Select Medical Reviews

Reset
2.7
Select Medical CEO and Director Robert A. Ortenzio
Robert A. Ortenzio

Pros
  • Resources, continuing education, certifications, operations support, clinical excellence and patient centered focus (in 4 reviews)

• Great interdisciplinary team work (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Productivity is more important than patient care (in 6 reviews)

• They simply only hire contractors that are there for a short time and have an extremely high turnover rate for all positions (in 5 reviews)

take deep look before u take that offer

I have been working at Select Medical

Pros

makes it sound good, everything is feasible and doable

Cons

> 100% productivity expectation, u r just a number not a clinician with judgement of what care and how much care u provide

Advice to Management

take a look at your employess satisfaction

Not a good place to work. Pocket fillers on top.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saginaw, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saginaw, MI

I have been working at Select Medical

Pros

The pay isn't too bad. It is competitive.

Cons

Management is not experienced. Very unappropriate behavior.

Advice to Management

Think before you promote. Your hiring process needs to be revamped. CEO's should be screened thoroughly. Hiring locally is done on a whim to just fill the position. Turn over rate is extrememly high due to the lack of trust and respect of management.

Only work here if it is the only option

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Select Medical

Pros

They pay you for your time. I like the patients that we get.

Cons

Everything. The list is extensive. Be prepared to see things at Regency of Greenville you have never seen at other hospitals. Yes, management is that bad. Be prepared to be threatened every day. Don't let your family come to this facility. Ridiculously profit based. Have the staff but will not adequately fill shifts and tell the employees "to do the best they can." Get ready to be called off a lot , then not get any PTO because of it. Currentlypaying new grad RNs more than the people training them. Horrible place to work with people displaying miserable attitudes.

Advice to Management

Should have fired the whole deceitful lot when Select took over, now they just cling to whatever power they have left and tell you that you will be fired if you complain about them. Currently the goal seems that they are trying to figure out exactly how bad you can treat people in the current economic climate and get away with it.

Good benefits but very poor management and no communication with corporate

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Macon, GA

I worked at Select Medical

Pros

Good benefits, some departments have flexible scheduling, PTO and EID better than a lot of hospitals, no mandatory overtime in all departments

Cons

Management very poor and most not qualified for their positions but promoted because they will follow orders of top two running the company at the local level. Complaints to the Compliance hotline and HR hotline have gotten employees no response even though Select assured us when they took over that they would always be available. Serious issues with payroll since Select took over Regency. Quality of care is no longer the primary focus and there has been a mass exit of clinical employees.

Advice to Management

Listen to what your employees are telling you. You will get the hard work and loyalty you expect if you show them respect and praise them for jobs well done.

A bittersweet lesson about life, death, and money.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Select Medical

Pros

-Excellent patient care -Continuous training for care givers -Clinical staff genuinely care about their patients -Proper emphasis placed on patient safety -HIH facilities can easily transfer to host ICU(s)

Cons

-Noticeable change in patient care strategy when SEM became publically traded. -Daily Patient Conversion meetings became focused on financial income rather than patient outcomes. -Patient marketing and admissions prioritized by "pay for performance". -Extreme pressure placed on case managers to discharge patients in order to receive full reimbursement from Medicare. -Core values do not apply to corporate executives. Specifically: “We treat others as we would like to be treated” and “We are team players”. I’ve experienced several teleconferences in which our well educated and extremely knowledgeable local executive team had been berated and belittled by a Senior VP when profit margins and census were not met. Soon after I watched the entire team trickle out in a span of three months and move on to different ventures. The corporate office has since replaced our dream team with inexperienced, power-hungry, reputation-damaging androids.

Advice to Management

I don’t have any advice. I just have a simple quote from Douglas Adams: “To give real service you must add something which cannot be bought or measured with money, and that is sincerity and integrity.”

Corporate has no idea how the management team is neglecting their staff, or DO THEY?

Current Employee - Nursing Department in Wilmington, DE
    Current Employee - Nursing Department in Wilmington, DE

I have been working at Select Medical

Pros

The only thing is that the pay is decent, otherwise there are NO pros....

