Select Rehabilitation

Updated December 3, 2014
Updated December 3, 2014
2.2

Neal Deutsch

Supportive to their staff in upper management Provides routine inservice for documentation.

Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist in Flint, MI

I have been working at Select Rehabilitation full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Upper management Supportive to their staff in Providing routine inservice for documentation. Good salary.

Cons

Not much except productivity for physical therapist can be less ,between 85% to 90% Because it vary from one facility to anther.

Flexibility with vacation time.

Quality vs efficiency - there is a balance in there but not at 92% productivity.

Current Employee - Staff OTR
    Current Employee - Staff OTR

I have been working at Select Rehabilitation full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There is nothing that they provide that makes them standout differently in a positive way from any other company.

Cons

92% productivity is crazy if you really think you're going to give quality care. You can't have both. They expect point of service documentation but 1 computer for 3 therapists makes that impossible.
    Management does not care about quality or retention, only their numbers.

Spend one full week as a therapist again and try to live by your own rules.
    Hire Rehab directors that actually know how to manage people and get rid of the ones that can't or don't. They are toxic to those that actually do the work.

Poor company to work for

Current Employee - COTA/L
    Current Employee - COTA/L

I have been working at Select Rehabilitation full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, online pay stub before direct deposit

Cons

Unethical productivity standards,no raise in 3 years, no match on 401k, expensive insurance.

Take care of your employees and they will take care of you.

Unethical company

Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Speech Language Pathologist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Select Rehabilitation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There were no "pros" to working for this company.

Cons

You must either commit Medicare fraud or work off the clock in order to meet their unrealistic productivity requirements (92%).

You must be willing to put your morals and ethics aside.

In school, we are taught that clinicians should always determine an appropriate plan of care for each patient, including whether or not he or she is a candidate for therapy, how long treatment sessions should be, and when to discharge the patient. If you decide to work for this company, be prepared to forfeit any and all autonomy that you should have to make professional decisions regarding the care of your patients. They will demand that you pick up patients that are not appropriate for treatment. They will put most (if not all) of their patients at the highest RUG level (Medicare reimbursement level), regardless of actual patient need. When you decide that a patient has met max potential, and is ready for discharge, they will demand that you keep them on caseload, even insisting on switching to another therapist so they can bill for a few more weeks of therapy. If you object, they will threaten your job. Many of us were told that if we didn't want to follow their rules, then there were plenty of other therapists who would gladly take our job. This is the most unethical company I have ever worked for. I would quit this profession before working for them again.

Get out of this business if you can't muster enough morality to put your patients' needs at least on even ground with your profits. As more and more former employees report you to Medicare, hopefully you won't be in business much longer.

Certified Athletic Trainer

Current Employee - Certified Athletic Trainer in Hartford, CT
    Current Employee - Certified Athletic Trainer in Hartford, CT

I have been working at Select Rehabilitation part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to set up school. Promotions and bonuses available

Cons

working in the clinic is not fun

There is a reason Select pays well...

Former Employee - SLP
    Former Employee - SLP

I worked at Select Rehabilitation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The facilities Select contracted with were very clean and well run.

Cons

To meet the productivity standard a therapist has to do one of two things, break Medicare rules or work off the clock. I got pretty tired of working for free! If I would have averaged what I was paid and the actual hours worked, the pay would not have seemed so stellar. Patient care is ranked quite a few notches below productivity. Did I mention productivity is important to this company? You have to wait about 3-4 weeks for your first paycheck.

It's sad to say but, I hope Medicare comes after companies like yours for unethical practices!! I don't believe your business practices will change otherwise.

Unsupported and Unethical Requests

Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Centralia, WA
    Former Employee - Physical Therapist Assistant in Centralia, WA

I worked at Select Rehabilitation full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

They pay well compared to other companies. They have decent benefits. They support cooperative working with other disciplines.

Cons

They encourage unethical treatments, or support DORs that ask this of therapists. They change benefits despite what promised upon hire without notice. Micromanaged. HR is very rude and disrespectful to staff. Reimbursements documentation is frequently "lost" or "never received" or "misplaced" resulting in late reimbursement. Licensure fee never reimbursed despite policy stating it would be. Refuse to consider PTO requests in advance making vacation scheduling/purchases impossible then when they will consider requests there is not coverage. PTO forfeited upon resignation. No raise for 4+ years. Productivity and RUs are of sole importance over what is right for the patient. Insufficient laptops provided to ensure their productivity expectations are met. Very poor treatment of employees injured on the job.

Select could use to respect their therapists, increase wages with cost of living, abide by code of ethics, and have more realistic expectations of employees.

The company pay rate is good as is the benefits package.

Current Employee - PTA in Weatherford, TX
    Current Employee - PTA in Weatherford, TX

I have been working at Select Rehabilitation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The pay and benefits costs are very good but the management feedback and support are terrible to non-at all.

Cons

The upper management do not appear to be supportive of their employees.

Act like your supportive and thankful for the job your emplyees do.

It was a good experience. I was a rehab tech.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Select Rehabilitation

Pros

I enjoyed learning about PT.

Cons

They treat employees like a number .

Get everything in writing

Current Employee - Speech-Language Pathologist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Speech-Language Pathologist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Select Rehabilitation full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have a great rehab manager who is a practicing therapist (i.e., has realistic expectations and understands the daily challenges therapists encounter in a SNF).

Cons

Poor work/life balance, productivity pressures, shrinking benefits, pay freeze, promises made upon hire but not necessarily kept, poor onsite resources

Reconsider productivity standards, value clinical judgement over medicare dollars, reconsider CEU policies to enable therapists to obtain functional, applicable skills vs. tedious corporate-based documentation/reimbursement courses