Select Medical

Be The First To
Add Photos

Select Medical CEO and Director Robert A. Ortenzio

Robert A. Ortenzio

Pros:
  • "Resources, continuing education, certifications, operations support, clinical excellence and patient centered focus"
    in 4 reviews
  • "Potential for advancement if you are fiscally minded vs patient care minded"
    in 3 reviews
Cons:
  • "Productivity is more important than patient care"
    in 6 reviews
  • "easy to feel like just a number sometimes, though that can be with any large orginazation"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Inpatient accounting

Staff Accountant (Former Employee)

I worked at Select Medical full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLearn a lot
You are busy
Some bosses don't micromanage and let you do your thing

ConsMonth end close process is a little harsh
Some bosses micro manage
Teams don't interact well

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time on employee development and offer some workshops on how to communicate or manage better and team building.

Too much emphasis on manipulation of Medicare guidelines for reimbursement. Decisions on patient care are based on $$$

Administration (Current Employee)
Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Select Medical full-time for more than 5 years

ProsReasonable salary
Some flexibility
Potential for advancement if you are fiscally minded vs patient care minded

ConsManagement out of touch with reality
Poor qaulity care
All about the bottom line
Too much pressure on admissions / case managemt

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a conscience

Great place to work. Superior leadership. Growing and stable company.

I have been working at Select Medical

ProsChallenging environment. Excellent leadership team. Well managed and growth oriented company. Many opportunities to learn and grow. Nationwide and well respected healthcare provider.

ConsWork life balance can be a challenge. Extremely fast paced organization that runs very lean and is constantly evolving. Must be adept at handling change because that is one constant here!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue investing in your loyal and valued employees. They have your back and trust your leadership. Keep an eye on salaries to remain competitive, especially as the economy improves, and recognize your stellar employees with well-deserved increases so they don't look elsewhere.

It's just ok

Financial Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsStable
Growing
Feels Clean
Decent Benefits
 ample parking
now Im just puting words here to make the minimal 20 as there really aren't that many pros

ConsPolitics
Pay
Cubicles
dry and unmotivated working environment
boring
snobby management
cut throat
overall I would not work here again.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it more of a friendly place to work. Create more events for the company. It has such a corporate feel.

Busy, fast pace enviroment but management isn't very organized

Harrisburg, PA

I have been working at Select Medical

ProsManagement is nice and helpful

ConsNot paid enough, management is disorganized.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more.

Corporate has no idea how the management team is neglecting their staff, or DO THEY?

Nursing Department (Current Employee)
Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Select Medical

ProsThe only thing is that the pay is decent, otherwise there are NO pros....

ConsBenefits suck
Management shows no compassion for employees with families
Bottom line is their profit margin over patient and staff safety and satisfaction
Unsafe CNA and nurse to patient ratios due to the complexity of care required
State should do a "spot-check" often especially on night shift ex: ONE CNA to 28 patients and/ or 4 nurses to 28 patients with high acuity levels on ventilators etc??
Wilmington facility has surpassed $$$ with some of the corp. highest profitable months, all done by the hard work of CNAs and nurses, but no recognition or bonuses for us little ones. CEO receives big bonuses, creating very selfish and greedy administrators.
And soon much more......

Advice to Senior ManagementHas it ever crossed corporate HQs mind on why the best top skilled nurses were ALL fired within a 3 month period?? Thats why reputation and word of mouth is the best advertisement.

A bittersweet lesson about life, death, and money.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Select Medical

Pros-Excellent patient care

-Continuous training for care givers

-Clinical staff genuinely care about their patients

-Proper emphasis placed on patient safety

-HIH facilities can easily transfer to host ICU(s)

Cons-Noticeable change in patient care strategy when SEM became publically traded.

-Daily Patient Conversion meetings became focused on financial income rather than patient outcomes.

-Patient marketing and admissions prioritized by "pay for performance".

-Extreme pressure placed on case managers to discharge patients in order to receive full reimbursement from Medicare.

-Core values do not apply to corporate executives. Specifically: “We treat others as we would like to be treated” and “We are team players”. I’ve experienced several teleconferences in which our well educated and extremely knowledgeable local executive team had been berated and belittled by a Senior VP when profit margins and census were not met. Soon after I watched the entire team trickle out in a span of three months and move on to different ventures. The corporate office has since replaced our dream team with inexperienced, power-hungry, reputation-damaging androids.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don’t have any advice. I just have a simple quote from Douglas Adams:

“To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity.”

Difficult, but you can learn otj and they will hire inexperienced staff, good for a foot in the door

Nurse Aide (Current Employee)
Denver, CO

ProsLearning, colleagues, small size, 2 locations in Denver

Conspoor pay and expensive benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you drink their Kook-aid, you can advance

Good benefits but very poor management and no communication with corporate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Macon, GA

I worked at Select Medical

ProsGood benefits, some departments have flexible scheduling, PTO and EID better than a lot of hospitals, no mandatory overtime in all departments

ConsManagement very poor and most not qualified for their positions but promoted because they will follow orders of top two running the company at the local level. Complaints to the Compliance hotline and HR hotline have gotten employees no response even though Select assured us when they took over that they would always be available. Serious issues with payroll since Select took over Regency. Quality of care is no longer the primary focus and there has been a mass exit of clinical employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to what your employees are telling you. You will get the hard work and loyalty you expect if you show them respect and praise them for jobs well done.

Keep Looking for a better Opportunity!!!!

Patient Account Representative (Former Employee)
Mechanicsville, PA

I worked at Select Medical

ProsIf you want to move up in the company, they will push you in that direction. career advacement is good.

ConsHorrible PTO; for any major state paid holidays the time OFF is coming though the employee paid time off....benefits sucked..paid thru the nose. Also pay is really lousy...they give you the economy lecture but it is all lies....Company make over 2b & employees are put in projects after projects & are overworked but the company can only offer you $11 /hr....My Advice ...KEEP LOOKING!!!!!

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees put themselves out for you...If you want them to stay at Select & be with Select for a long time appreciate them with better incentives, better pay, benefits etc.

Worked for Select Medical? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Select Medical reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Select Medical CEO Robert A. Ortenzio. All 76 reviews posted anonymously by Select Medical employees.