Select Energy Services

Updated November 4, 2014
Updated November 4, 2014
2.3

John Schmitz

A great job and a great company

Current Employee - Driver in McDonald, PA
    Current Employee - Driver in McDonald, PA

I have been working at Select Energy Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have had my CDL for over ten years and have been driving a water bottle for Select for almost 2. Select is a safety orientated company that has never asked me to work more hours than are allowed. They have never asked me to drive anything unsafe or for that matter to do anything at all that I wasn't comfortable with. Every company goes through their UPS and downs, but what sets Select apart is that they faced their issues and tackled them head on.

At our local yard the drivers have been getting more scheduled time off.
    Raises are given to those who earn them.
    Our new shop has ample room and we have plenty of mechanics to keep up with fleet maintenance and repairs
    The support we get from management is top notch.
    We have been moving in such a positive direction and have such a great bunch of drivers watching each others backs and working together.

Cons

There is a limit to how many people can request PTO/Vacation time each day. I understand the need for limits, but it feels a bit to limited. We have to plan pretty far in advance and it is difficult to make plans with co-workers.

Keep up the good work.

Current CDL drive for McDonald,PA

Current Employee - CDL Driver in McDonald, PA
    Current Employee - CDL Driver in McDonald, PA

I have been working at Select Energy Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I been working here for select energy service for over a year they are a great place to work for they are family oriented for example when I needed time for personal family issues they gave it to me things are always changing in the company and it is for the good we have excellent benefits and a great crew of people to work on the day and night shifts

Cons

Really can't say much on the con's every place that you work at you would have BS so there no reason to put anything here

Upper Management Nil

Former Employee - CDL Driver in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - CDL Driver in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Select Energy Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The pay was supposed to be but not so when you don't get paid what they told you they would pay. They lied.

Cons

Upper Mgt. is never around. They don't care about anything except the money. The drivers safety and concerns are irrelevant. They may or may not know that drivers are not being paid what they were promised. It probably doesn't matter to them , they put it all in their pocket and forget the little guys.

Talk to the drivers and ask for their input without asking for names. Let them really tell you what is going on with safety issues, truck repair and the fact trucks do not work half the time. Let them tell you about mechanics who are paid well to do nothing but yell at drivers. Let them tell you and show you where they did not get paid what they were told they would get paid when hired.

Horrible company

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Select Energy Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Some good co-workers. Not a lot of work for what you are paid. My position had good perks.

Cons

Back stabbing, no raises, broken promises. Buddy system. Upper management gets away with anything. Don't point out that any of them are misusing the company, because you will be given the axe. Especially if you know they are stealing from the company. Relocated for them with promises, only to "consolidate" and lay off entire departments within 6 months.

Get a clue, and treat your employees with respect.

Company clearly having financial problems...stay away

Former Employee - Administrative in Frierson, LA
    Former Employee - Administrative in Frierson, LA

I worked at Select Energy Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Benefits is one of the only Pros for this company. Pay is better than most companies in the area but low for the industry.

Cons

Where do you start!!! Company consistently changes management, which changes procedures and no one bothers to let employees know what the new changes are, some don't even know who their managers are. In the past year they have had lay offs every quarter. Good employees have jumped ship. Most employees have not had an increase in pay for two years and a lot have never received a review. Management is the good ole boy mentality, if you're in their network you'll do well, if not, well hang on to your hats, its a bumpy ride! They don't accept advice from employees on changes. Famous answer "Select has always been that way". Management spends thousands of dollars on perks, ie golf outings, skeet shooting, weekend hunting trips, sports tickets etc while they continually lay off employees. It is a very stressful atmosphere with very little appreciations. By far the worst company I have been associated with in my entire career! I foresee them closing offices within 3-6 months. This is a company in trouble, stay away.

Get rid of the perks! Like many companies in financial difficulties the perks are the first to go before you ruin peoples finances by laying them off. If one could, and he didn't own the business, fire the CEO! He works for his investors and no regard to his employees. When the man visits an office, he stays in an empty office and doesn't bother to walk two feet down the hall to the Shop and say hello to those employees, or for that fact walk around the office and acknowledge office workers. Most of the time he sits in his car and drives through the lot. He needs to take the time to talk with the employees and get their input. I have never met an owner of the business that has been so arrogant and self-righteous.

