Securian Financial Reviews

Reset
3.4
Securian Financial President and CEO Christopher M. Hilger
Christopher M. Hilger

Pros
  • Security, Consistent, Growth, Kind people, work-life balance (in 7 reviews)

• There is very good job security at Securian, people are rarely fired or let go (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Inflexible work schedules, "talk" work-life balance, but in reality, face-time in the office is what counts (in 3 reviews)

• Low pay relative to market, vastly over-hyped benefits, limited opportunities, legacy technologies (in 3 reviews)

1. Analyst

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive salary, great benefits, generally great people and leadership.

Cons

Behind on technology, slow to evolve.

2. Application Analyst

Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Good place to work and great benefits

Cons

always late to new technologies

3. Get vested and get out

Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Programmer Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time

Pros

Work life balance, nice people

Cons

Unrealistic and outdated view of technology, IT is seen as a necessary evil not an asset, HR and upper management hire by buzzword not by skill

5. Working at Securian

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company and good people. Saint Paul is a nice smaller city to work in. You can feel free to do your job and work fairly independent. There are some social aspects and clubs but no pressure to join in. Most people are honest, work pretty hard and are nice. They contribute to a pension plan for you and also award a profit sharing when goals are met. Conservative and well managed company and not overly political.

Cons

Depending on timing and projects the work load can be stressful at times. Overall, it seems to balance but ebbs and flows. The dress and manner of the culture is pretty conservative. This could be both pro and con.

6. Time of change

Current Employee - Senior Business Technology Analyst in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Senior Business Technology Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Stable company with a long history. They are conservative so they do not hire a lot of people and fire a lot of people. Many people will stay here for many years 25+. They have good benefits including a pension and over a 7% average yearly contribution to your 401K

Cons

The life work balance is not what it use to be. There is a push for people to work more and more. This is hard when the pay is not top of industry. Also there is not a lot of room in many areas for people to move up. People stay a long time so turnover is low but so are career advancement opportunities.

Advice to Management

Prioritize work for the company and then focus on it. Give people the time to work on the priorities and don't constantly add new top projects for them to work on before the first one is done.

7. Good job security, conservative and at times boring culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Job security, Can get in with little experience (good and bad), Training always provided, Friendly staff, good retirement, good pension, work/life balance

Cons

Overly conservative (culturally and related to software), largely boring and uninspired culturally, pay is generally below market rate, generally no real passion for computing

Advice to Management

Enable newer associates, spark change in the culture, don't be afraid to have some personality and/or edge at times, raise the pay a little

Long Time Employee Observations

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time

Pros

Financially strong organization with high ethics and over achieving employees.

Cons

Salaries and benefits are not staying competitive. The organization is not adapting quickly to the way that younger associates work (i.e. telecommuting or alternative work arrangements are not sanctioned from the top down). The corporate culture is very stoic with much spin placed on trying to convince employees that it's not.

Be careful of which division you apply for.

I worked at Securian Financial

Pros

Conservative company with a watch others do before doing yourself attitude.

Cons

Opportunities to advance are limited. They invest in a management services program that promotes people right out of college to supervisory and management positions, often when exiting qualified candidates are doing the daily work at the time. Certain divisions are known for being cliquey and you need to CYA in everything you do. High rate of employees seeking mental health treatment for stress directly related to job expectations.

Advice to Management

Avoid the cliquey behaviors and recognize talent beyond those with degrees. It is hard to expect your employees to be dedicated to their jobs, when their leadership is managing with suspect morals.

10. Decent company, but employed under a total failure of a manager

I have been working at Securian Financial

Pros

The people, the relationships, the compensation

Cons

One manager, the micromanagement, and lack of constructive feedback

Advice to Management

Utilize worker feedback and proactively discuss with management

I've worked here over 3 years and still can't decide how I feel

Current Employee - Applications Analyst in Saint Paul, MN

I have been working at Securian Financial full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've worked in IT (app development) at Securian for over 3 years now and I still can't really decide how I feel about it. Some days I hate it, some days I love it. In general, most if the good spin they put on it is honestly true. It is generally a good company to work for, with a great work-life balance, and you'll work with good people, laugh a bit, and have a manager who is honestly looking out for your best interest. The environment is not competitive and everything is highly ethical and handled professionally and by the books. Unless you're "extraordinarily good", or "extraordinarily bad", you can expect that you'll your first promotion in 18-24 months, and the next 18-24 months after that. You'd have to be either really good or really bad to not get promotions in those time frames.

Specifically in regards to IT, there is a growing movement to get things modern, agile, open source, all that good stuff.

Cons

All that being said, it is hard to get over the fact that there are an extraordinary number of people who work here that have absolutely no clue what they are doing. Particularly the older people who have worked their way up the ranks just due to putting in their time. Securian's trust in your skills depends solely on your years of service at Securian, so it makes it quite difficult to change things. Unlike what other people say, I will note that you absolutely CAN get good things done IF you are willing to push hard enough, and try long enough. But... it is so hard to do so that people tend to get burned out and either quit or accept things as they are within a few years. I'm currently at that few year point and deciding which path I want to take. I hate to see myself turning into the accepting type, but it just takes so much energy to get good things to happen, and there is really no reward (since as I mentioned, 95% of people get promotions in the same timeframe regardless of performance)

Working at life insurance company, there is almost no potential for you to have a career and look back at it and see how you improved the world. If all you want is a good job at a good company with good people, then Securian is probably your place. Maybe you have hobbies that will allow you to change the world. If so, great. Securian will never make you work overtime, so you'll have plenty of time to explore those hobbies.

If you're super ambitions and feel like you want to have a career where you can say you did something to change the world, then I'd honestly recommend you look elsewhere. I can make the case that almost any other company would give you a chance at improving the world... Securian will not. It's life insurance. We deal with death. Keep that in mind.

Advice to Management

Please please please fire or at least demote people that cannot perform. The IT department could honestly get just as much work done with half the staffing, if the staff was organized correctly and the incompetent ones let go. Every day I see good people being lazy because there is no reward for being ambitious. They know at the end of the day they will all get almost the same MIP bonus and same raise as everyone else.

RSS Feed </> Embed