Select Specialty Hospitals

Select Specialty Hospitals Reviews

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Select Specialty NW Detroit-A wonderful company to work for!

I worked at Select Specialty Hospitals

ProsManagement is extremely supportive and caring. Leadership pulls team together to effect positive change

ConsStaff nurses lack longterm LTACH experience, but are eager to learn.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work and continue the positive supportive environment Marilouise & team :)

Very qualified staff but with a high level of turnover due to changing management.

I worked at Select Specialty Hospitals full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat salary, people who care about what they do and conscientious of patients' well-being. Excellent training programs. Very cognizant of financial health. Clean environment.

ConsHigh turnover of staff due to workload and management demands.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore activities that involve staff teamwork so they will support each other and work together.

CNA

CNA (Former Employee)
Pontiac, MI

I worked at Select Specialty Hospitals full-time for more than a year

ProsWonderful, caring staff. flexible days

Conslifting & turning heavy patients, very emotional families some time hard to deal with.

Advice to Senior Managementteach staff to worker together

Loved my job

Staff RN (Former Employee)
East Mc Keesport, PA

I worked at Select Specialty Hospitals full-time for more than 3 years

Prosfantastic coworkers!! self scheduling, great learning environment. worked with some top notch nurses

Conssome poor DON choices, let the power mongers run amuck!!

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting people to the levels of their incompetence!

Frustrating

Flint, MI

I worked at Select Specialty Hospitals full-time for more than a year

ProsFellow employees doing great under harse conditions

ConsEverything, everything based on money. Staffing, ordering, types of patients, scheduling entirely based on money. Management indifferent or overtly hostile to employee suggestions.
Upper management makes decisions company wide based on single incidents. Cannot cope with 50 different state laws. Local management have very little autonomy.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive local management more autonomy. Patients over profits. Reduce turnover.

It's all about the money.

Administration (Former Employee)
Detroit, MI

I worked at Select Specialty Hospitals full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLearn the LTACH industry and the for-profit health care market..

ConsPay is very poor workload is outrageous.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut your money where your mouth is. You are NOT about quality with the current staffing ratios.

Poorly informed employees can lead to mistakes

Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee)
Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Select Specialty Hospitals full-time for more than a year

Proscompetitive salary, good benefits, encourages continuing education, promotes from within, locations all over the United States with opportunity for laterally mobility

ConsProblems that have been properly addressed through the chain of command don't seem to garner attention from appropriate management and aren't solved in a timely fashion. Medical floor procedures are often performed without employees having all the necessary information to effectively treat patient and keep staff safe from exposure to highly communicable disease and illness.

Advice to Senior ManagementAHA guidelines dictate a facility may not include the word "Hospital" in their name unless there is an onsite 24/7 ER. Because of this, potential clients and employees are misled to believe that Select is an actual hospital when it is not. Instead of having the M.O. of leasing space in an already existing hospital in order to achieve this undeserved status, I believe that you should exist in buildings where you have to stand alone and be called what you really are, a step down unit.

You will work yourself to the bone here.

Certified Nursing Assistant (Former Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Select Specialty Hospitals full-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay for CNA's, talented nurses, great opportunity to learn about complex medical issues.

ConsYou will work yourself to the bone here, and at the end of the day have nothing left to give to your family. Prepare to spend 12 hours a day on your feet, sometimes not getting a break. CNA's are constantly understaffed, resulting in high ratios that are unsafe in an LTAC setting. Many patients have behavioral issues and having 8-10 patients per CNA is a disaster waiting to happen. Many of the CNA's i worked with were lazy and spent hours a day sitting in the break rooms on their cell phones, and management turned a blind eye. Some girls were taking 45 minute- 1 hour lunch breaks instead of their allowed half an hour and never once got reprimanded. Unrealistic expectations for what CNAs need to get done every shift. Unrealistic attendance policy- if you call it 1 hour and 59 minutes before your shift rather than 2 hours or more, you will use 1/3 of your attendance points for the entire year on one absence. Call in on a weekend and 12 of your 20 points for the entire year are gone. The biggest issue is that you lose less points showing up and going home sick than you do calling in ahead of time, so many CNAs would come in, work for half an hour, then leave sick, leaving the floor short staffed for the entire shift. CNAs are also constantly put on "call back", basically being forced to take the day off without pay- losing 12 or sometimes 24 hours of pay per pay period is ridiculous. I never received any of the PTO i earned, never felt appreciated, and was constantly rushed to give more bed baths and wipe more butts despite having a huge patient load.

Advice to Senior Managementappreciate your employees or they will disappear. Weed out the bad ones- i constantly found myself doing my co-workers' jobs while they sat on their butts. Staff your units appropriately, 8-10 patients per CNA is unsafe and results in lower patient satisfaction scores. Get rid of the Amplion system, it doesn't work. We always found ways around it.

RRT

RRT (Former Employee)
Miami, FL

I worked at Select Specialty Hospitals full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLearn new clinical experiences everyday

Consas for me no downsides. It was a priviledge

Great experience for a new grad, but can be stressful and overwhelming for some.

Registered Nurse, Charge Nurse (Current Employee)
Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Select Specialty Hospitals full-time for more than a year

Pros12 hours shifts, friendly staff, plenty of overtime available, competitive wages with okay benefits. Overall a fairly decent place to work.

ConsSince the company is a for-profit company, feeling understaffed is a regular occurrence. Feels a little behind the times with EMR and since the company is a nationwide company, anything new has to trickle down the corporate chain.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow better staffing on a daily basis will provide better patient outcomes, less complaints from patients, families and staff.

Worked for Select Specialty Hospitals? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Select Specialty Hospitals reviews and ratings. All 17 reviews posted anonymously by Select Specialty Hospitals employees.