Sedgwick Claims Management Services

www.sedgwickcms.com
Profile Unclaimed

For those who want work to be their lives

Current Employee - Disability Specialist
    Current Employee - Disability Specialist

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The best part of my job was working with great people. I had a great boss: kind, non-intimidating, open to suggestions and encouraging. I loved my benefits: PTO, healthcare, 401K. I liked being able to ask for help from my co-workers. I liked celebrations we had once in a while: birthdays, paid lunches if we had a seminar or occasional appreciation days.

Cons

Initially I thought I would like the job. We worked as a team and in the beginning all I had to do was review medical for my colleagues and I would leave as soon as my release time was done. Within a month or two, the workload started growing to a point where I was staying longer hours and felt happy when I was able to leave after 9 hours at the job (skipped lunch break). Once I started handling my own cases, the workload grew unbearable: 10 hours per day, 5 days a week were normal.

The case managers were obligated to handle it all when it came to our claims: review medical, update state offsets (requiring lengthy calculations), listen to customers venting about their pay (which we always had to redirect to their HR since we did not handle pay-just made decisions), denials (being shouted at in front of your peers: very difficult), answering voice-mails within 24 hours, doing every type of call needed: approvals, initial contacts, denials, reminders, serving as a middleman between doctors and patients, listening to everyone's complaints, reviewing pages and pages of medical.

The hardest parts of my job were handling medical and making decisions (sometimes up to 10 per day) within a couple of hours of reading medical. If medical is vague as every healthcare worker knows can happen with chronic illnesses, we had to follow-up with both the patients and the doctor's offices, which caused considerable stress from having to speak to defensive claimants and exasperated employees at the medical office and increased the workload. If one of my team members took off of work (which happened a lot since PTO is generous), the rest of the team ended up working longer to complete their share of the work. So in essence, the company did not lose any money by offering generous PTO since they made the rest of us take over and we worked several hours extra per day to make up for this. We did not work on our own pace: we had a number of tasks assigned per day which could fluctuate from 20 (which was manageable) to up to 40 (unbearable). We could not leave until each of those tasks were completed and they are monitored by our management. Pay is salaried: no overtime compensation, lunch breaks can be worked through and working 11 hours per day is the same pay as working 8 hours per day.

My peers were wonderful but there is a sense that the company does not mind saving money over the expense of their workers. It takes a very hardy person to survive the long hours. Stress, dread, anxiety and the gnawing at the pit of the stomach at the thought of going back to the work made me realize this was not work the money.
    My life suffered, my family suffered, my mental and physical health suffered (gained 10 pounds from sitting long hours and depression from the work stress/no time for personal life). I could not survive a year with the company.

Find ways to cut the workload: have a FAQ section so we aren't asked the same questions over and over from claimants, cut having to follow up with every piece of medical, put more emphasis on the claimant's responsibilities, find temporary replacements when team members are out of the office, more work from home options, less stress at the workplace. If Sedgwick grows every year, it is due to the hard work of thousands of faceless employees: start showing appreciation by rewarding those worker who sacrifice their family lives to support the company.

Very Distant

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Chicago, IL

I worked at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Compensation package and fellow employee's.

Cons

Lack of training and direction. Was told "here, do this" I would receive instructions from one team member that would conflict with another and it reflected poorly on me. Then when the supervisor would get involved I was told a third way of how it was to be done. No consistency.

For onboarding of new team members, provide one mentor to teach and direct.

Over Worked and Under Paid

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services

Pros

Medical Benefits on Day 1
    Lots of overtime

Cons

Too much work
    Micromanagement
    Supervisors gossip too much

Learn how to manage and be leaders not gossipers and snakes

Needs a desperate change in management --ASAP

I worked at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

PTO/HOLIDAYS
    Benefits
    Other employees
    401k
    Not sure what else to say as this is all that's good about this company.

Cons

Unprofessional Management - No work/life Balance - No proper training - gossip - lack of opportunity for growth. Upper management doesn't do much to make necessary changes.

Listen to your employees - watch your managers they are bullying some of their employees. They talk about you to others. This company will lose a lot of great workers if they don't do something FAST!

My Perception of the work environment as a Sedgwick Examiner

Current Employee - Claims Examiner III
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner III

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Paid holidays
    Plenty of vacation (if you are able to use it)

Cons

No work home life balance. Workload and expectations are crazy and you are set up to fail. At any given time there will be someone in the office crying and that includes the supervisors. If a colleague is out on vacation or out on STD there is no coverage. Colleagues are unable to finish their own work never mind be told you have to cover other peoples desk.

The issues with the company are not the management. Management works their butts off just has hard as the rest of us. I Challenge Dave North to come on down and sit at a desk and do what he is expecting of the colleagues.

Poor management

Former Employee - Service Center Representative in Memphis, TN
    Former Employee - Service Center Representative in Memphis, TN

I worked at Sedgwick Claims Management Services

Pros

Great benefits. They provided all my equipment and paid for my internet service. Really good training.

Cons

Very poor management. You are harassed constantly by managers on a daily basis. Quality control was out of control. They do not seem to appreciate a good employee. Employee turn-over is high.

Service Center Representative

Current Employee - Service Center Representative in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Service Center Representative in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Vacation Time, and no weekends!

Cons

No room for much growth within the company

None

Claims Examiner II

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Frisco, TX

Pros

Lots of PTO
    Casual environment
    Good co-workers

Cons

Pay is below industry
    Raises are small, they don't keep up with inflation and are not merit based
    manager above your immediate supervisors are not connected with the work force
    work backs up when you are on PTO

Nice Company

Current Employee - Service Center Representative in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Service Center Representative in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Sedgwick Claims Management Services

Pros

Benefits, Schedule, Training, Dress Code, Growth Opportunity

Cons

Leadership, Hours, Lack of Communication, Short Staffed, No Space

More training

Looks great on an interview, not a job for everybody.

Current Employee - Claims Examiner I in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Claims Examiner I in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Intelligent, personable co-workers. A job that looks great on a resume and a job that will be very useful in future interviews.

Cons

Difficult to use the generous amount of PTO given. You will need to work extra hours and be overwhelmed upon returning to the office.

Lighten up the case load for examiners or pay them more to compensate fairly for the amount of work.

Sedgwick Claims Management Services Photos

What your desk will look like.
The breakroom.