SemanticBits

9 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very nice place to work

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I worked at SemanticBits full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very well organized company right from my beginning, basically everything happened so fast, they brought me on the board from Europe within a month or so, preparing and shipping all H1B papers and instructions to me. They were about to move to a new office when I arrived, the new place was exciting, very convenient location, spacious and well maintained facility, they are still there. Met a lot of great and smart folks. I liked the projects I have been assigned to, working on Healthcare ideas is something I enjoy the most even today.
    The company is open to a decent range of technologies, developers at any level have a very good learning opportunity. Green Card sponsorship is available, flexible hours, paid IT trainings and certifications.

I owe many many thanks to most of the people I met there but I just wanna point a few as being the greatest.

Vinay Kumar (COO) - great guy, assisted me with the integration, he is also an amazing techincal dude, I worked with him on a couple of projects which gave me the opportunity to take some leadership on certain things, also thanks to Vinay I improved my personal library with great IT books.

Ram Chilukuri (CEO) - very smart and intelligent, he assisted me to establish and mentain a great relationship with the immigration attorney to ultimately have a very successfull Green Card processing case, thanks a lot.

Paul Baumgartner (Project manager) - amazing and great listener, great mentor, he was the first to ping when I had any kind of issues, Paul did a great job educating me to better understand the new culture I met. I would love to have him as my project manager again, I enjoyed all the scrums he was running.

Biju Joseph (Tech lead) - The best tech lead and teacher I have ever met, he is just a super IT brain.

Denis Krylov (Principal Engineer) - Sharp and smart developer, every minute talking to him about technologies is worth a million, hard working guy, I heard other collegues talking about Denis as "one man army", the way and the speed he was handling all the tasks and issues on the projects was something very different, everybody want Denis on their projects.

With all the people I mentioned above - you are in the right place.

Cons

At the time I was working for Semanticbits I remember a few gov projects, which in my opinion is a little sensitive, I think more non-gov projects would make everybody working for them feel much better.

Keep up the great mood and support for your army.

Successful and friendly environment but a bit unorganized.

Former Employee - Lead UI Designer in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Lead UI Designer in Herndon, VA

I worked at SemanticBits as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Nice friendly folks, made friends quickly
    Free snacks and drinks
    Challenging work and keeps up with the times
    Small group if that's what you like
    Telecommute potentially
    Pretty decent pay

Cons

Long commute to the Dulles/Herndon area
    A bit isolated in terms if food, stores, etc. have to drive a little bit.
    Personally, communication wasn't always good in my experience

OK Company for a short term job

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at SemanticBits full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice office, convenient location, professional trainings and certifications reimbursement (most of the times - at management discretion), happy hour every month.

Cons

Limited technologies for healthcare projects, people are appreciated only if they work overtime, evenings and weekends and are replying to management emails and chats no matter what time of the day or night it is. Most of the projects are gov funded which makes everybody vulnerable at any government weird event.

People are your value - do more for them. Get non-gov funded projects.

Excellent people to surround yourself with & Undoubtedly a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at SemanticBits full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I have been in this company for close to 5 years now. Its very disheartening to see some of the comments written here about the company in which I work. It's more from disgruntled employees or for some the grapes are sour. Just venting out your ire anonymously won't help. I am not saying Semanticbits is the best company, but it definitely is not mediocre or the way some of my current or ex colleagues have written.

Here is my UN-biased opinion.

* Ram Chilukuri our CEO, strongly believes in making a difference in every employee's life.

* Excellent working environment with really smart and knowledgeable people. Great Opportunity to learn new technologies and enhance your skills. Its the perfect company for learning & grooming. I would like to call it a "Budding Developers Paradise" & i am sure Senior folks will enjoy the freedom and challenges.

* Freedom to be yourself and go wild as far as your creativity & innovation is concerned.

* At Semanticbits we follow very well know & latest engineering practices. I can confidently say we have a inclination towards latest & greatest.

* Appraisal is yearly. AFAIK, employees have had pay raises every year for the past 4 years. There are no bonuses like in financial companies. NOTE: We all know, that the best time for Salary negotiation is at the time of joining. Once you are in, there will be no Salary adjustment. So do your research and negotiate right before you join ANY company.

