Seeking Alpha

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Seeing the positive effects of big changes in the last 4 months

ProsThe management team made some major changes in the New York office in the last 4 months and the effects are being seen clearly. Overall there is a real attention to the culture and moving toward better connection/communication between all offices. Upper management makes time to get to know all new employees at all levels within the company. There is a commitment to transparency that runs from the small details to the big picture.

ConsLike any company experiencing a lot of growth things change a lot but I think that as time goes on this will diminish.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on the course you started, the culture of Seeking Alpha is on a great path.

Disjointed experience with a firm that doesn't seem to have a handle on what it wants to be when it grows up...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAdmin staff are friendly and upbeat.

ConsEgo's on staff, petty contributors who seem to spend most of their time ripping on others. Not very collegiate, nor professional. Back-biting amongst various departments too. Seems almost paranoid.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop worrying so much about being the most "popular" on the playground and focus on consistent content.

Let Times Subscribers Vote On Whether It Should It Be Compared To A Tabloid

Contributor (Current Employee)

ProsIt is a means to have something published if it is what one would like to do. Some contacts can be gained as a result.

ConsThe company is probably the product of failed investment professionals whose business plan is independent of performance, or redeeming aspects of the field that draw upon high skills. If it is the case, it might explain some of the “Cons.”

i) Page view data has had consistent reliability issues.

ii) Enough lousy articles are published that external parties describe contributors as bloggers. Further, some of the particularly bad pieces are popular, make money for the site, and can lead to categorization as an “Opinion Leader.”

iii) An article can be designated an “Editor’s Pick” through a process with strange guidelines. It can be degrading. For example, a July 7, 2014 biotech article makes several inaccurate attempts at discrediting other persons and has been selected as one. The article has over 250 comments, relevant to the previous Con.

iv) Seeking Alpha has a space in the upper middle of its home page for “Top Articles” that seems mostly uncorrelated with worthiness. It is probably there to attract an easily distracted audience. (Similarly, marketing of radio shock jocks is different from that of a presidential debate?).

v) Constructive dialogue can be affected through means of a "Like" button that takes precedence over analytical communication. Someone could be in the act of committing a heinous crime while liking the pictures of persons whose comments include incorrect math.

vi) I have observed a person appear as a writer on the site, produce work that is both unoriginal and antithetical to worthwhile discussion, and then join the company's Market Currents (now Breaking News) staff!

vii) Seeking Alpha has an ongoing subscription project that makes use of uneven standards. Part of the platform involves repeated selection of some persons’ submissions, labeling them positively as ‘asymmetrical risk / reward’ situations, with consistently negative results. Some selections do not even meet the 'criteria.'

viii) Here is a story: there was a lawsuit by one the world’s better known hedge fund managers. Some questionable behavior by a contributor, who does not seem particularly bright, led to it. Though the complaint did not seem to have sound legal ground, it probably was needed on behalf of the aggrieved party.
    At the conclusion, Seeking Alpha’s editor-in-chief posted an article summarizing the matter. The billionaire who had complained then personally appeared on the site to the let the editor-in-chief know that his story was “Materially incorrect.” The editor-in-chief then corrected his story in a far more substantive way than a spelling error or inaccurate data figure is tended to at newspapers.
    Not only is the contributor still participating, Seeking Alpha’s staff has exercised objectionable judgment in promoting the person.

ix) There have been hundreds or thousands of complaints to Yahoo! Finance, where Seeking Alpha syndicates articles, voiced by persons who would like the ability to switch its headlines off.

Advice to Senior Managementi) The first step is acknowledging that you have problems.

ii) Existing standards, actions, and behavior are degrading or offensive. Get an effective means of implementing improved editorial guidelines.

iii) Make your site reliable.

iv) Revise the site’s appearance.

v) Your “Top Ideas” underperform. What message should there be to writers who do better (Review advice i and ii)?You do not seem to know the difference?

vi) Your subscription offering also seems to include a substitute means of hiring persons as staff, or contract, writers. If there are specific arrangements for writers, you might designate them.

vii) If all of the above is implemented, Seeking Alpha might be called a tabloid.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company to begin your writing venture.