Pray you don't have to work here

Current Employee - Water Bottle Driver in McDonald, PA
    Current Employee - Water Bottle Driver in McDonald, PA

I have been working at Select Energy Services full-time (less than an year)

Pros

ONLY pro is getting experience to go elsewhere

Cons

Trucks- written up as unsafe & put out of service, those DVIR's disappear & the truck is kept in service & drivers either drive them or get sent home. Days off/vacation- Select gives a good bit of vacation time yet you have to be one of the 'select few' to use any of it. Most people don't get approved for a day or two but the 'favorites' get instant approval for an entire week whenever they want it. Pay- Do NOT listen to some Select drivers, past June pay got lowered to $16/hr...no matter how much experience you have. One guy there had his own fleet of trucks & over 20 years of driving experience in the gas & oil industry, he's been there for 6 months & is still at $16/hr. Raises have yet to be given, not one driver there has gotten one...ever. Add insult to $16/hr, medical insurance costs $500/month. Select drivers want to lure drivers in because management rumors have them believing once they have 60-70 drivers they will get two days off a week. Drivers quit every week, no lie. In one year 250 drivers came & went, keep in mind Select has never had more than 40+ drivers & no more than 12 trucks able to be driven. If you are two faced, lie uncontrollably, think you are god's gift to truck driving, snitch to management (that is HUGE there), have zero morals, etc, etc, you will be a 'select few' there & enjoy working there. If you actually have experience, intelligence and morals, you will be shunned & the jealousy of other drivers will take it's toll since you will be targeted by them & management. The 'veteran' drivers, the ones some drivers say "have been there forever", have less than two years with a CDL & are used to making $7-$8/hr & think Select is next best thing to hitting the lottery. Select preaches safety, safety & more safety...it's a front, you sign everything under the sun to clear them of any responsibility & yet, well go back to the first sentence & read about the trucks, it should give you a more than clear understanding. Even the mechanics say how sneaky things are done to cover up major mechanical issues & drivers & the public are put at risk daily for the sake of profit. Hundreds, & I mean HUNDREDS, of complaints have been filed at their office in South Pointe, Canonsburg, Pa by drivers, it is all covered up, not a single complaint has been addressed. They have a retired state trooper working for them who has all the right connections that can protect the company, so forget about labor relations, getting a lawyer, DOT complaints, etc....it will get you nowhere, people have tried & lost. None of this is my opinion, it is all 100% fact. Why/how are they still in business & drivers stay or go there? Everyone has a reason, everyone leaves as soon as they can. Another red flag, Select Energy does NOT run MVR or background checks, odd to say the least for anyone who knows about having a CDL.

No advice, they are proud to ignore & abuse drivers & equipment for sake of their bonuses. Drivers are not a number to them, they are considered less than human, fact.

Jumbled, noone seems to know what is going on but a select few, never felt safe.

I have been working at Select Energy Services

Pros

Good benefits, and good salary

Cons

Leadership is a mixed bag, some are good and some are terrible. There is def. clicks.

Started out very excited! Ended very disappointed!

Former Employee - Anonymous in Cleburne, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Cleburne, TX

I worked at Select Energy Services full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Decent pay, lots of hours. Decent benefits.

Cons

After years of service.Laid off with no notice! company chose not to even pay owed vacation or personal time!

Cut down on the micro managing, treat your employees better, and you would have less turn over. And better performance and quality of work from them.

a group of very skilled workers but poor management and pay.

Former Employee - Laborer in Mansfield, PA
    Former Employee - Laborer in Mansfield, PA

I worked at Select Energy Services full-time (more than an year)

Pros

the field supervisors are some of the best that i have ever worked with they are incredibly good at their jobs.

ability to advance is there

Cons

the company is so financially motivated that they lose track of the well being of their employees or just dont care.

almost always you have to make a job happen on a deadline without the proper tools and equipment.

obsurd inequality in pay between leaders and hands.

treat your potential leaders like they matter to you and you will have a better work force

Good first job for anyone looking for entry level job.

Former Employee - Anonymous in Shreveport, LA
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Shreveport, LA

I worked at Select Energy Services part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The work life balance was great and flexibility of schedule was also good. Great group of people working there.

Cons

The pay there wasn't the greatest in the world. But then again, it's best for a entry level job so that would make sense.