Select Medical Reviews

Updated August 27, 2014

2.2

Select Medical CEO and Director Robert A. Ortenzio
Robert A. Ortenzio

Pros
  • Resources, continuing education, certifications, operations support, clinical excellence and patient centered focus (in 4 reviews)

• Hershey park is nice for our company picnic (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Productivity is more important than patient care (in 6 reviews)

• We have such a high turnover rate, in the last 6 months four of the five people we have hired have already quit (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Not the same company anymore...

Former Employee - Director of Business Development  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Director of Business Development in Columbus, OH

I worked at Select Medical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Other staff members... Clean facilities. It's very hard to think of anything else.....

Cons

Micromanaging regional directors that will never see you in person. They manage via email. They do not take your recommendations for improvements unless it was their idea.

Listen to your front line staff. Don't always believe the CEO at the hospitals... Half the time they are not even working and leave the facilities early/come in late... They set horrible examples.

As with all large corporations unrealistic and out of touch corporate management

Former Employee - Clinical Liaison  in  Hackensack, NJ
    Former Employee - Clinical Liaison in Hackensack, NJ

I worked at Select Medical full-time for more than a year

Pros

I liked my co-workers and to some extent it was flexible.

Cons

Business was very slow and expectations were unrealistic. No one listened to us no matter how many times we made suggestions on ways to improve things it was always business as usual. Local CEO and HR were unprofessional and upper management is not minding the store. Local CEO was cheap with raises and low balled new employees. People got fired a lot.

Get rid of incompetent CEOs (I'm not talking about the company CEO as a whole he's way removed from the local employment sites I'm talking about the CEO of the locale their are several hundred nationwide).

not a great fit

Current Employee - Therapy  in  Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Therapy in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Select Medical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

pay was good. hospital was small. administration was respectful at the hospital level. had good worker safety programs in place. Training was adequate.

Cons

short staffing was common. no upward mobility. very little lateral mobility. Night staff was uncontrollable. Lots and lots of turnover in the nursing end.

examine your turnover rate. there may be something behind it.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good opportunity for new grads for entry level position.

Current Employee - COTA  in  Greenville, SC
    Current Employee - COTA in Greenville, SC

I have been working at Select Medical part-time for more than a year

Pros

Good work environment. Flexible hours .

Cons

Productivity level unrealistic at times; Corporate environment with little individual opportunity for creative input. Co workers have reported no raises since hire, not evaluated annually for merit.

All about the money

Former Employee - Registered Nurse  in  Sylvania, OH
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Sylvania, OH

I worked at Select Medical full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The money was competitive for the area, but it is not worth the stress and risk to your professional license.

Cons

Management is a disaster. Policies change daily. HR doesn't return phone calls or emails, lies then denies it. They went through 5 different administrations in 6 years. Can't keep a good, honest, caring CEO or nurse manager. Communication is non-existent for the most part. Profit and keeping beds filled is their priority. They don't care about staff or if there is even enough staff to take care of the patients as long as the beds are filled and the money is coming in. Patient ratios are unrealistic and unsafe. No one can be trusted, everyone is encouraged to throw each other under the bus creating a hostile environment. They rule by intimidation, lies and deceit.

Put patient care and employee's first.

Horrible

Former Employee - Pharmacist  in  Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Pharmacist in Columbus, OH

I worked at Select Medical full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The work itself is interesting. The patients are complex, the Physicians are engaging, and the type of material that needs to be presented is fun.

Cons

The managment are all friends and if you're not in their inner circle, they will try to throw you out. No matter how hard you work, it doesn't matter.

Don't ignore the things going on around you just because it's easier than confronting the issue. IF you notice an employee is working very hard, acknowledge that and give some encouragement instead of always beating down everyone.

Corrupt senior management and zero loyalty to long term employees

Current Employee - Occupational Medicine  in  Reading, PA
    Current Employee - Occupational Medicine in Reading, PA

I have been working at Select Medical full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Unfortunately, there are no longer any Pros. At one time money was a pro, but now the max increase is 2%.

Cons

Deceit is huge. Everyone, regardless of title, is willing to throw everyone and anyone under the bus. Even HR endorses awful practices. If you are willing to drink the koolaid, you're good though.

Be more knowledgeable about what is going on at every level. Think before acting. Make sure people in management positions should actually be there. Stop abusing good employees and rewarding cancerous ones.

Great wage, fun coworkers

I have been working at Select Medical

Pros

Great facility, fun environment, good wage and benefits.

Cons

High standards for productivity and efficiency.

Make more reasonable expectations.

Very busy, wide ranging experience.

I have been working at Select Medical

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to gain a lot of experience in different areas. Will work with many different software packages and applications.

Cons

Try to do too much with too little. Understaffed, which leads to inducing many of their own problems. Poor project management, lack of communication and interaction between departments. Salary could be better.

Abundant fraudulant billing enforced by 90% "productivity" (should be termed "billability") requirement

Current Employee - Physical Therapist  in  Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Select Medical full-time for less than a year

Pros

Not a single good reason to work for Select Medical unless you are starving and that is the last job on the planet.

Cons

The ENTIRE corporate structure from the top down is the reason to not EVER work for Select. One day they will get theirs for the crappy "treatment" of their patients and employees. MONEY is the bottom line of each and every decision made. Employees are all considered expendable and actually that is how they continue to rape and pillage our health care system without their employees raising a stink. They simply only hire contractors that are there for a short time and have an extremely high turnover rate for all positions. This serves to their advantage in that if everyone is "new" all of the time, they can't possibly start to try and improve the work environment because they are still learning to manage their work.

I truly hope management gets what they deserve for the lack of empathy for our seniors. This is a sick, sick, sick company to work for. I truly will do my best to see that the upper management gets jail time because your policies and procedures are dispicable, illegal and fraudulent.

Worked for Select Medical? Contribute to the Community!