Security Benefit Group

Updated November 30, 2014
Updated November 30, 2014
3.2

Kris A. Robbins

Great company with great people

I have been working at Security Benefit Group full-time

Pros

Security Benefit treats their employees very well. Management is quite open on where the company is at today and where the company is heading. They also sponsor multiple events throughout the year to keep morale high and the environment relaxed. With multiple different roles in the company, there is definitely a position that will match your skill set.

Cons

Pay seems to be on the lower end of the industry, mostly due to COL being so low in Topeka.

Great retirement plan, benefits, not a lot of loyalty for employees

Former Employee - Field Manager in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Field Manager in Topeka, KS

I worked at Security Benefit Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefit pkg was great in years past. profits were shared with employees. Position required work from home as located in another state.

Cons

When services can be combined to overload another they cut the strings quickly. Not enough people to do the job.

Take the time to reap the rewards of those employees that have grown in the organization. Make employees feel needed and appreciated.

RVP

Former Employee - RVP in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - RVP in Topeka, KS

I worked at Security Benefit Group as a contractor (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good work environment although it's changed a lot in the last 3-4 years because of the financial crisis. There's be a complete turnover in senior management with the new owners hand picking outsiders to run the business. Company has a good reputation within the industry which is a big plus. It used to be in the Top 100 nationally for working mothers, I'm pretty sure this is no longer true. They're part owners in the LA Dodgers and they sponsor a NASCAR team. That's got to count for something... right?

Cons

Because of mis-management in late 2000 the company was put in harms way with respect to its financial situation. What had been a privately held mutual company for 100+ years had to be sold for bargain prices. The company continues to claw and fight its way back to the prominence it once had

Bring back some of the qualities the company was known for within the non-profit financial services market.

Great experience for over 15 years until President Kris Robbins gutted a 100+ year old company.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I worked at Security Benefit Group full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Professional people, excellent benefits, and good working environment.

Cons

Culture has changed due to East Coast ownership.

Follow the prior Midwestern culture and work ethic - less East Coast "dog-eat-dog" management style. Product mix appears to be taking on an advanced amount of risk.

Big Ideas; Execution Sometimes Bumpy

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst (IT) in Topeka, KS
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst (IT) in Topeka, KS

I worked at Security Benefit Group full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This company has some excellent ideas for growth and development. For the SB side, partnerships with IMOs appear to have been very lucrative and have made the company one of the top providers of Fixed Indexed Annuities in the U.S. On the se2 side, the company has some very exciting projects involving top financial services clients. There is a lot going on, and lots of opportunities for advancement. The benefits are very competitive, and people's attitudes were great. It is a can-do sort of company.

Cons

My job in se2's IT area was very stressful. I felt like I was often forced to make decisions above my pay grade because management was not always well informed about particular issues. I worked a lot of long hours. At times, my (and my family's) quality of life suffered greatly. The se2 side has taken on too many new commitments and seems to have trouble staffing to meet their obligations.

Learn to say "no" or "we can't do that right now" to clients... and to your marketing department. My biggest headaches involved super-optimistic commitments from those above me. I hated the constant feeling that I had to cash a check someone else had written.

Also: Pay your BSAs more -- their job is at least as hard as your programmers' job.

Foundation has been set for future growth

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Security Benefit Group full-time (more than an year)

Pros

History, General Account Management, Market approach and increasing sales give a great opportunity to grow your career within.

Cons

Industry inconsistency, private equity makes SBG not a widely known name, and some client resources need updated

Great management style as is. Only suggestion would be to provide increased and thorough training of Security Benefit retirement platforms and industry (as it is a very complex one).

Horrible company

I worked at Security Benefit Group

Pros

Decent benefits. Nice co-workers. That's about all.

Cons

No culture, supervisors that don't know their departments, big brother mentality. Don't be a minute late getting back from lunch or write a personal email on company time!

Spend more time making your company profitable and less trying to babysit everyone.

Accountant

I worked at Security Benefit Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to learn vast aspects of insurance accounting. Great benefits!

Cons

Limited growth opportunities for the employees.

Reward good employees more frequently and encourage knowledge sharing.

Security Benefit

Current Employee - IT Engineer in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - IT Engineer in Topeka, KS

I have been working at Security Benefit Group full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits, Salary, Career opportunity, facilities, location

Cons

Senior Management, office politics, financial stability

Opportunity for Growth

I have been working at Security Benefit Group

Pros

Management is supportive of personal development and innovation. Realignment of Senior Executive leadership towards more organic growth and development of niche opportunities is very positive. Sale of company to private investment keeps the short term profit mentality out of the picture and allows tghe company capital to grow, should result in growth opportunities for associates.

Cons

Need centralized control to insure growth opportunities are maximized. Growth needs to be focused not a shotgun approach that will waste resources.

HF is in a good role as the stabilizing leader in the short term - Need someone with vision and some iron in their pants to control the line of business heads and set some realistic growth goals.