Selective Insurance

Be The First To
Add Photos

Selective Insurance Chairman, President, and CEO Gregory E. Murphy

Gregory E. Murphy

Excellent potential to be a top tier company if expectations from sr. management were more reasonable.

ProsCompany has excellent products combined with knowledgeable staff in home office that provide true support in writing business profitably. Company offers a flexible working environment that encourages growth and development. Teamwork is valued and company has a very professional workplace. Company has a business model and structure that is respected by customers.

ConsExtremely high workloads. Any attempt to address this concern is seen as negative. Company has a great incentive compensation program, but every year makes it harder to benefit from the program, Long term employees see deterioration in work-life balance and a negative shift in sr. management attitude towards employees. Communication can be very poor at times and feedback on addressing problems is swept under the rug.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees, especially the long-term ones who are proven performers as they seek to restore work-life balance. Do not shoot the messenger or assume that everyone wants to work 60 hours a week in the pursuit of a higher position. Focus more on what can be lost when a good person leaves than how much more can be gained by adding a resource. Key positions are going to be harder to fill in the future if management continues to ignore this issue.

Disappointing

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Clifton, NJ

ProsFair salary, usually good annual bonuses, decent vacation time, fair health insurance benefits

ConsAntiquated clique setting, bad work/life balance, no loyalty to employees, poor technology. The company does employee surveys but doesn't address the most important issues identified in the surveys.

Advice to Senior ManagementBefore making any changes that affect an employee's daily business handling, do that change yourself to see if it's reasonable. Or, sit with an employee of that department to see if it's a reasonable addition to their workflow. Bring computer systems to current technology. Respect your employees more and listen to them, don't just pretend to.

It was a good place to work in terms of learning new things, but slow to change and managing people like it's 1985.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsYou were given real assignments and exposure to management. You felt like your job was pretty safe and no one was nipping at your heals to take it away from you. They were willing to pay for some of my graduate school work which i was grateful for. Health Benefits/401K were definitely top of the line.

ConsSalary was not even at market average, there was not much regard to the work/life balance. Was never given the opportunity to work from home, didn't even have a laptop which in 2013 is pretty unheard of.

Advice to Senior Managementsit in more on the day to day operations, do not perceive/assume financial success as the company is running on all cylinders. Update the culture for today's millennial working generation, they are not going to sit and wait for things to happen, they will leave.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Selective Insurance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsSize, reputation, coverages and employee experience

ConsToo many weekend hours and lack of available promotions

slow to move and poor narrow minded leadership

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Proscan't think of a single one. the list of cons is so long wouldn't matter anyway.

ConsCulture is schizophrenic. Leadership is horrible. No value in people except perhaps very few who never worked anywhere else.

Think again, I'm looking!

Claims (Current Employee)

ProsSalaries and benefits are decent. Mass hiring (due to mass employment changes).

ConsWork/life balance is serious issue. There is no employee loyalty, do not expect to be able to have a long career here with the current management.

Advice to Senior ManagementInconsistent and weak leadership. Rethink recent management changes as the negative impact is imminent. There is value in people and treating employees well. Expecting employees to work every weekend and every evening is not how loyalty is built. If you cannot put these hours in, you are in fear of your position. Be realistic with expectations given the tools at hand, sometimes it simply boils down to having good leadership and management skills. Leadership should create unity not internal conflict and fear. Customers realize impact of turnover and you are simply forgetting the human capital. Mass personnel changes will force good employees out, and new employees to notice the lack of loyalty. Respect careers that have been built and the impact that certain leaders are having on image of the company with current, incoming, and potential employees.

Well organized caring company

Safety Management Specialist (Former Employee) Lowell, MA

ProsAccepts employee feedback, consistently works to improve employee conditions

ConsLong meetings in Branchville, NJ

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct more frequent reviews with employees

I achieve continual growth with this company.

ProsThey encourage you to learn, take additional coursework, gain experience. Everyone is accessible in this company to talk and open to ideas.

ConsI wish they had a better claims system already in place and additional reps.

Good place to work salary is good but hours are long

Claims (Former Employee) Branchville, NJ

ProsSalary is very good, people are great, resources are abundant and the company is very employee involved. Management in very involved but this does not cause to much micro management.

ConsLong hours expected, not enough training supplied it is available for you to do on tour own but there are so many hours in the day. They tell you to keep a balance between work and family but this is very hard to accomplish.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore initial training upon being hiring, mentor or shadowing for new hires.

Horrible

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Horsham, PA

Prosvery few...terrible place to work

ConsThe office is cliquey, and training is a joke. There is a lot to learn with three days of training, that was sped through, and everyone seemed to be confused as to why you didn't know anything when you asked questions. It's a cut throat office. The manager has no idea what his employees are up to. It was unorganized. It was the worst job I ever stepped into. I would not work here. It was a waste of time. Very stressful.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep an eye on horsham pa office

Worked for Selective Insurance? Contribute to the Community!