Contributor (Current Employee)

ProsWhen I started contributing to Seeking Alpha, it was a very tight-knit and welcoming community of investors. Although some things have changed, it is still a very good (and relatively easy) way to build credibility. From writing at Seeking Alpha, I've met very helpful people that allowed me to move higher in other publishing houses and make connections that are helpful (and vital in some cases) even today.

ConsThe publishing 'laws' at SA seem to change by the day, and the inconsistency among the editing team can be very frustrating at times. Payment is rather slow (every three months) compared to many of its competitors. Also, the company recent took away mobile page view payments, which is rather important to the contributor. Overall, it's a great site to 'launch' into other potential opportunities, but not a long-term solution for freelance financial writers.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile obviously having a pro-contributor stance, I would suggest doing as much for the contributors as possible. The more you give them and better they're treated, the more likely the high quality ones will stick around. Nine times out of ten, payout tops loyalty in the freelance world, and this couldn't be more true than at SA.

Flexible, open, and fun.

Contributor (Current Employee)

ProsYou can contribute what you want whenever you want, and the topics that you can cover vary tremendously. Pay is good for what you do, but definitely don't be looking to freelance full time.

ConsPayment tracker doesn't always update in real-time, making one wonder how accurate these page view counters really are. Also, editors can be inconsistent from one day to another.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to get some more consistency among editors.

Mostly frustrating

Senior Editor (Former Employee)

ProsEnthusiastic staff eager to learn and willing to work hard to improve the quality of the site.

ConsManagement is in over its head, communication is horrible, original employees unwilling to learn from more talented professionals brought on board and pay is below industry standards. There seems to be a total lack of imagination at all levels of management both in Israel and the U.S.

Advice to Senior ManagementOpen the purse strings and hire the kind of emploees who can grow your audience.

It has been very fulfilling.

ProsIt has allowed me to learn more about investing through clarifying my ideas in writing and interacting with the Seeking Alpha community.

ConsThere not many cons to the program. I guess the biggest con is that it is hard for it be a very profitable experience unless you write a lot of articles, although that was not my personal intent when I started with Seeking Alpha.

Good Product, terrible leadership,

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSeeking Alpha had a great product and great staff.

ConsSA employees were some of the best people I have ever worked with. The biggest issue was upper management. The CEO was extremely difficult to work with. He had no sense of appreciation for his team. Anyone who contributed to make the company successful was guaranteed to be let go. CEO is extremely difficult to work for, legendarily egotistic and short-tempered.

Advice to Senior ManagementThink about replacing yourself.

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly

ProsThis company has potential. Each person is given a lot of responsibility, which can help grow your career skill set significantly. Work/life balance is good....actually, it's great.

ConsThe Bad: The CEO and Executive team is based in Israel, creating a cultural disconnect. Management in the US is in a word - mismanaged. Problems with nepotism, politics, and lack of communication skills run rampant. Compensation is below industry standards.

The Ugly: Turnover is way too high - talented people have been dismissed and their contributions not recognized or appreciated. Asking for a raise is like pulling teeth.

Advice to Senior ManagementShowing a lack of respect towards your employees is toxic to morale. Don't always hire/promote in your own image. People with different views/experiences/unique skill sets can bring special value to the company. The below review was obviously written by management.

Hands-down best career decision I've ever made...

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsWorking here at Seeking Alpha offers a dynamic and exciting opportunity to be in a collaborative environment with some of the smartest people I've ever worked with. It's truly that "once in a lifetime" job, where I know my hard-work and dedication will be rewarded. It's easy to be highly motivated, when you know you're working on a team that cares about delivering the BEST product(s), that has integrity and most of all, has a winning culture.

ConsIf you're an employee who doesn't enjoy collaboration, then Seeking Alpha is not the place for you.

If you're someone who only works well if you're being micro-managed, then Seeking Alpha is NOT for you. We are self-motivated, with the ability to work autonomously but have the full support and help of co-workers and upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeeking Alpha is a great place to develop a career and has so many opportunities to grow. Please keep doing what you're doing - LOVE IT here!

Worked for Seeking Alpha? Contribute to the Community!