need to perform our jobs.

Cons

With the new privatization, there have been some massive layoffs, and many people are concerned about their continued employment (although we've been assured that this will not affect SecureWorks.) While some portions of the company are embracing changes to the industry and leaping ahead, there are others which seem mired in the "this is how we've always done it" mentality, which hasn't adapted to changing market forces.

We should focus less on diversification of our portfolio, and more on continuously improving the services we currently offer.

Great team with challenging and interesting problems to solve.

Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SecureWorks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

High growth industry. Competitive salary with variable compensation.

Cons

Matrix environment makes it tough to move swiftly to execute on market opportunities.

Give more responsibility to senior leaders with an already high level of accountability.

Bad experience

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Atlanta, GA

I worked at SecureWorks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits and time off are okay. Good location. Clean working areas. The technology is old. Architects had to educated in Java/JDBC/WSDL, etc. So, it doesn't take a great deal of effort to look like someone special.

Cons

Managers have no recent practical engineering experience, just MBA degrees. Failed a security audit a couple of years ago. Sales department seems to be driving product development.

Advice? Care for your people more than short term monetary gain and long term monetary rewards will follow.

Bittersweet

Current Employee - Network Security Analyst in Providence, RI
    Current Employee - Network Security Analyst in Providence, RI

I have been working at SecureWorks full-time (more than an year)

Pros

SecureWorks has decent culture, is part of Dell, and has good benefits.

Cons

Management is extremely reactionary and not focused on quality. Of late, the focus is more on short-term revenues, but it is at the expense of our current customers as we do not have the resources to handle the increased volume.

Manage with a more long-term outlook, rather than only 1-2 months into the future.

SecureWorks Photos

R910 Hypervisor
Dell logo near the elevator
Breakroom microwaves