Selectica Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
3.6
Patrick Stakenas

1. Startup Feel in an Established Company with a Compelling Vision.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Years ago, Selectica experienced a loss of focus under previous management, which alienated high performers. Current management has turned around the malaise. For the most part, we have the right team in place (the deadwood has been asked to go), and an excitement level around the direction of the company which I'm told hasn't been present in years. Even better, the company is generous with employees and empowers people to make decisions. Other reviewers have been critical of the new "first time" CEO, so I'll address this also. The CEO is a culture guy, and that's what the company needed. The environment is fun, hip and the company has brought on a number of sharp people in the last 6 months. People sometimes bring pets. Snacks and drinks are abundant, and table tennis tournaments are a mainstay at all times of the day. The work environment is (almost) entirely devoid of the usual B.S. political moves you'd find in other software companies (big and small). Moreover, I get the impression that everyone I interact with on a daily basis is talented and knows what he or she is doing. More importantly, our CEO reorganized the company around a focused cloud solution, which seems pretty smart. Existing clients have personally told me they're excited about the new focused direction of the company. Everyone I've talked to in sales is fired up and is highly confident about exceeding targets. For reference: I'm in sales (not sales management)

Cons

There's some work to do bringing up existing accounts to current versions, and challenges around shifting to an "all cloud" company. In other words, short term growing pains, which is a good "con" to have.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing - Keep the culture fun and loose, and keep empowering people to make decisions. Also, keep an eye on overseas expansion into europe and asia-pac.

2. Spinning executive doors

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Selectica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Full blown CLM system but seriously needed an update

Cons

Continued executive leadership revolving door. Efforts to keep revenue level has been done by acquiring companies that adds to year over year total revenue but actual core business is flat .

Advice to Management

Update core CLM with are-write.

So Much Potential

I worked at Selectica full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As many have said, the lower ranks in the company are filled with highly intelligent, friendly people who have a passion for what they do. The product itself has great potential and there are a huge amount of plans to make it even better. The workplace offers a great deal of flexibility between working from home and working in the office.

Cons

However, the road to greatness is mired by inexperienced Senior Management and some key personnel who seemingly have a supernatural lock on their job even after a very long track record of failure. This inability or unwillingness of Senior Management to remove or reassign these personnel results in disillusionment among the employees around them and this in turn causes turn over and apathy. There have been so many broken promisses of change and a "return to glory" that it has made long term employees indifferent to the honeyed words of bungie managers. The spirit of this company seems broken. And all the promises that the past has been a bad dream loose their power to heal when you can still see the monsters hiding under the bed.

Advice to Management

Recognize the bottlenecks in your organization. Make small, short term promises to start. Then once you have a proven track record of delivering on your word, then your grandiose future plans will carry a lot more weight. I honestly wish Selectica a happy and profitable future. I know with the right leadershoip, the potential can be realized.

VP Alliances

I worked at Selectica

Pros

Good people. good strategy. Fair price for solutions functionality

Cons

Former CEO. Lack of domain Expertise. Weak Professional Services

Advice to Management

Listen to Iasta guys and Bill Demartino. Work partners to fullest extent for implementations with true SMEs

Finally heading in the right direction

I have been working at Selectica full-time

Pros

The promotion of Patrick Stakenas in June 2015 to CEO has already changed the company and sales have significantly turned around in last three quarters. The new CEO is focused on product quality (specifically CLM) and removing any roadblocks to achieving significant changes in this area. Employees are once again buzzing about our potential. Also, the upcoming P2P acquisition of B-pack will make Selectica a powerful player in the sourcing and procurement market.

Cons

The last year at Selectica has been a real challenge. The CLM technology has dragged down the company financially and many employees were let go due to cash flow issues despite the positive cash flow contributed by Iasta acquisition. The technology team was protected by the former CEO and that team's performance is the critical roadblock to future product improvement. The new CEO has promised product quality will be his primary focus.

Advice to Management

Please follow through on your promises to changing the quality of the CLM product. We cannot move forward without significant changes in current development / technology team and leadership.

7. Decent place to work

I have been working at Selectica full-time

Pros

Good work/life balance. Can work from home fairly often. Some really great individuals who are committed to getting things done.

Cons

Really mediocre work environment in the office. Unclear how professional development is looked at from management, there's very little in the way of formalized HR.

Advice to Management

Focus on retaining and developing employees. Clearly communicate what the true business objectives are to the employees.

Apr 26, 2015 – HR/Accountant

Thank you for your thoughtful feedback. Your readers may not be aware that Selectica merged with a great company (Iasta) about 9 months ago and recently acquired a second company in our space ... More

8. Transitioning from on-premise highly customized software to a SaaS model.

I have been working at Selectica

Pros

Small company, work hard but lower stress than many this size.

Cons

Stock in the tank, benefits overall were just OK.

Advice to Management

Cut the cord and sell the legacy business to a Wipro-like consulting organization and focus only on SaaS.

Feb 4, 2015 – HR/Accountant

Thanks! I agree that Selectica stock is not trading at anywhere near its potential value and we are very confident that the moves we are making now will change that. A stock being 'in the tank' is ... More

9. Good Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Selectica full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good Medical benefit, work from home

Cons

loss making comapany, company had no focus

Advice to Management

Focus of growth

Dec 12, 2014 – HR/Accountant

Thank you. With our recent acquisition of strategic sourcing leader, Iasta, we are definitely increasing our focus on providing the best contract management and sourcing solutions on the planet! It ... More

10. Selectica taught me how to be a top tier Business Development/Inside Sales Rep.

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Selectica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

During my time with Selectica I learned a lot about Marketing, Lead Generation, Demand Generation, Sales, Business Development, Business Services, Professional Services, etc. I am thrilled to have Selectica on my resume and am forever thankful to the Rock Stars that asked me to participate in the development of their business as well as my own professional career.

Cons

Poor top level decision making made for a constant divergence in marketplace strategy and marketing messaging strategy. During my time with Selectica, I never really understood who we were as a Company. Unfortunately executive leadership churn was high casing constant consternation amongst the staff. Ultimately I got what I needed from Selectica and moved on to work in Sales at another organization and am thriving for my time spent with my team in Selectica.

Advice to Management

Upon submission of my 7 page brief/exit analysis of my time spent in Selectica I surmised that establishing realistic, well defined goals is the first step to righting the ship. The newest CEO is a great example of a true Leader with ambitious but pragmatic ideas and values. I expect only good things to come for Selectica as long as middle management can let Leadership lead!

Dec 12, 2014 – HR/Accountant

As you correctly indicated, prior to 18 months ago the company underwent a lot of change. Since then, in the last 12 months, the leadership team has been almost totally unchanged - except that we ... More

Selectica has been exceptional for me and provides daily excitement in a very hot and growing market space.

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Every employee can and is encouraged/empowered to be able to make a direct impact to the company both personally and professionally.

Cons

Great product, great customers, wonderfully engaged employees now just need to continue to grow with high quality resources to keep up with the pace.

Advice to Management

Keeping focus on the employees and the true key values the company has recently set forth upon.

Dec 15, 2014 – HR/Accountant

Thanks so much for your comments. Our new Employee Council is prioritizing merging the values of Selectica and Iasta (now that we have merged the companies). Luckily, our values are so close already ... More

RSS Feed </> Embed