Security Service Federal Credit Union

Updated July 18, 2014
Updated July 18, 2014
3.2

David E. Reynolds

GREAT Company to work for!!!

Current Employee - Sr Member Relationship Officer in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Sr Member Relationship Officer in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Security Service Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The company truly and genuinely cares about it's members and it's employees.

Cons

Credit Union is new to Utah and still in process of building name recognition within the community.

Need to better learn how to schedule employees based on branch needs.

Stressful

Current Employee - Senior Member Relationship Officer in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Member Relationship Officer in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Security Service Federal Credit Union full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits are really great, schedule can be flexible at times

Cons

Sometimes have to work long shifts, turnover is very high at our particular branch, micromanaging is an issue as well. The more people are leaving, the higher our goals are. Goals are not commission but they do withhold you from being promoted, and since our turnover is high, our goals are higher which makes it very stressful to move up. The culture is very negative at our branch as well due to the managers going through cameras when they don't believe us, questioning when we call in sick. A co-worker of mine's father died and when she was going home she was asked "will you be coming back today" . So you can kind of see what type of environment it is. If we make a comment of suggestion to higher level management, we are called into the office and get in trouble for it, making the employees very cautious to the things they say to upper management which is unfortunate because we should feel as though there is an open door policy to give our opinions and suggestions. We also cannot be 1 minute late for lunch or it is counted as a tardy. We cannot leave even if we are puking our brains out unless we have worked 5 hours or it is counted as an absence. Work-life balance is not there.

Please reconsider how goals are done at service centers, please reconsider work-life balance, stop cutting positions for busy locations. Have managers take members as well since we are so short handed. Allow us to get approved for loans like a member would, it takes several days for loan approvals for employees.

Sales oriented credit union dedicated to the members

Current Employee - Teller in Orem, UT
    Current Employee - Teller in Orem, UT

I have been working at Security Service Federal Credit Union part-time

Pros

plenty of opportunities to progress in the company

Cons

very sales oriented w/o motiavtion of commision.

Business Analyst

I worked at Security Service Federal Credit Union

Pros

Great company, I worked with some very intelligent yet humble people. Work environment is great, very friendly. The managers know their team members very well. You can have a great work and life balance.

Cons

Nothing as such, its a good company.

A good company to work for.

Current Employee - Member Service Representative in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Member Service Representative in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Security Service Federal Credit Union full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Having every Sunday off is nice, and the hours are fairly flexible, depending on what job you have.

Cons

Pay. I know credit unions are not for profit, but the pay just isn't competitive with other financial institutions in the area.

Pay more if you want to stop losing employees to USAA

Great place to work, good to the members and employees

I have been working at Security Service Federal Credit Union

Pros

great work places, a lot of chances to move up and grow in with the company

Cons

not unified on procedures in each branch, if you go to one might be different in another

ask before you apply

I have been working at Security Service Federal Credit Union

Pros

Ok pay, not so much pressure to sales

Cons

management get to know all your financial situation, if u call about a fee or and application, your manager has to know. I called for a fee ones to get a courtesy fee reversal and my manager had to know and deside if she was going to approve it or not,
    Also the salary should be higher base on you job description

Good when company needs you else make you leave for silly reasons and mental torture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Security Service Federal Credit Union full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Nothing which i see.. other than misusing employee at right time else torture mentally.

Cons

Felt racism. management or HR never listen if u by chance don't listen to your manager. U will be fired.
    Irrespective of work whole night, u need to be in office morning hour and no as such comp off. if u think u r taking comp off, management thinks u r going your way not company way so u near firing.

Wish HR listen to employee and send message to higher management to look at both side of the issue and NOT just listen whatever manager/VP says is correct.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Security Service Federal Credit Union

Pros

They focus on treating their members and employees well.

Cons

There are none that I can think of.

Members and employees always come first

Current Employee - Management in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Management in San Antonio, TX

Pros

This company continues to grow and grow every year I've been here (7 years). The executive management has a key emphasis on employee benefits, corporate culture and the ever-growing membership. Revenue and profits for the company continue to increase, but are not the key emphasis for executive decisions, which filter down the corporate chain.

Cons

SSFCU is a non-profit credit union so the pay-scale is about industry average, however they make up with great benefits. SSFCU is catching up to all the latest technologies, however they are not a market initiator of implementing new technology, but a follower (i.e. Mobile app came late in the game).