* Certifications & Trainings in the line of work are eligible for re-reimbursement. These have to be self-initiated and discussed as part of growth plan during annual review meetings.

* Semanticbits strongly believes in co-located teams. Working remotely for longer durations (more than a day or two) is usually discouraged. But on a case by case basis, i have seen employee's with pressing needs/reasons being approved to work remotely for as long as a week.

* Company annual party is held during the month of October. Loads of eating, drinking & dancing. We also have a rewards ceremony, where in, outstanding performers are awarded and rewarded in front of family members, friends & colleagues.

* Happy hour twice a month. If that gets boring the whole company goes Bowling. If Bowling gets boring anybody is free to suggest what they like to do. If it is feasible, it will definitely be organized.

Cons

* Appraisal system needs a re-haul. Seniors in the company have been asked to provide feedback in this area of concern. I personally feel that this area of concern will be addressed pretty soon.

* Growth is another area of concern. Company needs to grow in-order for people in the company to grow. When this is the case "Patience is precious", if you are keen about growth.

* Mentoring skills have to be honed. There are highly skilled people at Semanticbits & there is a lot of potential for mentoring.

Need to better communicate the vision and progress being made towards that vision, more accountability needs to be put in place so that individuals can direct action towards the vision & stretch the organization to perform exceptionally.

There are better options, think again before you join.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at SemanticBits full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

a. Chance to work on relatively new technologies like Hibernate, Spring and Grails.
    b. People leaving here are in top class firms with better benefits.

Cons

There are many, but the key items are
     a. There is no proper vision and business model.
     b. There is no specific salary structure some "pets of the CEO" are getting 120K, where a normal Software Engineer is stuck on 80K for the past 2 years. (Do a search on http://www.flcdatacenter.com/) to confirm what I am saying.
     c. No proper salary review, the management really do not care about employee growth and employee benefits are very less compared to industry standards.
     d. Lack of HR process, you need to take care of yourself, like if you want to renew H1, you have to remember it and go behind the company lawyer, and have to pay for H4 extensions.

Please try to change your attitude, otherwise you will loose the key talented people on board.

I have gotten to work with extremely talented people on interesting projects while growing my skills.

Current Employee - Vice President of Biomedical Informatics in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Vice President of Biomedical Informatics in Herndon, VA

I have been working at SemanticBits

Pros

SemanticBits employs highly talented, self-motivated people. There is ample opportunity to learn new technologies and enhance skills. Furthermore, the weekly happy hours and yearly parties allow us to grow together as a team, while the structured team and Agile development structure provide for an environment where skills are appreciated. Employees that perform well seem to get excellent raises whereas the review process allows employees to get feedback when they are not meeting expectations.

Cons

Project scope and schedule can be aggressive, and we are often pushing new releases out regularly. Our clients can change their focus rapidly, requiring us to retool and rework.

A better developed employee handbook would be useful. Often project managers can be different than our official supervisor, which can be confusing at times.

Senior Software Enginner

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Herndon, VA

I have been working at SemanticBits full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Highly talented people with cutting edge technologies. You got full freedom to design best solution. Always working on latest technologies. No politics

Cons

Only Salary. No profit sharing, no bonuses..nothing..not much growth....

Management has no well defined policies. . So they may allow one person to work from home but not to other.

Have some well defined policies..
    Start motivating people and share some profit with them..People cannot work for years without any growth.

A diverse experience where you get opportunity to work on lots of different things

I worked at SemanticBits

Pros

People are very smart and intelligent, senior management is approachable, work hours are flexible, use of latest technologies and open source platform

Cons

Low salary compared to industry norms, work is not very challenging, review process is very adhoc, management is always breathing down your neck

Try to spend some money, try to expand aggressively and find projects beyond NCI and NIH, put some formal processes in place to review employee performance

Learning

I worked at SemanticBits

Pros

SemanticBits is a small company which is growing very rapidy. The people there were really smart and knowledgable. It was a very good learning experience.

Cons

The management of the company needs to start focussing more on generating the business instead of trying to manage day to day work