SecureWorks

Mike Cote

Great experience

Anonymous (Former Employee)

I worked at SecureWorks

ProsGreat culture, great product, great service

ConsAcquired by Dell making it harder to maintain culture

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on agility and innovation

Great company a lot of potential

Senior Manager (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I have been working at SecureWorks full-time for less than a year

ProsVery smart people security people
Huge asset in having Dell back the organization.
Very good in the Security Space
Top notch executive and management folks
Most of Executives and management folks are very technical which makes it easier to relate to security staff.
Key folks in high places have worked there way up the ladder and understand technology.

ConsBeing part of Dell and using Dells tools can be challenging sometimes. Budgets are very tight at times.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to look at other ways to diversify and leverage your exceptional staff. Some of the tools used in the company need to be consolidated to make things easier.

Start-up feel with large corporation deep pockets

I have been working at SecureWorks full-time for more than 5 years

ProsBeing part of Dell SecureWorks means being part of a fast-paced team of exceptional security researchers, analysts, and consultants. We stay at the forefront of evolving security threats, and the contributions of all of the front-line employees are valued by management to help us stay ahead of the adversary (as well as our competition!). We have a codified, streamlined channel for individual contributors to submit new ideas, process improvements, or new products to management to make things better for our customers. We retain a lot of the "start-up" feel we had prior to the Dell acquisition; the difference is, Michael Dell has provided a large capital infusion to help us innovate faster and better. Our management does a great job of deflecting "leadership" (in the Dilbert sense of the word) from above, while getting us the tools we need to perform our jobs.

ConsWith the new privatization, there have been some massive layoffs, and many people are concerned about their continued employment (although we've been assured that this will not affect SecureWorks.) While some portions of the company are embracing changes to the industry and leaping ahead, there are others which seem mired in the "this is how we've always done it" mentality, which hasn't adapted to changing market forces.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe should focus less on diversification of our portfolio, and more on continuously improving the services we currently offer.

Great team with challenging and interesting problems to solve.

Product Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at SecureWorks full-time for more than a year

ProsHigh growth industry. Competitive salary with variable compensation.

ConsMatrix environment makes it tough to move swiftly to execute on market opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive more responsibility to senior leaders with an already high level of accountability.

Bad experience

Senior Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at SecureWorks full-time for more than a year

ProsBenefits and time off are okay. Good location. Clean working areas. The technology is old. Architects had to educated in Java/JDBC/WSDL, etc. So, it doesn't take a great deal of effort to look like someone special.

ConsManagers have no recent practical engineering experience, just MBA degrees. Failed a security audit a couple of years ago. Sales department seems to be driving product development.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice? Care for your people more than short term monetary gain and long term monetary rewards will follow.

Bittersweet

Network Security Analyst (Current Employee)
Providence, RI

I have been working at SecureWorks full-time for more than a year

ProsSecureWorks has decent culture, is part of Dell, and has good benefits.

ConsManagement is extremely reactionary and not focused on quality. Of late, the focus is more on short-term revenues, but it is at the expense of our current customers as we do not have the resources to handle the increased volume.

Advice to Senior ManagementManage with a more long-term outlook, rather than only 1-2 months into the future.

The truth about Inside Sales...All Inside Sales jobs are Lead Generation roles. Don't be fooled.

Inside Sales (Former Employee)

ProsWork with smart folks
- Good work/life balance...8-5 M-F, Four weeks off during the calendar year
- Most Lead Gen folks have their own office
- Most folks will help you if you ask for it

Cons-The good "lead gen" folks all leave within 2 yrs, once they figure out there is no way they can move into an outside sales role and "triple" their income.
- No way to make more then $80K, even though you will be told top producers (1 out of 50 ) make $95K
- In order to be a "Security Specialist" or "outside"sales person, you will need at LEAST five years in the "security space." Just look at what their competitors require for "experience" for their "outside" sales roles
- Very "corporate" now that Dell took over. You will def be a "number" and not a "name."
- HR is a nightmare to deal with when it comes to benefits, payroll, etc. You better be able to figure out the "portal" yourself
- Lead Gen folks constantly and openly talk about interviewing at other companies
- No opportunity to advance into an "outside" sales role

Advice to Senior ManagementTell people that interview for "inside" sales roles, aka "lead gen" the truth about how much they can honestly make and let them know that there is no "real" opportunity for advancement. Again that is why very few folks stick around after year two...Remember "lead gen" folks do not close any opportunities, therefore do not refine their sales skills..It is hard to sell yourself to another firm that you are a "sales" person, when you don't actually close any sales...

Mixed experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SecureWorks full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLots of smart people working on cool things. Great global market opportunities.

ConsLack of decision making discipline, extreme risk aversion, and a tangled up tech stack that has stifled innovation for some time.

Great products, great people, great culture - a place to protect customers and grow yourself.

I have been working at SecureWorks full-time for more than a year

ProsThis is a great place to work with wicked smart, people who are fierce about the mission of protecting customers.

ConsI have nothing but positive things to say about my experiences at Dell SecureWorks

Advice to Senior ManagementNever lose the magic sauce that is the culture of this high-performing team.

Great People

Threat Intelligence Analyst, (Former Employee)

I worked at SecureWorks full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people are amazing. Great culture at the CTU and I would recommend people take advantage of that.

ConsThe takeover by Dell was less than satisfying. Work and life balance was a little off.

Advice to Senior ManagementMentor and support your newbie employees. Sometimes the atmosphere is fast paced and they need more direction.

Worked for SecureWorks? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SecureWorks reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SecureWorks CEO Mike Cote. All 35 reviews posted anonymously by SecureWorks employees.