Select Medical Reviews

• Full-time
  • Part-time
Employment Status

Reset

If you care about patients walk away FAST!!

I worked at Select Medical

Pros

I received a pay check, but other than that, unless you are the CEO and get money for the amount of business brought in, I have nothing.

Cons

If you care about the environment then you should go somewhere else. Forest after forest are killed at this company!
    No scrubs, but the front desk employees look trashy and so do the Therapists. A uniform or scrubs would make the employees look better. People wear random stuff and look unkept.
    What happened to patient care!! Way too much time spent by the front desk on the same reports printed out over and over. Days are spent on these strange reports that basically all mean about the same thing. Funny that everyone agrees that it is all about the same paperwork wasted by Printing, but no one does anything about it. I was not given Insurance benefit paperwork, important HR phone numbers, but we have to trash the environment with the same paperwork printed that gives the info in different ways.

Advice to Management

To make money you have to spend money, and that is not meant for you to buy smaller companies, it is meant that money needs to be spent on a computer system ( AKA...EMR) that really works. What I have seen is a major HIPPA and Joint Commission free for all and money maker.

Hired with 3 months experience, good orientation program and some great experience.

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Warren, OH
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Warren, OH

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of great experience, fair pay, lots of overtime opportunities.

Cons

Management. They don't seem to care about the employees at all. Almost always understaffed and overworked. Rarely get any kind of recognition or thank you when it is clearly warranted, like picking up extra shifts, etc.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees. Handle staffing.

Materials Manager

I have been working at Select Medical (More than a year)

Pros

Select Medical is a growing company, diversifying itself into many aspects of healthcare. When your particular facility is doing well then then corporate management takes care of you. However when there are struggles they feel like they need to rattle everyone's cages. High turnover has been prevalent since I began my employment. This affects continuity and morale. The facility CEO has a dramatic affect on overall work conditions. A bad one can run everyone into the ground, a great one makes your job enjoyable. Overall they are supportive if you are engaged in company objectives yet often times it is difficult to perform your job when they have Leadership members wearing so many hats. Not much room for growth unless you are in upper, upper management. Like most organizations, you have your politics and favoritism, your performers and non performers. If you fond your niche and are comfortable with it then it is not a bad place to work. Low raise structure for most employer; 3% tops unless you are in the upper management category or a Clinical Liaison.

Cons

Most operations are run on a shoe string budget which doesn't always jive well with patient care needs. Challenging to walk the tight rope of corporate expectations, patient care and staffing requirements. Maintain morale and collaborative efforts between staff and management can be strenuous.

Advice to Management

Work on maintaining teamwork and morale. Stop running middle management into the ground and set realistic goals while implementing the resources and tools to accomplish these goals.

Warning!

Former Employee - CNO in Mechanicsburg, PA
    Former Employee - CNO in Mechanicsburg, PA

I worked at Select Medical

Pros

There are no pros about this unprofessional calamity of an employer. Corporate micromanages each facility and patient safety is constantly jeopardized. Money is priority and employee engagement is obsolete. Falsification of quality data as well as "anonymous" patient satisfaction surveys runs rampant. Horrible feeling for aspiring care providers! No evidence based practice exists in the education and training, it's all about making money! Leadership...or should I say management bc leaders don't exist there, is purely robotic. No development or sense of pride for accomplishing any purpose other than making corporate execs wealthier. Corporate management is comprised of stubborn elderly and repulsively disengaged tyrants. They don't care about anyone except their investors!

Cons

As a former CNO who cares about potential nurses interested in working for them, please do your research. Patient care is so sad across the company. The turnover rate is astronomical for staff and the perception of Select is the same as Kindred. If you must work here to get your foot in the door for healthcare, get out as fast as you can. It's a risk to your license the longer you stay, take my word for it. Please heed my warning and save yourself heartaches.

Advice to Management

Restructuring of corporate leadership as well as much of your operational practices. There's lots of illegal, immoral, and unethical practices that are reflective of what you allow. I hope 2016 legislation forces many of your so called hospitals to close. You can't cheat the system forever, you'll get caught eventually. Invest in your employees your leadership development and your clinical programs. Do the right thing.

6. Director Of Rehabilitation

I have been working at Select Medical full-time

Pros

Very Professional, Focus on Compliance, Great Regional Director

Cons

All other facilities are in other states

RN

I have been working at Select Medical full-time

Pros

Pay, benefits, work with great team! Have been at select for almost a year and so far it has been good.

Cons

The education is ridiculous, paper charting, not enough staff. HR department is horrible.

Advice to Management

Fire who works in HR and get a new person!

8. Terrible and filled with egos

Current Employee - Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Distance from home. A steady pay. A/c in the summer and heat in the winter. Honestly, I reached for those things.

Cons

The list never ends. There is so much illegal and discriminating behavior, it's sickening. The supervisors have no idea what is going on. Picking people to target is more important that actually making a difference. It's heartbreaking.

Advice to Management

Get off your leather chairs and get with it. Stop reading management books and actually do it.

Patient Care? Not really

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cincinnati, OH

I have been working at Select Medical full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really like some of my coworkers

Cons

Horrible leadership.
    CNO who lead by intimidation was promoted to "lead" 2 hospitals, she plays favorites, could care less about patient care, and was never around. She "works at home" a lot - when your job is managing a hospital, shouldn't you be at the hospital?

Advice to Management

Look at the leadership - look who is rarely on the floor....

Physical Therapist

Former Employee - Physical Therapist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist in New York, NY

I worked at Select Medical

Pros

Good benefits, overtime pay, co-workers

Cons

low pay, horrible upper management

11. Would absolutely not recommend.

I worked at Select Medical

Pros

There are no pros to working here.

Cons

The pay is horrible, the benefits do not make up for how little they pay you and they absolutely do not appreciate or value their employees. They keep secrets (poorly) from you and choose favorites who then get promoted to the top.

Advice to Management

Pay better and start appreciating your employees better. Don't talk about them behind their backs and treat some better than others.

RSS Feed </> Embed