Sedgwick Claims Management Services

Updated January 24, 2015
2.5

Sedgwick Claims Management Services President and CEO Dave North
Dave North

Pros
  • The company valued a flexible work/life balance along with providing good benefits (in 30 reviews)

• Good people, supportive management, work-life balance, career development (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • this is not a company that encourages work/life balance (in 19 reviews)

• pay is silly for the amount of work you are responsible for (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

I love working with all the positive and friendly people in my unit.

Current Employee - Claims Assistant
    Current Employee - Claims Assistant

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services

Pros

Paid time off is huge. I also enjoy that everyone works well together. Nice people. Culture and core values are great in Wisconsin

Cons

Lower pay compared to other in industry.

People need more efficient training

Claims Representative

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services

Pros

I only worked at this TPA for a few months before taking a better position with a different TPA. The PTO provided after the first 90 days was certainly a pro - I believe it was 21 days PTO.

Cons

The environment was stodgy and everyone basically hit in their cubicles and tried to lay low. The claim loads were very high (175+) and people were constantly working on Saturdays. Thus, the 21 day PTO benefit was not all that great when there was too much work required to be able to take the time.

Not much. The satellite office management is basically useless.

Sr. Financial Account Coordinator

Current Employee - Senior Financial Account Coordinator in Memphis, TN
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Account Coordinator in Memphis, TN

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services

Pros

PTO is great and benefits are good. They have the job opportunities

Cons

Salary is terrible and management as well. Structure is definitely a need. No work/life balance

Please listen to employees. They do the work not you

Starting to Micro Manage the call center... PPL quit Weekly

Current Employee - Service Center Representative in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Service Center Representative in Plano, TX

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services

Pros

Tons of PTO and Paid holidays and usually the day after. Dress code is very relaxed in the Plano Office.

Cons

Starting to look at every little thing that can honestly be looked passed. Its hard to actually use your PTO with them changing the rules daily.

Better Pay. More knowledgeable management

Good Job

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodbury, MN
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Woodbury, MN

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services

Pros

Ample amounts of vacation, room for growth, support of growth, Monday - Friday day hours and holidays paid off. Above par health benefits. 401k with up to 6% match.

Cons

Although there is room for growth, sometimes takes awhile for opportunity to arise. Knowledge of all processes needed are sometimes lacking or absent from coworkers and/or management.

Continue supporting hard workers, review your staff members duties so that you are knowledgeable as well.

Claims assistant

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services

Pros

Paid holidays, flexible with schedule if needed.

Cons

Workload and salary. Can't use PTO freely.

Service Center Representative

Current Employee - Service Center Representative in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Service Center Representative in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Vacation Time, and no weekends!

Cons

No room for much growth within the company

None

For those who want work to be their lives

Current Employee - Disability Specialist
    Current Employee - Disability Specialist

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best part of my job was working with great people. I had a great boss: kind, non-intimidating, open to suggestions and encouraging. I loved my benefits: PTO, healthcare, 401K. I liked being able to ask for help from my co-workers. I liked celebrations we had once in a while: birthdays, paid lunches if we had a seminar or occasional appreciation days.

Cons

Initially I thought I would like the job. We worked as a team and in the beginning all I had to do was review medical for my colleagues and I would leave as soon as my release time was done. Within a month or two, the workload started growing to a point where I was staying longer hours and felt happy when I was able to leave after 9 hours at the job (skipped lunch break). Once I started handling my own cases, the workload grew unbearable: 10 hours per day, 5 days a week were normal.

The case managers were obligated to handle it all when it came to our claims: review medical, update state offsets (requiring lengthy calculations), listen to customers venting about their pay (which we always had to redirect to their HR since we did not handle pay-just made decisions), denials (being shouted at in front of your peers: very difficult), answering voice-mails within 24 hours, doing every type of call needed: approvals, initial contacts, denials, reminders, serving as a middleman between doctors and patients, listening to everyone's complaints, reviewing pages and pages of medical.

The hardest parts of my job were handling medical and making decisions (sometimes up to 10 per day) within a couple of hours of reading medical. If medical is vague as every healthcare worker knows can happen with chronic illnesses, we had to follow-up with both the patients and the doctor's offices, which caused considerable stress from having to speak to defensive claimants and exasperated employees at the medical office and increased the workload. If one of my team members took off of work (which happened a lot since PTO is generous), the rest of the team ended up working longer to complete their share of the work. So in essence, the company did not lose any money by offering generous PTO since they made the rest of us take over and we worked several hours extra per day to make up for this. We did not work on our own pace: we had a number of tasks assigned per day which could fluctuate from 20 (which was manageable) to up to 40 (unbearable). We could not leave until each of those tasks were completed and they are monitored by our management. Pay is salaried: no overtime compensation, lunch breaks can be worked through and working 11 hours per day is the same pay as working 8 hours per day.

My peers were wonderful but there is a sense that the company does not mind saving money over the expense of their workers. It takes a very hardy person to survive the long hours. Stress, dread, anxiety and the gnawing at the pit of the stomach at the thought of going back to the work made me realize this was not work the money.
    My life suffered, my family suffered, my mental and physical health suffered (gained 10 pounds from sitting long hours and depression from the work stress/no time for personal life). I could not survive a year with the company.

Find ways to cut the workload: have a FAQ section so we aren't asked the same questions over and over from claimants, cut having to follow up with every piece of medical, put more emphasis on the claimant's responsibilities, find temporary replacements when team members are out of the office, more work from home options, less stress at the workplace. If Sedgwick grows every year, it is due to the hard work of thousands of faceless employees: start showing appreciation by rewarding those worker who sacrifice their family lives to support the company.

Very Distant

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation package and fellow employee's.

Cons

Lack of training and direction. Was told "here, do this" I would receive instructions from one team member that would conflict with another and it reflected poorly on me. Then when the supervisor would get involved I was told a third way of how it was to be done. No consistency.

For onboarding of new team members, provide one mentor to teach and direct.

Over Worked and Under Paid

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services

Pros

Medical Benefits on Day 1
    Lots of overtime

Cons

Too much work
    Micromanagement
    Supervisors gossip too much

Learn how to manage and be leaders not gossipers and snakes

Sedgwick Claims Management Services Photos

What your desk will look like.
The breakroom.