Select Portfolio Servicing

Updated Apr 11, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Tim O'Brien

Great place to learn.....

Financial Analyst (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsFlexible schedule, tuition reimbursement, learning opportunities if you want from management that is open to employees at all levels. Great work life balance environment to work in.

ConsOnce you understand your job it's the same every month and can get boring, you can ask for extra but depending on your manager sometimes it's just boring busy work. It pays to make the right relationships there.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to hard workers and reward them so they don't leave after they have gained experience.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Sweat Shop

Supervisors (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time for more than 3 years

ProsDecent pay to start, but raises are horrible even with a very good year end review.

ConsBad insurance. Horrible management who demean their employees and are unprofessional. Cut throat/cold hearted co. Lots of favortism given to certain employees. Outsources anything and everything to India. Constant threats of your job being outsourced. High stress and they expect your job to be your life. Dont expect a good work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementCreate a better work environment. Stop outsourcing American jobs and expect your employees to support it. They do a horrible job, and we have to fix their errors. Give a choice on insurance options. Stop letting managers break company rules just because they are in management.

Unorganized sweat shop....don't go there !!!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time for less than a year

ProsPay was decent with an onsite, unstaffed exercise facility.

ConsIncentives are difficult to obtain, no
Attendance policy does not allow more than 2 people to take time off per department per day and is designed to keep you with occurrences.
Medical benefits not that good ...high deductible plan is your only option.
Supervisors are treated as high level reps..... with no authority or empowerment

Advice to Senior ManagementStop making idle promises

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Boring, micro-managed experience.

Escrow Specialist II (Former Employee)

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time for less than a year

ProsGood hours, central location, to be honest the job was easy. Seems to be a company with promise.

ConsPoor, unprofessional management. It seems you get promoted just for sticking around long enough, not because you have leadership or skills. Management is very 'do as I say, not as I do'. Not enough work, horrible benefits, high-school atmosphere.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire managers that have skills and know how to lead, or promote people who do, not just people who have been around long enough.

good benefits and pay

Underwriter (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time for less than a year

Prosstable, good pay with benefits, structured schedule

Consat times it can get stressful when you're team is under time constraints to finish projects, but the stress is still less than other jobs

Advice to Senior Managementincrease the pay with experience

Unprofessional High School Atmosphere

Loss Mitigation (Former Employee)

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time for less than a year

ProsPay is decent compared to their competitors (other call canters) and it is very easy to get hired.

ConsBuilding is very run down and in a scary area. The work environment is hostile due to employees with seniority essentially hazing new employees. A lot of high school drama, and employees being very open about sleeping with each other and trading sexual favors for promotions.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe a little bit more selective of who you hire and get a new building.

Great pay but not worth it.

GSE Servicer (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time for more than a year

ProsExcellent pay. Chance to make big money if you know how to work the system.

ConsAlways making big changes and failing to communicate those changes clearly to employees. You'll get different answers from every member of management for the same question.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on fairness to your top performers. Don't move your best people into positions where they are expected to work harder for less money.

A Culture of Poor Morale and Paranoia

Loss Mitigation MHA Single Point of Contact (Current Employee)
Salt Lake City, UT

ProsThe initial training is both comprehensive and well-presented. I was very impressed with the trainers and the "Coaching and Development" phase of the entry process. The "culture" seemed to be one that valued the individual employees and fostered a spirit of individual growth and teamwork. The incentives are excellent, but make sure that you have the ability to put your sense of commitment to the customer on the background in exchange for making a quick buck.

Cons"Compliance" is a real catchphrase at SPS... but I found out that means obsessively overstating and/or over exaggerating regulations, to the point of being counterproductive and forcing employees to devote a great deal of time and attention to "covering ones own derriere" and being prepared with enough ammunition to constantly prove ones innocence in the face of supervisors and managers who do little to examine the reality of the situation. And that situation is a mess of unrealistic expectations of employees and a faulty reporting system. I have never before experienced a constant stream of patronization and belittlement at any other job before. Get used to being put down and degraded and /or humiliated if you plan on working here.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend time investing in the morale of your employees. Cash incentives alone are not enough to foster a spirit of positivity and a desire to really drive maximum performance in your staff. FOCUS on the positive aspects of your employees, and those will grow. Forcing employees to be on the constant defensive = failure.

All about who you friend to move up in the company.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe servicing itself as a company has high expectations and provide options for mortgagers

ConsRegardless of how well you do if you don't kiss up you don't move up

Class system, but the "slaves" are treated pretty well.

I have been working at Select Portfolio Servicing full-time

ProsGood wages with decent work hours and work conditions. Good bonus and incentive program if you are fast at what you do. Overtime is optional but available. Many prizes can be won if you're lucky and annual summer event is a highlight. But the pay kept me going for over 5 yrs.

ConsManagement doesn't always know what's going on and are all friends with each other. For promotions, it pays to be personable or attractive, and it doesn't matter much about your skills or background. Those of us not in management are sometimes made to feel worthless. The incentive program penalizes those who take their time to make sure the work is done right and management never seriously punishes those who work too fast and make many mistakes.

Worked for Select Portfolio Servicing? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Select Portfolio Servicing reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Select Portfolio Servicing CEO Tim O'Brien. All 24 reviews posted anonymously by Select Portfolio Servicing employees.