Select Medical

Be The First To
Add Photos

Select Medical CEO and Director Robert A. Ortenzio

Robert A. Ortenzio

Pros
  • Resources, continuing education, certifications, operations support, clinical excellence and patient centered focus(in 4 reviews)

• Hershey park is nice for our company picnic(in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Productivity is more important than patient care(in 6 reviews)

• We have such a high turnover rate, in the last 6 months four of the five people we have hired have already quit(in 5 reviews)

Awesome

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Toledo, OH

ProsThe company offers great corporate support.

ConsI have no complaints thus far.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no complaints thus far.

A learning experince for an entry level IT tech

Help Desk (Current Employee) Mechanicsburg, PA

ProsSelect has a good reputation in the medical field it will look good on a resume if you stay in the healthcare field.
    Select has many different IT departments (Help Desk, Network, Security, Applications, Database, Programming, etc)
    Select promotes from within.

ConsThe company has well over 30,000 users and about 150 IT staff.
    The pay could be better.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the IT staff better and have a 24 hour staffed Help Desk.

Exciting opportunity turned into an absolutely horrible experience

Director of Business Development (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsThere are some truly outstanding individuals (nursing staff) that work hard and really care. Select has good beliefs and ideas.

ConsSr. leadership only look out for themselves with a "Cross me and I'll get you" mentality despite corporate anti-retaliation policy. Willingness to lose amazing & hard working employees while retaining incompetent ones that "play the game"...extremely high turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementCorporate management needs to step up and take charge. Don't be afraid to stand up for what is right, you create the rules and the model so everyone should follow them.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Less is not always more

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGreat work/life balance - able to take time off as needed for personal matters, vacation, etc.

ConsUnderstaffed and underpaid... Leadership could use leadership instruction

Too many supervisors

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mechanicsburg, PA

Prosbox tickets, hershey park day, flexible schedule

ConsManager is too friendly with supervisor so when things are brought up, unprofessional acts, treating employees badly, etc it is covered over. High turnaround due to one person but nothing will be done about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to those who actually do the work. Don't allow departments to be over ridden by one lousy supervisor that causes mass confusion and many employees to leave.

Great Company at the top of the field with unprecedented benefits and continuing education

Center Manager Physical Therapist (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsResources, continuing education, certifications, operations support, clinical excellence and patient centered focus.

ConsSlow to fund or organize local development but good resources for it. Corporate structure limits marketing and makes changes difficult but there is a good support network and you are allowed to develop your clinic and run things locally with the excellent backing of a larger company.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore local support and marketing/programs development. More team building at the staff level regionally.

Unemployment would be better

Over Worked and Underpaid (Current Employee) Madison, WI

Pros20 word minimum for Pros so I will type until I achieve 20 because I cant think of a Pro other than the company is lucky enough to have wonderful people scattered about working for them.....just hoping and praying that Select will one day live by their own core values.

ConsThis company would be better off hiring robots! Someone without a brain, lacks emotion and just methodically goes about doing what it is programmed to do. They do NOT care for people, they do NOT care for patients. Make money, don't spend any for heavens sake on building improvements or improving quality care......just keep the revenue coming!
    Very unsafe patient care ratio's. Very inexperienced nurses, training modules do not make good nurses!! Active experience at the bedside with great mentoring create success but all the good ones leave because they get hasseled by senior leadership........they are hasseled because their experience intimidates the seniors! Yet another sign of their insecurity and inability to be great leaders!
    Fill the beds, no matter what! Expect to write many grievances.....thats what we do best because its a guarantee that patients and families are rightfuly complaining.
    Be prepared to be treated in the most amazingly disrespectful way.......you'll ask yourself ....is this legal? Can people really treat you this way? well they do and they get away with it repeatedly! It's harassing at best!

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over! Gut your teams and hire for talent, hire for competence, hire based on academia, hire for attitude, hire for their ability to "grow morale, retain the keepers, and their ability to positively influence the educated". Eliminate the "bullies", eliminate the liars, eliminate the leaders who force great people to leave because they feel insecure about their own capabilities. Remember great leaders surround themselves with other leaders that compliment their weakness's.....that is how great organizations are built! Instead, at Select.....they run people away that have a voice or brain. They like the status quo.....they like the head nodders......if you are willing to be a robot and nod.......high tail it to Mc'D's and take the lesser income but flip those fries with a smile!! Go be happy, go be respected!

Inpatient accounting

Staff Accountant (Former Employee) Mechanicsburg, PA

ProsLearn a lot
    You are busy
    Some bosses don't micromanage and let you do your thing

ConsMonth end close process is a little harsh
    Some bosses micro manage
    Teams don't interact well

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on employee development and offer some workshops on how to communicate or manage better and team building.

Too much emphasis on manipulation of Medicare guidelines for reimbursement. Decisions on patient care are based on $$$

Administration (Current Employee) Indianapolis, IN

ProsReasonable salary
    Some flexibility
    Potential for advancement if you are fiscally minded vs patient care minded

ConsManagement out of touch with reality
    Poor qaulity care
    All about the bottom line
    Too much pressure on admissions / case managemt

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a conscience

Great place to work. Superior leadership. Growing and stable company.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Mechanicsburg, PA

ProsChallenging environment. Excellent leadership team. Well managed and growth oriented company. Many opportunities to learn and grow. Nationwide and well respected healthcare provider.

ConsWork life balance can be a challenge. Extremely fast paced organization that runs very lean and is constantly evolving. Must be adept at handling change because that is one constant here!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investing in your loyal and valued employees. They have your back and trust your leadership. Keep an eye on salaries to remain competitive, especially as the economy improves, and recognize your stellar employees with well-deserved increases so they don't look elsewhere.

Worked for Select Medical? Contribute to the Community!