Selective Insurance

Updated August 28, 2014
2.5

Selective Insurance Chairman, President, and CEO Gregory E. Murphy
Gregory E. Murphy

Clearly disgruntled employees are leaving all the reviews

I have been working at Selective Insurance for more than 8 years

Pros

I've been here nearly 10 years. I've held a number of positions during that time. I'm making pretty good money. I've always been able to find people willing to invest in me, especially in the regional offices. Co-workers have been great (with some exceptions which you will have anywhere). Great work flexibility which I really appreciate now that I have a family. As long as the work gets done, they don't seem to care if you work 6:30-2:30 or 10-6. That's not an exaggeration as I know people who work those hours at our corporate office. Regional offices won't be as flexible .

Cons

Production roles are demanding, but you can get up to a 40% bonus if celestial bodies align. I do agree that it seems harder to hit your goal every year. Management likes the BHAGs.

Seems like every year or two there's a significant change driven by senior management (regional staffing, underwriting strategy, etc). There's no socialization before it comes down. Eventually reality comes in and the change is moderated or reversed. With regard to the underwriting side of the house, I think Sr Management would benefit from getting more feedback before instituting the change.

Excellent potential to be a top tier company if expectations from sr. management were more reasonable.

I have been working at Selective Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Company has excellent products combined with knowledgeable staff in home office that provide true support in writing business profitably. Company offers a flexible working environment that encourages growth and development. Teamwork is valued and company has a very professional workplace. Company has a business model and structure that is respected by customers.

Cons

Extremely high workloads. Any attempt to address this concern is seen as negative. Company has a great incentive compensation program, but every year makes it harder to benefit from the program, Long term employees see deterioration in work-life balance and a negative shift in sr. management attitude towards employees. Communication can be very poor at times and feedback on addressing problems is swept under the rug.

Listen to your employees, especially the long-term ones who are proven performers as they seek to restore work-life balance. Do not shoot the messenger or assume that everyone wants to work 60 hours a week in the pursuit of a higher position. Focus more on what can be lost when a good person leaves than how much more can be gained by adding a resource. Key positions are going to be harder to fill in the future if management continues to ignore this issue.

Disappointing

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Clifton, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Clifton, NJ

I worked at Selective Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fair salary, usually good annual bonuses, decent vacation time, fair health insurance benefits

Cons

Antiquated clique setting, bad work/life balance, no loyalty to employees, poor technology. The company does employee surveys but doesn't address the most important issues identified in the surveys.

Before making any changes that affect an employee's daily business handling, do that change yourself to see if it's reasonable. Or, sit with an employee of that department to see if it's a reasonable addition to their workflow. Bring computer systems to current technology. Respect your employees more and listen to them, don't just pretend to.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a good place to work in terms of learning new things, but slow to change and managing people like it's 1985.

I worked at Selective Insurance

Pros

You were given real assignments and exposure to management. You felt like your job was pretty safe and no one was nipping at your heals to take it away from you. They were willing to pay for some of my graduate school work which i was grateful for. Health Benefits/401K were definitely top of the line.

Cons

Salary was not even at market average, there was not much regard to the work/life balance. Was never given the opportunity to work from home, didn't even have a laptop which in 2013 is pretty unheard of.

sit in more on the day to day operations, do not perceive/assume financial success as the company is running on all cylinders. Update the culture for today's millennial working generation, they are not going to sit and wait for things to happen, they will leave.

Be Cautious..

Current Employee - Underwriter  in  Branchville, NJ
    Current Employee - Underwriter in Branchville, NJ

I have been working at Selective Insurance for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is scared to be trail blazers.

Cons

Everyone is scared in the company

Be more encouragning

Selective Insurance

I worked at Selective Insurance

Pros

Size, reputation, coverages and employee experience

Cons

Too many weekend hours and lack of available promotions

slow to move and poor narrow minded leadership

I worked at Selective Insurance full-time

Pros

can't think of a single one. the list of cons is so long wouldn't matter anyway.

Cons

Culture is schizophrenic. Leadership is horrible. No value in people except perhaps very few who never worked anywhere else.

Think again, I'm looking!

Current Employee - Claims
    Current Employee - Claims

I have been working at Selective Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Salaries and benefits are decent. Mass hiring (due to mass employment changes).

Cons

Work/life balance is serious issue. There is no employee loyalty, do not expect to be able to have a long career here with the current management.

Inconsistent and weak leadership. Rethink recent management changes as the negative impact is imminent. There is value in people and treating employees well. Expecting employees to work every weekend and every evening is not how loyalty is built. If you cannot put these hours in, you are in fear of your position. Be realistic with expectations given the tools at hand, sometimes it simply boils down to having good leadership and management skills. Leadership should create unity not internal conflict and fear. Customers realize impact of turnover and you are simply forgetting the human capital. Mass personnel changes will force good employees out, and new employees to notice the lack of loyalty. Respect careers that have been built and the impact that certain leaders are having on image of the company with current, incoming, and potential employees.

Well organized caring company

Former Employee - Safety Management Specialist  in  Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Safety Management Specialist in Lowell, MA

I worked at Selective Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Accepts employee feedback, consistently works to improve employee conditions

Cons

Long meetings in Branchville, NJ

Conduct more frequent reviews with employees

I achieve continual growth with this company.

I have been working at Selective Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

They encourage you to learn, take additional coursework, gain experience. Everyone is accessible in this company to talk and open to ideas.

Cons

I wish they had a better claims system already in place and additional reps.

Worked for Selective Insurance? Contribute to the Community!