Select Medical Reviews

120 reviews filtered by
2.5
Select Medical CEO and Director Robert A. Ortenzio
Robert A. Ortenzio

Pros
  • Resources, continuing education, certifications, operations support, clinical excellence and patient centered focus (in 4 reviews)

• Great interdisciplinary team work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Productivity is more important than patient care (in 6 reviews)

• We have such a high turnover rate, in the last 6 months four of the five people we have hired have already quit (in 5 reviews)

1. In 2013 I would give it 5 stars but not now.

I worked at Select Medical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Patients were ALWAYS Taken good care of and we always worked as a team

Cons

Being an LPN and not being allowed to work there any more.

Hire back LPN's

2. NovaCare

Former Employee - Physical Therapist
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist

I worked at Select Medical full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Some Freedom to your Work Schedule

Cons

Hard to get time off

Hire staff to allow for time off

3. Just a terrible liability!!! York Pa

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in York, PA
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in York, PA

I worked at Select Medical full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The staff do care about the patients. The management dies not care about anything except bringing in patients, making profit, keeping the patients as long as they can make a profit and holing the employees accountable for any wrong doing whatsoever never ever ever making the upper management accountable. The CEO and HR are best buddies and do not promote any unity of their company I CARE model they destroy every relationship and ten work efforts to have a leadership team that can lead the facility. They seem to be on a downward slide in the community with recently losing almost all of thier leadership team and rehiring under level staff to replace them just to have the positions filled. Unprofessional conduct is continous with the management team presently and HR sits and watches. Someone should really have a good lawsuit with this behavior, there should never be tolerance for testing your employees by bribing ing them into a office with several other managers and screaming at them until they are sobbing with the HR involved. Mean mean people and illegal...Horrific at that. They have an unheard of turn over with nurses. IF you want to be paid well, treated with respect and love your job taking care of patients. Please run away from this company. You will be are a happier person to work for 8 dollars at Starbucks then to work at this York select( it is that bad). I wouldn't think York hospital will continue to renew their lease. It's a disgrace and they should book them out the first chance they get.

Cons

See above I put it all together

Realize your 100 meetings a week are not helping. Your the reason rhe facility is so terrible because you only care about keeping your own jobs. The management team are fake people and should all be fired. The current CEO was fired from York Hospital and this company hired him that should say a lot by itself. The value system is meaningless when your CEO is just clinging to a rope and praying he gets a promotion to Harrisburg so he can dump York.

Working at this facility has been the most stressful job of my career!!!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse

I have been working at Select Medical

Pros

The group of people I work with, the ability to choose the days you want to work. Sad I cannot honestly come up with anything else positive at this facility.

Cons

Nurse to patient ratio without concern re: Acuity, Never being heard by CEO/DON, stress for all employees who work at Select. Nurses pushed to the limit ,revolving door of new hires, always short of staff,but can always take more admits regardless of staffing. Anything goes wrong....always the nurse. HR at facility worthless to staff.

When a leader such as a DON/CEO fail to listen to their employees, you will never have a team. You must understand STAFF who are constantly stressed,do NOT perform well. A team is only as good as the leaders who lead them...sadly, you have failed us. Money...Is the priority......not patient care. I CARE attitude should start with your staff...you have misinterpreted I CARE philosophy and use it against your staff. Just about every staff member is trying to find another job.

Horrible experience

I worked at Select Medical full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

decent pay is the only pro to this company. The pay is not worth it though.

Cons

Regional manager was rude to staff and treated us poorly. Never allowed to use PTO even if putting a request months in advance. HR doesn't take your concerns seriously. They harass whistleblowers when multiple employees turned in a therapist for Medicare fraud. Care more about productivity than patient care. Harass and accuse staff of lies on a daily basis regardless of what proof is provided.

Take staff more seriously about Medicare fraud committed!!!

needs improvement all around

I worked at Select Medical

Pros

wonderful co-workers who work hard to care for patients with little support from upper echelon.

Cons

corporate, for profit medicine. NOT for me.

management may want to consider joining together and encouraging the powers that be to support staff when difficulties arise, vs. terminating every employee who does not fit into their corporate mold.

RUN THE OTHER WAY----

Current Employee - Manager in Middleburg, OH
    Current Employee - Manager in Middleburg, OH

I have been working at Select Medical full-time

Pros

None, Nada, Zip, Useless, Hopeless

Cons

Regency Hospital in Cleveland is the worst-run "healthcare" facility anywhere. In a town with Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals this place should be embarrassed to have "hospital" in its name. The CEO Tim Rolson (if you can call him a CEO) knows nothing about COMMUNICATION (with staff, patients or family members) and should resign before he's fired. He might be able to run a hot dog stand but that's even debatable. The nurses are sub par ( if they were good they'd be able to get jobs at CCF or UH right?) TERRIBLE - DO NOT GO TO WORK THERE. Liars everywhere from the CEO to Admissions. Shame on Select for continuing to operate this facility. I'm reporting them to JACO and everyone I can find.

Dig a hole, push the place in and cover it up. Hopeless.

Horrible company... Very cliquey

Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Director of Business Development in Akron, OH

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Probably just the experience of dealing with inexperienced CEO's and regional directors.

Cons

Backstabbing
    Clique
    CEOs have no idea how to run an Ltach ... They are often seen at their homes for hours during the day and rarely speak with families /patients. They truly pass the buck. Regional directors have no idea what the CEOs are doing...

Speak with your front line staff.

You will lose your License if you are not careful....STAY UNEMPLOYED RATHER THAN WORK HERE!!!

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good nurses, decent care, good pay, flexible hours

Cons

Terrible management. I was hired, then my nursing supervisor left immediately. I was "left adrift on memory bliss."
    Mediocre to terrible training. It's "sink or swim" training. I was on my own after a week and a half. Good luck with that.
    Unrealistic expectations for new grads...or nurses in general.
    "Nurses Eat Their Young." Nuff 'said.
    No training...oh, that's right...I said that already
    Backbitting, no team player. Ask another nurse for help and you'll probably get the vaunted "eye roll."

Blow up and start over. Realistically.
    1. Solid polices
    2. Checklists for new hires...everything from computers to passwords to contacting doctors to training skills
    3. A defined six week training.

"The Select Medical Way" is NOT the way to go.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mechanicsburg, PA

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Not sure if this is a pro, but if you stay with the company long enough as an Analyst and threaten to leave, you will most likely get promoted to a management position.

Cons

Low pay
    Micromanaged constantly
    Expected to complete tasks that have nothing to do with your job title, just because the responsible department doesn't feel like doing their own job.
    Most IS positions are expected to be an extension of the helpdesk.
    Not allowed to work from home.
    After hours on call can be a nightmare.
    Other department managers try and delegate projects and tasks to those outside of their department.
    Project specifications aren't discussed prior to adding said project to your "project list"
    Company keeps hiring managers, but doesn't fix the problems with the current ones.
    Company continually expands, but does not expand their IS Staff that is expected to support the hospital staff.
    it is a rare occurrence that a project is well thought out.
    HMS/Medhost is a horrible application that we are expected to support.

Stop delegating projects/tasks to employees that do not work in your department. Discuss those with their managers first to let them decide where it will fit in with the rest of the on going projects and deadlines.