Select Medical

Be The First To
Add Photos

Select Medical CEO and Director Robert A. Ortenzio

Robert A. Ortenzio

Pros:
  • "Resources, continuing education, certifications, operations support, clinical excellence and patient centered focus"
    in 3 reviews
  • "Potential for advancement if you are fiscally minded vs patient care minded"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "easy to feel like just a number sometimes, though that can be with any large orginazation"
    in 3 reviews
  • "We have such a high turnover rate, in the last 6 months four of the five people we have hired have already quit"
    in 4 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Challenging, rewarding, great people & leadership

I have been working at Select Medical full-time for more than 8 years

ProsFast paced. Lots of opportunity to learn and grow. Accepting of new ideas. Top leadership is stellar. Stable, well managed national org. Strong ties to community. Best coworkers I've even had pleasure to work with. Accessible leaders. Open door policy. Unique perks. Staff works their butts off to do theotherright thing for patients and each other. Feels like family. Love my job!

ConsSure you see this everywhere, pay could be better. Expect a lot, we give a lot and are loyal but pay is on low end for volume of work and expertise expected. Benefit options are great but annual increases wipe out meager annual raises and the other401k match is minimal. Staff growth also foes not match growth rate of the business. Run very lean already so when you add locations you should add staff.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at compensation issues. You are losing , and will continue to lose, great loyal hard working employees because the pay vs workload is low.

Take a chance if your self esteem is low, they will push it even lower

Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Select Medical full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey do pay good money if you are on the floor.

ConsNo appreciation, They have no problem telling you to move on if you do not like how they do things. Corporate team is too old and set in their ways. They fire good people and keep TOXIC, CANCEROUS people in place. If you are looking to make a quick buck, be a pool nurse, but don't invest your time or energy in this company, they are no good, the corporate team (West region, Texas) need to be cleaned out!

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor management, You guys don't follow your rules, you are backwards, but I don't care because you keep me working, I people can do just about anything and keep their job, THANK YOU

Awesome

Toledo, OH

I have been working at Select Medical full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company offers great corporate support.

ConsI have no complaints thus far.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no complaints thus far.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A learning experince for an entry level IT tech

Help Desk (Current Employee)
Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Select Medical full-time for less than a year

ProsSelect has a good reputation in the medical field it will look good on a resume if you stay in the healthcare field.
Select has many different IT departments (Help Desk, Network, Security, Applications, Database, Programming, etc)
Select promotes from within.

ConsThe company has well over 30,000 users and about 150 IT staff.
The pay could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the IT staff better and have a 24 hour staffed Help Desk.

Exciting opportunity turned into an absolutely horrible experience

Director of Business Development (Former Employee)
Dallas, TX

I worked at Select Medical full-time for less than a year

ProsThere are some truly outstanding individuals (nursing staff) that work hard and really care. Select has good beliefs and ideas.

ConsSr. leadership only look out for themselves with a "Cross me and I'll get you" mentality despite corporate anti-retaliation policy. Willingness to lose amazing & hard working employees while retaining incompetent ones that "play the game"...extremely high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate management needs to step up and take charge. Don't be afraid to stand up for what is right, you create the rules and the model so everyone should follow them.

Less is not always more

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Atlanta, GA

I worked at Select Medical full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work/life balance - able to take time off as needed for personal matters, vacation, etc.

ConsUnderstaffed and underpaid... Leadership could use leadership instruction

Too many supervisors

I have been working at Select Medical full-time

Prosbox tickets, hershey park day, flexible schedule

ConsManager is too friendly with supervisor so when things are brought up, unprofessional acts, treating employees badly, etc it is covered over. High turnaround due to one person but nothing will be done about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those who actually do the work. Don't allow departments to be over ridden by one lousy supervisor that causes mass confusion and many employees to leave.

Great Company at the top of the field with unprecedented benefits and continuing education

Center Manager Physical Therapist (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Select Medical full-time for more than 8 years

ProsResources, continuing education, certifications, operations support, clinical excellence and patient centered focus.

ConsSlow to fund or organize local development but good resources for it. Corporate structure limits marketing and makes changes difficult but there is a good support network and you are allowed to develop your clinic and run things locally with the excellent backing of a larger company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore local support and marketing/programs development. More team building at the staff level regionally.

Unemployment would be better

Over Worked and Underpaid (Current Employee)
Madison, WI

I have been working at Select Medical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros20 word minimum for Pros so I will type until I achieve 20 because I cant think of a Pro other than the company is lucky enough to have wonderful people scattered about working for them.....just hoping and praying that Select will one day live by their own core values.

ConsThis company would be better off hiring robots! Someone without a brain, lacks emotion and just methodically goes about doing what it is programmed to do. They do NOT care for people, they do NOT care for patients. Make money, don't spend any for heavens sake on building improvements or improving quality care......just keep the revenue coming!
Very unsafe patient care ratio's. Very inexperienced nurses, training modules do not make good nurses!! Active experience at the bedside with great mentoring create success but all the good ones leave because they get hasseled by senior leadership........they are hasseled because their experience intimidates the seniors! Yet another sign of their insecurity and inability to be great leaders!
Fill the beds, no matter what! Expect to write many grievances.....thats what we do best because its a guarantee that patients and families are rightfuly complaining.
Be prepared to be treated in the most amazingly disrespectful way.......you'll ask yourself ....is this legal? Can people really treat you this way? well they do and they get away with it repeatedly! It's harassing at best!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over! Gut your teams and hire for talent, hire for competence, hire based on academia, hire for attitude, hire for their ability to "grow morale, retain the keepers, and their ability to positively influence the educated". Eliminate the "bullies", eliminate the liars, eliminate the leaders who force great people to leave because they feel insecure about their own capabilities. Remember great leaders surround themselves with other leaders that compliment their weakness's.....that is how great organizations are built! Instead, at Select.....they run people away that have a voice or brain. They like the status quo.....they like the head nodders......if you are willing to be a robot and nod.......high tail it to Mc'D's and take the lesser income but flip those fries with a smile!! Go be happy, go be respected!

Inpatient accounting

Staff Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at Select Medical full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLearn a lot
You are busy
Some bosses don't micromanage and let you do your thing

ConsMonth end close process is a little harsh
Some bosses micro manage
Teams don't interact well

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on employee development and offer some workshops on how to communicate or manage better and team building.

Worked for Select Medical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Select Medical reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Select Medical CEO Robert A. Ortenzio. All 75 reviews posted anonymously by Select Medical employees.