Selectica

Updated June 21, 2014
4.0

Selectica President and CEO Blaine Mathieu
Blaine Mathieu

Selectica has been exceptional for me and provides daily excitement in a very hot and growing market space.

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Every employee can and is encouraged/empowered to be able to make a direct impact to the company both personally and professionally.

Cons

Great product, great customers, wonderfully engaged employees now just need to continue to grow with high quality resources to keep up with the pace.

Keeping focus on the employees and the true key values the company has recently set forth upon.

Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Selectica full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good Medical benefit, work from home

Cons

loss making comapany, company had no focus

Focus of growth

Selectica taught me how to be a top tier Business Development/Inside Sales Rep.

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Selectica full-time (more than an year)

Pros

During my time with Selectica I learned a lot about Marketing, Lead Generation, Demand Generation, Sales, Business Development, Business Services, Professional Services, etc. I am thrilled to have Selectica on my resume and am forever thankful to the Rock Stars that asked me to participate in the development of their business as well as my own professional career.

Cons

Poor top level decision making made for a constant divergence in marketplace strategy and marketing messaging strategy. During my time with Selectica, I never really understood who we were as a Company. Unfortunately executive leadership churn was high casing constant consternation amongst the staff. Ultimately I got what I needed from Selectica and moved on to work in Sales at another organization and am thriving for my time spent with my team in Selectica.

Upon submission of my 7 page brief/exit analysis of my time spent in Selectica I surmised that establishing realistic, well defined goals is the first step to righting the ship. The newest CEO is a great example of a true Leader with ambitious but pragmatic ideas and values. I expect only good things to come for Selectica as long as middle management can let Leadership lead!

Startup Feel in an Established Company with a Compelling Vision.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Years ago, Selectica experienced a loss of focus under previous management, which alienated high performers. Current management has turned around the malaise. For the most part, we have the right team in place (the deadwood has been asked to go), and an excitement level around the direction of the company which I'm told hasn't been present in years. Even better, the company is generous with employees and empowers people to make decisions.

Other reviewers have been critical of the new "first time" CEO, so I'll address this also. The CEO is a culture guy, and that's what the company needed. The environment is fun, hip and the company has brought on a number of sharp people in the last 6 months. People sometimes bring pets. Snacks and drinks are abundant, and table tennis tournaments are a mainstay at all times of the day. The work environment is (almost) entirely devoid of the usual B.S. political moves you'd find in other software companies (big and small). Moreover, I get the impression that everyone I interact with on a daily basis is talented and knows what he or she is doing.

More importantly, our CEO reorganized the company around a focused cloud solution, which seems pretty smart. Existing clients have personally told me they're excited about the new focused direction of the company. Everyone I've talked to in sales is fired up and is highly confident about exceeding targets.

For reference: I'm in sales (not sales management)

Cons

There's some work to do bringing up existing accounts to current versions, and challenges around shifting to an "all cloud" company. In other words, short term growing pains, which is a good "con" to have.

Keep doing what you're doing - Keep the culture fun and loose, and keep empowering people to make decisions. Also, keep an eye on overseas expansion into europe and asia-pac.

The Lazarus Effect

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Huge opportunity for growth, ground floor opportunities now, work/life balance, Management committed to, and focused on, big picture goals, company still a size where one person can make a big difference. Good location without the stress of the city, excellent benefits.

Cons

Company growing and changing at breakneck speed, good and bad. Can be stressful, but good if you like a challenge. Location not good for some people.

Very happy with this company and my job!!!

I have been working at Selectica full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The new management team has created an environment that promotes the overall success of this company. It is very apparent that they are extremely customer focused as well as employee focused. This is the first company that I have worked for that realizes its downfalls and is taking the right measures to fix them.I feel that the people who worked here previously are now much happier and have a belief in the company that was lost with the old management. I work remotely, but spend time at the office when possible and the atmosphere is enjoyable.

Cons

With many new people come hurdles, but the management is proving their determination to fill-out the teams with great people.

Continue to make your emaployeees happy to be a part of Selectica. They are very focused on the success of the company and want to go in the direction that we are headed to make this company a household name in Contract Lifecycle Management.

Let's look to continue enhacements to the system incorporating our customers' feedback for necessities and desires.

A needed transition in 2013 sets the stage for a great comeback

I have been working at Selectica

Pros

- New management team is experienced, focused and is executing. I experienced the transition in 2013 and it was desparately needed. The previous "executives" were not "executing".
    - New management is solving the problems that have festered at Selectica for the last 10 years. There are no quick fixes.
    - You must be self driven. If you are looking for specific directions from upper management before taking action this may not be the place for you. However if you are the type of person who is not afraid to propose a better way to do something and you are willing to work to make it happen then Selectica is the perfect place.
    - Flat, open management style

Cons

- Some people that were part of the old Selectica are still around and haven't changed their mindset.
    - It will be a tough road to get Selectica out of the ditch
    - If you are not self driven it will be tough for you.
    - Product is the single biggest problem. It is engineer driven and based on antiquated technology and design patterns.

- Stay customer focused in everything you do
    - Product must be driven by a deep understanding of the contract management business, their pain points, requirements and needs.
    - Create a product vision that will transform the industry. What will Contract Management look like 10 years from now?

Selectica is a great place to work

I have been working at Selectica full-time

Pros

Selectica is an innovative firm providing opportunities to grow, learn and have a positive impact with our colleagues and our clients. I joined the firm because I am inspired by an exceptional leadership team, technology and the global clients we support. I enjoy the camaraderie and everyone's willingness to help one another. I also appreciate the flexibility to work from home or the office. Additionally, I appreciate the wonderful well stocked kitchen, the office putt-putt and the amazing team of folks that work here.

Cons

I honestly can't provide any cons. I am extremely happy working here.

Continue to provide your vision and mission with the team, reward exceptional contributions and provide a fun working environment.

Selectica is poised for great things

I have been working at Selectica full-time

Pros

New management team led by CEO Blaine Mathieu are confident, competent, focused and motivated. The company has taken solid steps over the last 8 months to get things back on track. Renewed focus on customer success, product innovation, and building a solid foundation for growth has been impressive. This is a place to work if you want to make an immediate impact while working with a great leadership team, a great staff and a great product suite.

Cons

Cleaning up the mistakes of the prior management team has taken some time. Most of the issues have been cleared up but there are a few more to work through. But there is a very bright light at the end of the tunnel!

Keep doing what you’ve been doing. All indications are that we are on a path to great things

Exceptional team, solutions, and vision!

Current Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Selectica is an outstanding place to work and I'm fully committed, as a member of a diverse and talented team, to help drive success for our current and future customers. I left Oracle in February 2014 to join Selectica ... and have no doubt it was the right decision. We are doing incredible things with contract management and configuration solutions for many of the biggest and most successful brands in the world across industries.

Cons

I can not think of any "cons" ... simply put, the current team is doing all the right things.

Keep up your exceptional leadership and execution.