Cons

Benefits suck Management shows no compassion for employees with families Bottom line is their profit margin over patient and staff safety and satisfaction Unsafe CNA and nurse to patient ratios due to the complexity of care required State should do a "spot-check" often especially on night shift ex: ONE CNA to 28 patients and/ or 4 nurses to 28 patients with high acuity levels on ventilators etc?? Wilmington facility has surpassed $$$ with some of the corp. highest profitable months, all done by the hard work of CNAs and nurses, but no recognition or bonuses for us little ones. CEO receives big bonuses, creating very selfish and greedy administrators. And soon much more......

Advice to Management

Has it ever crossed corporate HQs mind on why the best top skilled nurses were ALL fired within a 3 month period?? Thats why reputation and word of mouth is the best advertisement.

Unemployment would be better

Current Employee - Over Worked and Underpaid in Madison, WI
    Current Employee - Over Worked and Underpaid in Madison, WI

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

20 word minimum for Pros so I will type until I achieve 20 because I cant think of a Pro other than the company is lucky enough to have wonderful people scattered about working for them.....just hoping and praying that Select will one day live by their own core values.

Cons

This company would be better off hiring robots! Someone without a brain, lacks emotion and just methodically goes about doing what it is programmed to do. They do NOT care for people, they do NOT care for patients. Make money, don't spend any for heavens sake on building improvements or improving quality care......just keep the revenue coming! Very unsafe patient care ratio's. Very inexperienced nurses, training modules do not make good nurses!! Active experience at the bedside with great mentoring create success but all the good ones leave because they get hasseled by senior leadership........they are hasseled because their experience intimidates the seniors! Yet another sign of their insecurity and inability to be great leaders! Fill the beds, no matter what! Expect to write many grievances.....thats what we do best because its a guarantee that patients and families are rightfuly complaining. Be prepared to be treated in the most amazingly disrespectful way.......you'll ask yourself ....is this legal? Can people really treat you this way? well they do and they get away with it repeatedly! It's harassing at best!

Advice to Management

Start over! Gut your teams and hire for talent, hire for competence, hire based on academia, hire for attitude, hire for their ability to "grow morale, retain the keepers, and their ability to positively influence the educated". Eliminate the "bullies", eliminate the liars, eliminate the leaders who force great people to leave because they feel insecure about their own capabilities. Remember great leaders surround themselves with other leaders that compliment their weakness's.....that is how great organizations are built! Instead, at Select.....they run people away that have a voice or brain. They like the status quo.....they like the head nodders......if you are willing to be a robot and nod.......high tail it to Mc'D's and take the lesser income but flip those fries with a smile!! Go be happy, go be respected!

Less is not always more

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Select Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work/life balance - able to take time off as needed for personal matters, vacation, etc.

Cons

Understaffed and underpaid... Leadership could use leadership instruction

Exciting opportunity turned into an absolutely horrible experience

Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Dallas, TX

I worked at Select Medical full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some truly outstanding individuals (nursing staff) that work hard and really care. Select has good beliefs and ideas.

Cons

Sr. leadership only look out for themselves with a "Cross me and I'll get you" mentality despite corporate anti-retaliation policy. Willingness to lose amazing & hard working employees while retaining incompetent ones that "play the game"...extremely high turnover.

Advice to Management

Corporate management needs to step up and take charge. Don't be afraid to stand up for what is right, you create the rules and the model so everyone should follow them.

Take a chance if your self esteem is low, they will push it even lower

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They do pay good money if you are on the floor.

Cons

No appreciation, They have no problem telling you to move on if you do not like how they do things. Corporate team is too old and set in their ways. They fire good people and keep TOXIC, CANCEROUS people in place. If you are looking to make a quick buck, be a pool nurse, but don't invest your time or energy in this company, they are no good, the corporate team (West region, Texas) need to be cleaned out!

Advice to Management

Poor management, You guys don't follow your rules, you are backwards, but I don't care because you keep me working, I people can do just about anything and keep their job, THANK YOU

RSS Feed </> Embed