Selective Insurance

Selective Insurance Chairman, President, and CEO Gregory E. Murphy

Gregory E. Murphy

Senior Application Developer

Senior Applications Developer (Current Employee)

ProsPay and bonus is good, free parking, and flexible work schedule.

ConsWork load is to large for small staff, causing priorities to be change daily and long hours. Application development done offshore is not reviewed by Selective IT employees. QA is also done offshore, so only acceptance testing is done by Selective employees which often is too late to be fixed before code goes into production. Top heavy with management that are out of touch with application developers. Newly hired managers are unqualified and don't bring much needed outside perspective. There is very little job growth, and training is rarely approved. IT application development staff has decreased even though number of managers has increased.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring managers and start hiring developers. Change offshore resources from managed services to staff augmentation, so IT can have more control over the quality.

Hard to get places

Service Center (Current Employee)
    Richmond, VA

ProsI really enjoy the people I work with every day. I feel the overall benefits are decent and management does try to make it fun

ConsThere really are not any opportunities for advancement at this location. Pay not commensurate with experience. Company is slow to change and accomplish things

Advice to Senior Managementwork to utilize the strengths of their employees

IT help desk

IT Help Desk (Former Employee)
    Jersey City, NJ

Prosgood benefits, good working hours

Conspoor management, lots of red tape to get things done

Advice to Senior Managementn/a

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

chaotic

Senior Applications Developer (Former Employee)
    Glastonbury, CT

Prosthe team members work really hard, some really smart and delightful folks to work with

Consmanagement had no real appreciation for what it took to deliver projects, there is no respect for peoples lives or family-time. Developers working 70+ hours a week under constant threat of outsourcing-"be lucky-you-have-a-job-we-can-get-2-of-you-in-india" was the view management has of employees. Customers losing ground

poor management skills

Glastonbury, CT

Prostoo much work, poor organization, poor management skills, too much stress, sometime you will need to work in the weekend.

Consflexible hours, free parking, bonus,

I Get It!

Branchville, NJ

ProsWorking with good people.
    Benefits are great compared to other similar companies

ConsToo much work for too few people
    Business is driven too much by IT not the business (i.e. IT V.P.'s routinely tell business units what to do)
    No growth potential.
    Very top heavy on security which makes it almost impossible to do anything.
    Senior Management doesn't listen, instead they cut you off and say "I Get It".

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, we do know what we are doing.
    Stop letting IT drive, instead tell IT what you must have and not accept a solution that doesn't meet your needs.

Intern

Intern (Former Employee)
    Charlotte, NC

ProsGreat people, really fun environment. Hard work typically recognized and rewarded.

ConsWorking off Johnston Rd. and I-485, that place was a nightmare.

Overall work given was manageable and was not too out of scope for any intern. Tasks were helpful in scope of learning.

IT Consultant (Former Employee)

ProsProvided necessary assistance.
    gave proper time to execute work given.
    Pay was good.
    The projects were helpful in enhancing any knowledge previously held .
    There was always a mentor given who was very helpful and precise in their work.
    Interns were allowed to partake in meetings( which regarded their project) with the head of the department, to get the full experience

ConsSometimes work was unavailable leaving idle time (considering time was almost 8 hours a day)

supportive environment for learning with competent management

Actuarial Assistant (Former Employee)

Prosfair compensation
    competent management
    able to balance work and life

Conslocation
    favoritism
    poor recognition structure
    small to none bonus

A strange mix of stuff going on here...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Branchville, NJ

ProsExcellent benefits, time off, bonuses and pay. A large, yet strangely designed building with a cafeteria, gym (at least when I was there), massage therapy and more. For people living in Northern New Jersey, a "reverse" commute. A large treasure chest of money behind the company. Financially sound. The company has enjoyed slow but steady growth for over 80 years. Very conservative in its investments, which has kept it financially well for so long.

The company also has a strong, dedicated agent network that keeps it well fed. They treat their agents well -- and will do almost anything for them.

ConsIn the middle of nowhere. You're inside, all day, no escape. The culture is odd -- it's a real "wannabe" big company, but very hickish in its thinking. Plus, I was part of a team that treated vendors very, very poorly. They promised vendors lots of work, but in reality, Selective is stingy with budgets. So, they get vendors to do considerable amounts of work for free or little money, with no intention of giving them any more, and thereby misleading them. To me, it was unethical.

The place is also extremely inefficient. LOADS of meetings -- sometimes for days at a time -- but very little achieved. Yet, they want to meet certain goals. Weird. A lot of wasted time that becomes quite frustrating.

The atmosphere is also politically very charged. You have to watch who you're friends with.

Outside of their agents and Sussex County, the company is vitually unknown... which will probably mean trouble for it in the future. They're up against household name companies like Alstate, Progressive, and others.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease, please... hire an efficiency expert! You have thousands of hours yearly going out the window on meetings, and meetings about meetings. Also, do a search and hire some people OUTSIDE the insurance industry -- the fresh blood with bring fresh perspectives. Also, spend some money on advertising. When I worked there, I had to constantly explain who I worked for to everyone.

Worked for Selective Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Selective Insurance reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Selective Insurance CEO Gregory E. Murphy. All 32 reviews posted anonymously by Selective Insurance employees.