Selectica

4.0

Selectica President and CEO Blaine Mathieu
Blaine Mathieu

11 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Startup Feel in an Established Company with a Compelling Vision.

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Years ago, Selectica experienced a loss of focus under previous management, which alienated high performers. Current management has turned around the malaise. For the most part, we have the right team in place (the deadwood has been asked to go), and an excitement level around the direction of the company which I'm told hasn't been present in years. Even better, the company is generous with employees and empowers people to make decisions.

Other reviewers have been critical of the new "first time" CEO, so I'll address this also. The CEO is a culture guy, and that's what the company needed. The environment is fun, hip and the company has brought on a number of sharp people in the last 6 months. People sometimes bring pets. Snacks and drinks are abundant, and table tennis tournaments are a mainstay at all times of the day. The work environment is (almost) entirely devoid of the usual B.S. political moves you'd find in other software companies (big and small). Moreover, I get the impression that everyone I interact with on a daily basis is talented and knows what he or she is doing.

More importantly, our CEO reorganized the company around a focused cloud solution, which seems pretty smart. Existing clients have personally told me they're excited about the new focused direction of the company. Everyone I've talked to in sales is fired up and is highly confident about exceeding targets.

For reference: I'm in sales (not sales management)

Cons

There's some work to do bringing up existing accounts to current versions, and challenges around shifting to an "all cloud" company. In other words, short term growing pains, which is a good "con" to have.

Keep doing what you're doing - Keep the culture fun and loose, and keep empowering people to make decisions. Also, keep an eye on overseas expansion into europe and asia-pac.

Selectica taught me how to be a top tier Business Development/Inside Sales Rep.

Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in San Mateo, CA
    Former Employee - Business Development Specialist in San Mateo, CA

I worked at Selectica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

During my time with Selectica I learned a lot about Marketing, Lead Generation, Demand Generation, Sales, Business Development, Business Services, Professional Services, etc. I am thrilled to have Selectica on my resume and am forever thankful to the Rock Stars that asked me to participate in the development of their business as well as my own professional career.

Cons

Poor top level decision making made for a constant divergence in marketplace strategy and marketing messaging strategy. During my time with Selectica, I never really understood who we were as a Company. Unfortunately executive leadership churn was high casing constant consternation amongst the staff. Ultimately I got what I needed from Selectica and moved on to work in Sales at another organization and am thriving for my time spent with my team in Selectica.

Upon submission of my 7 page brief/exit analysis of my time spent in Selectica I surmised that establishing realistic, well defined goals is the first step to righting the ship. The newest CEO is a great example of a true Leader with ambitious but pragmatic ideas and values. I expect only good things to come for Selectica as long as middle management can let Leadership lead!

Selectica Response

Dec 12, 2014HR/Accountant

As you correctly indicated, prior to 18 months ago the company underwent a lot of change. Since then, in the last 12 months, the leadership team has been almost totally unchanged - except that we ... More

Selectica has been exceptional for me and provides daily excitement in a very hot and growing market space.

Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Every employee can and is encouraged/empowered to be able to make a direct impact to the company both personally and professionally.

Cons

Great product, great customers, wonderfully engaged employees now just need to continue to grow with high quality resources to keep up with the pace.

Keeping focus on the employees and the true key values the company has recently set forth upon.

Selectica Response

Dec 15, 2014HR/Accountant

Thanks so much for your comments. Our new Employee Council is prioritizing merging the values of Selectica and Iasta (now that we have merged the companies). Luckily, our values are so close already ... More

The Lazarus Effect

I have been working at Selectica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Huge opportunity for growth, ground floor opportunities now, work/life balance, Management committed to, and focused on, big picture goals, company still a size where one person can make a big difference. Good location without the stress of the city, excellent benefits.

Cons

Company growing and changing at breakneck speed, good and bad. Can be stressful, but good if you like a challenge. Location not good for some people.

Selectica is poised for great things

I have been working at Selectica full-time

Pros

New management team led by CEO Blaine Mathieu are confident, competent, focused and motivated. The company has taken solid steps over the last 8 months to get things back on track. Renewed focus on customer success, product innovation, and building a solid foundation for growth has been impressive. This is a place to work if you want to make an immediate impact while working with a great leadership team, a great staff and a great product suite.

Cons

Cleaning up the mistakes of the prior management team has taken some time. Most of the issues have been cleared up but there are a few more to work through. But there is a very bright light at the end of the tunnel!

Keep doing what you’ve been doing. All indications are that we are on a path to great things

Exceptional team, solutions, and vision!

Current Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA
    Current Employee - Vice President in San Mateo, CA

I have been working at Selectica full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Selectica is an outstanding place to work and I'm fully committed, as a member of a diverse and talented team, to help drive success for our current and future customers. I left Oracle in February 2014 to join Selectica ... and have no doubt it was the right decision. We are doing incredible things with contract management and configuration solutions for many of the biggest and most successful brands in the world across industries.

Cons

I can not think of any "cons" ... simply put, the current team is doing all the right things.

Keep up your exceptional leadership and execution.

The new Selectica is alive and well

I have been working at Selectica full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Company has a lengthy history but now appears to be on the right track (finally!). New management team and many new people in the last 9 months brang new focus and energy. The oldtimers that remain are dedicated and enthusiastic. Customers are finally happy again after being mostly ignored for a long time.

Cons

Company has just gone through a great deal of change. Result will be good but it can be bit chaotic. More like a startup than a 15 year old company. Good if you like that kind of environment. Otherwise, stay away.

Keep focused. Execute your plan. Communicate even more. Make the new Values more than posters on the wall.

Great Potential and Great People - Still Needs Work to Achieve Greatness

I have been working at Selectica full-time

Pros

- The work is definitely meaningful and you can make the instantaneous connection to both partners/clients and internally. Bottom line: your work makes a difference
    - The small size of employee's ensures that you can standout when possible
    - Yourself and other colleges wear multiple hats, therefore, even though people may be busy with their tasks, they would be more than happy to lend you a helping hand or assistance in your projects/questions
    - There is a small but noticeable sense of community between all the team-members which is definitely great
    - Good work/life balance most of the time
    - The ability to work from home at any point helps out quite a bit.

Cons

- There needs to be more Technical Folks on-shore to assist with issues
    - Load-balancing for workloads need to take place.
    - Need to hire more and tighten our sense of unity with fellow colleagues
    - There is opportunity for growth but it is not very apparent. No set structure or "ladder".

Feedback from different departments would help to flesh out some of the newer processes. Bi-weekly or monthly check's with individuals in the departments would also strengthen this idea and keep upper management in touch with others members of those departments.

Great team, atmosphere and location.

I have been working at Selectica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

All departments are very accessible and helpful. Everyone is really nice. Free gym access downstairs.

Cons

Small team (Could be a pro or con)

n/a

A challenging, rewarding, and fun experience. Feels like a startup.

I have been working at Selectica full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The best part about working at Selectica right now is the opportunity to create new products, messaging, marketing, code, culture... everything. Everyone who comes into the company right now has a clean slate to be as creative and aggressive as they want. Selectica is a company where each employee gets to choose their own path to success and is enabled to do so.

Cons

The San Mateo office is a major upgrade from the San Jose office, but it's still a bit old and creaky at times. The hectic pace and plans for growth make work stressful at times.

Communicate plans to the company more often and more transparently. Interface with employees and other departments more often.