Selective Insurance Reviews

41 reviews filtered by
2.6
Selective Insurance Chairman, President, and CEO Gregory E. Murphy
Gregory E. Murphy

1. Overall a very good company to work for with a great internal team to work with.

Current Employee - Business Analyst/Commercial Underwriter in Carmel, IN
    Current Employee - Business Analyst/Commercial Underwriter in Carmel, IN

I have been working at Selective Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Internal employees are great to work with. Management is beyond excellent and very supportive. The QA and review process is VERY fair, perfection is never expected and you are not "dinged" for little mistakes/oversights.

Cons

Our department (commercial underwriting) is not staffed well enough. The more experienced and knowledgeable underwriters are given very large territories as a means of servicing our best agency force. A positive that we're viewed that way and that management puts that much confidence in us. The downside is, we are in no way staffed well enough to have an adequate back-up system. If someone goes on vacation, or has to go on medical leave, we are not equipped to provide that great and timely customer service our agents expect. Gets frustrating on the agency side, which leads to frustration within the internal team. Under normal, fully staffed, times the average work week is 50-60 hours which does not create a good work-life balance.

Advice to Management

Staff department to balance territories and have an adequate back-up plan in place so when someone is out, they don't come back so far behind it takes weeks, sometimes longer, to get caught up.

2. Good company

I have been working at Selective Insurance

Pros

Claims is hard work at any company

Cons

None that I can think of at this time

I would not recommend.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Selective Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Pay check every two weekends. Some co workers are tolerable. Vacation days.

Cons

Very Competitive culture (watch your back) , bonus structure could be better, high school clique mentality, they careless about what you know more about who you know and how much of a brown noser you could be.

Advice to Management

Get off your high horse and talk to coworkers. People who should be promoted based on talent not on how much you "like" them and how much of a yes man you can be.

5. Better companies out there! Proceed with caution.Not a disgruntled employee

I have been working at Selective Insurance

Pros

Business casual dress, Vacation, some good employee, bonus okay,

Cons

Benefits, good old boy network, scare tactics in meetings plagued with boring jokes. You work very very very hard because you have to compete with larger competitors. Constant emails from HR about benefit changes. Everyone walks around very nervous or scared.

6. Great first year

I have been working at Selective Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement. Since I've been there I've seen multiple promotions.

Cons

I've experienced a very heavy workload, sometimes overwhelming.

The past three years have been on a steady decline of unhappiness

I have been working at Selective Insurance

Pros

Local and some what flexible but not consistent throughout the organization. It is a nice place to work but it depends on department and management.

Cons

Too many "old timers" working in management that don't know what it's like to work elsewhere. They don't force people that have been there since day one to evolve with times. They put too much pressure on overachievers and nothing on average workers. Workload is 3x more than it should be because they aren't up on technology. HR has leaks in it. Promotions aren't given as they should. It's a typical "it's not what you know" company. Stress and tension is very high.
    Flexibility should be everywhere.

Advice to Management

Most of you are there an shouldn't be. Take classes and educate yourselves..you really aren't that great. Appreciate your staff after all without them you would think be there.
    Don't take your stress out on your employees.. You get paid to deal with it.. They don't.

8. Overall very good company to work for.

I have been working at Selective Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Opportunities. Flexibility, especially for ability to work from home.

Cons

Too many middle mgmt layers.
    Over expectation for growth in the current market place.
    Lack of strong/effective training for new field staff employees.

Advice to Management

Spend more time talking to front line underwriters-inside and field staff.
    Try to keep your finger on the pulse of the foundation of what makes Selective, Selective. Great people make a great company.

Clearly disgruntled employees are leaving all the reviews

I have been working at Selective Insurance (more than 8 years)

Pros

I've been here nearly 10 years. I've held a number of positions during that time. I'm making pretty good money. I've always been able to find people willing to invest in me, especially in the regional offices. Co-workers have been great (with some exceptions which you will have anywhere). Great work flexibility which I really appreciate now that I have a family. As long as the work gets done, they don't seem to care if you work 6:30-2:30 or 10-6. That's not an exaggeration as I know people who work those hours at our corporate office. Regional offices won't be as flexible .

Cons

Production roles are demanding, but you can get up to a 40% bonus if celestial bodies align. I do agree that it seems harder to hit your goal every year. Management likes the BHAGs.

Advice to Management

Seems like every year or two there's a significant change driven by senior management (regional staffing, underwriting strategy, etc). There's no socialization before it comes down. Eventually reality comes in and the change is moderated or reversed. With regard to the underwriting side of the house, I think Sr Management would benefit from getting more feedback before instituting the change.

10. Excellent potential to be a top tier company if expectations from sr. management were more reasonable.

I have been working at Selective Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company has excellent products combined with knowledgeable staff in home office that provide true support in writing business profitably. Company offers a flexible working environment that encourages growth and development. Teamwork is valued and company has a very professional workplace. Company has a business model and structure that is respected by customers.

Cons

Extremely high workloads. Any attempt to address this concern is seen as negative. Company has a great incentive compensation program, but every year makes it harder to benefit from the program, Long term employees see deterioration in work-life balance and a negative shift in sr. management attitude towards employees. Communication can be very poor at times and feedback on addressing problems is swept under the rug.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, especially the long-term ones who are proven performers as they seek to restore work-life balance. Do not shoot the messenger or assume that everyone wants to work 60 hours a week in the pursuit of a higher position. Focus more on what can be lost when a good person leaves than how much more can be gained by adding a resource. Key positions are going to be harder to fill in the future if management continues to ignore this issue.

11. Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Selective Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Fair salary, usually good annual bonuses, decent vacation time, fair health insurance benefits

Cons

Antiquated clique setting, bad work/life balance, no loyalty to employees, poor technology. The company does employee surveys but doesn't address the most important issues identified in the surveys.

Advice to Management

Before making any changes that affect an employee's daily business handling, do that change yourself to see if it's reasonable. Or, sit with an employee of that department to see if it's a reasonable addition to their workflow. Bring computer systems to current technology. Respect your employees more and listen to them, don't just pretend to.