SelectQuote

SelectQuote Reviews

Updated January 26, 2015
Updated January 26, 2015

Charan Singh

If you work hard you will succeed!

I have been working at SelectQuote

Pros

*Great opportunity for advancement
    *Great people & environment
    *Performance based incentives & bonuses
    *Family friendly
    *Executives are a pleasure to work for

Cons

*401K Match is very little
    *Like any sales job it takes alot of hard work, dedication and motivation to be successful

Great Place

I have been working at SelectQuote

Pros

Every possible chance to succeed. Great management

Cons

lead delivery is not consistent

Insurance Rep

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in San Diego, CA

I worked at SelectQuote

Pros

If you are on the west coast you can make 10k a month or more. Great group of people, supportive managers.

Cons

Don't fool yourself, you need to be a special breed of person to work here for an extended period of time. It's an inbound call center and it's inside sales. The problem is that 90% if the people calling in from the TV commercials are not eligible for life insurance as they are unemployed and on disability. Expect to grind through long, long days on the phones to make a few sales to make money. There is tremendous but subtle pressure to perform. Agents are NOT given the same leads so some perform markedly better than other which leaves the other agents feverishly working to keep up - an ingenious management plan but one that leads to a lot of anxiety for others. You may think you can hack 10 hour days talking to deadbeats to make 10k a month, but 90% of agents are done within a year. A hard core group of agents can handle it and seem happy to do so.

Management gives you all the support you need to succeed, it's up to you to make it happen.

Negativity abound

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SelectQuote full-time (more than a year)

Pros

no pros I can think of, this company should be a great place but not with bad people in upper management

Cons

crooked management, negative sales tactics, threatening management styles, unsophisticated technology

manage with integrity

Passion and Drive are keys to success.

Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Sales Agent

I have been working at SelectQuote full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Earning Potential, advancement opportunities, and flexibility. Ample leads are available.

Cons

Emotionally challenging. Need to have an impervious confidence. Need to be a self motivated individual that brings their best everyday.

Sales organizations are driven by emotions, teamwork, and a strong inner cultural that fosters development . The sales floor need to be an area that presents this on a daily basis.

Medicare sales

Former Employee - AEP in Leawood, KS
    Former Employee - AEP in Leawood, KS

I worked at SelectQuote

Pros

There are no Pros for working for this company , they should be shut down immediately

Cons

Everything , horrible company to work for. Broken promises , this company lacks morals . From CEO to lower management , nothing but lies . I've seen this company ruin families lives with there lies and decipt

Get a new job

Horrible company that is unethical

Former Employee - Insurance Broker in Kansas City, MO
    Former Employee - Insurance Broker in Kansas City, MO

I worked at SelectQuote

Pros

None that I can think of

Cons

They hired a couple dozen employees during the summer for full time positions-after open enrollment closed they laid off those employees stating their reason was that it was only a temporary position-then why don't you say that when hiring? They also don't have a grace period for FSA balances & shut off our card prior to being let go. We have yet to be able to get a hold of HR to dispute this because they never answer their phones. Ironically, they have the worst insurance plans for their employees that are very high priced. My advice? Be your own boss & become an independent insurance broker rather than working for this terrible company.

Realistic expectations

Needs Some Work but all is not lost

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at SelectQuote full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Can make over $100,000. Medical and Dental. Get a seniority bonus. The longer you work here the greater your bonus. The company can be awesome but they need to make some serious changes. $52k base plus commission. You really are finding best prices for people who call in for life insurance and auto insurance so you feel good and honest about what you are saying to the customers. This is why this company still has a chance to turn things around.

Cons

This is just my opinion and everything I say may not be 100% accurate to everyone.

Most sales agents must work over 40 hours a week to make over $100,000 which is very possible if you stay at full speed everyday. Encouraged to work as much as possible within the overtime allotted hours. This would be no problem if you felt appreciated and that your hard work would pay off with out constant changes. A few sales people work 40 hours and do well financially but not a common thing to make over $100,000.

Ground hogs day. The job is high volume and you are constantly being picked on for what you do wrong. It's nothing personal but it does get to you after a while.

If you do not follow all the every changing rules to a T, upper management can take a sale that you worked long and hard to write away from you. I am not sure how this is fair but they believe it is necessary to keep employees on track. Micro management like i have never experienced before. You are treated like children and I am not offended easily and I feel this way as well.

Only the new employees seem happy as they have not been there long enough to feel the toll it takes. Very low morale.

They seem to be very hard on their managers and never seem to take the feedback we give our managers to heart. This is a guess because they do not share day to day with sales personnel but from what I see this is how it is. We just know not to bother giving feedback any longer because it falls on deaf ears. They may listen to our suggestions but we have yet to see much of a difference. They may be working on making changes, I don't know, but I have not seen anything significant in favor of employees.

They force life insurance agents to get their customers an auto quote which cheapens the sales call and makes it feel like a call center when we are suppose to be life insurance agents. Threatened with pay cuts quarterly if you do not get enough customers quote for auto insurance yet we are "life" insurance agents not auto insurance agents.

Medical and dental are covered but very expensive.
    They only match 401k $500 a year or less I think. Makes it a difficult company to want to retire with.

They say that there is no cap to commission but it seems that every time people start making a lot of money with a new pay program they roll out, they make changes to prevent further increase.
    If you are a top performer, there is not much room for growth in my opinion since a promotion to management can at times be a pay cut from what I understand.

Remember that if employees feel appreciated they will work harder for you.
    Have motivational or sales speakers come in to keep the employees excited and eye on the prize. GIve more praise and better contests. Invest in your employees more then just the initial training. You will benefit financially by doing so.

FInd another way to make things happen sans constant rules, then rule changes and getting on your employees everyday for what they did wrong instead of what they did right.

Pay your support staff and sales assistants more then peanuts to keep them motivated and morale up.

Spend the money and have a Holiday party outside of work hours so that everyone can bond and feel like a close organization.
    Treat your managers with respect and pay them fairly. They work so hard and with out them many sales people wouldn't make it.
    Give sales people better monetary incentives for auto insurance quotes/transferred calls if you want them to work hard
    and do it with passion.

Don't Believe the lies

Former Employee - Agent in Leawood, KS
    Former Employee - Agent in Leawood, KS

I worked at SelectQuote

Pros

You meet some great people, but most of them leave.
    Mediocre training.
    Benefits are alright.
    Decent time off policies

Cons

Micro managed out of your mind
    They start lying to you at the first interview. They lie about the pay, about the expanding and upward mobility.
    They lie about the permanent position.
    You go to work here and realize that you are noting more than a temp employee.
    They don't bring in the actual contract that you will work from until the very LAST moment.
    You don't find out until later that you are being paid SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than other employees
    The leads that you get are decided on whether you were referred to them by one of their friends and "sacred few" or by whether or not one of the management finds you attractive and wants to hit on you.
    Those few will get the select leads and everyone else gets the dregs.
    And if you are over the age of 40, the older you are the less chance you will be kept on.

Look at what your middle management is doing. Not if they are yes men. There is no equality in what is going on beneath you.

Very disappointing experience

Former Employee - Healthcare Product Advisor in Leawood, KS
    Former Employee - Healthcare Product Advisor in Leawood, KS

I worked at SelectQuote

Pros

Upscale facilities in convenient location. Very comprehensive training program. Frequent social events within office. Computer/tech issues were frequent, but IT staff was always very responsive.

Cons

"Temp-to-hire" nature of job not disclosed until after hire. More than 50% of new agents were terminated before end of training. I made it through training but found income potential to be grossly misrepresented. In most cases, the opportunity simply wasn't there due to poor quality of company-provided "leads", and agents were not allowed to do their own prospecting. Extreme micro-management. Supervisor was a fresh graduate with no management experience.

In my opinion, this is a disreputable company that takes advantage of their employees. I experienced nothing but empty promises, poor management and a whole lot of turnover. If you want to get into the insurance industry, look elsewhere. You'll have more success as a captive agent or working independently.

SelectQuote Photos