Seminole County Public Schools

Updated Jun 27, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Bill Vogel

Good job, but teachers are treated as though they are incompentant

Classroom Teacher (Current Employee) Winter Springs, FL

ProsTeaching is a rewarding career, and administration does their best to allow you to do your job; unfortunately that battle is impossible to win.

ConsUnfortunately, the DOE feels that its a good idea to change everything every few years. Usually, you spend years getting professional development for some new way of teaching, and then in a few years that idea is scrapped and you get to learn about another new and revolutionary method. You will be required to adhere to a specific teaching strategy one year only to have that method disappear the next.

Advice to Senior ManagementDo everything in your power to allow teachers to do their job without being stressed to follow all the DOE guidelines!

I left.

Classroom Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsThe kids. Always, the kids.

ConsOverloaded electives classrooms. 40+ in every class and NO funding. Marzano BS is a PITA until you realize the hoops they're asking you to jump through are the same as the last set, only painted differently this time, and they're waving them around a bit more. It's all BS. Don't let it stop you from doing what you're really there for, and that's teaching and helping the kids. Also, most admins hate the Marzano crap just as much as you will, but they can't say anything about it, and neither can you because of the culture of silence. You can't criticize the system without making yourself vulnerable. You're supposed to smile and pretend the emperor has clothes on. Finally, the health insurance is crap. $2,500 deductible, copays, and then you're responsible for 20% of the total, with no catastrophic insurance offered. So if you land yourself in the hospital for anything, you're screwed. In debt forever, 'cause you won't make enough on a teacher's salary (until you've been there 25 years and you're about to retire) to pay the regular bills, much less to pay medical.

Advice to Senior ManagementFund the electives and keep class sizes the same as the core subjects. The kids and parents are noticing what you're doing, and it's disgraceful. They know you don't have to do it, and so do the teachers. You're driving quality away.

I'm outta here, ASAP!

Classroom Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsLove the kids, love the work environment (my classroom), love the vacations (I work 10 months), love the hours (those spent in school, that is), love the regularity and dependability of the pay, love the administration, love the support personnel.

ConsI teach an elective and have more than double the students than the "core" classes have (they have to be small because of the state's constitutional amendment on limiting class sizes). I'm paying out of my pocket for things I need in class because the county doesn't fund my classes. I feel my subject area is undervalued, I feel I am undervalued. And I'm definitely overworked. The amount of useless paperwork I have to complete is a travesty. The county burdens us so badly with bureaucratic paperwork that we don't have time to do it all in school. I spend 4+ hours per day working at home, 6 days a week and often come in early and stay late. My homelife is suffering, and I have no time for anything else but school.

The county treats us like we're doing a bad job, telling us we have to change our ways--even though we work at a school the state has rated "A+" for years.

I'm quitting as soon as I find a job that pays at least as much, which shouldn't be hard. I'll miss the kids, but I won't miss struggling to try to serve the kids as I know they should be and failing miserably because the system is so broken.

Advice to Senior ManagementI don't have any advice, because nothing short of ripping it apart and building it back up in imitation of a country like Finland will save it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It was a great experience.

Substitute Teacher (Former Employee) Lake Mary, FL

ProsThey are very prompt and accurate.

ConsThere were not enough hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake previous employees as a priority when it comes to being recertified as sub.

My experience with Seminole County Public Schools was a great experience.

Principal/Dean Secretary (Former Employee) Sanford, FL

ProsSome of the best reasons to work with Seminole County Public Schools is the opportunity for career growth, benefits and salaries.

ConsThey only downside of the Seminole County Public Schools is that once you leave, for whatever the reason may be; you are not allow re-employment, even though you had professional annual reviews.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice would be to the Board Members of the Seminole County School System. Get to know your employees and their productivity while employed within your school system. Review their personnel file before making a genralize decision on not allow them a second chance of employment within the Seminole County Schools District.

driver

Driver (Former Employee) Oviedo, FL

Proslots of time home week ends holidays

Consno money pay is low and lots of responsabilitis

Advice to Senior Managementgood job

District Office managers and many principals show disrespect towards teachers.

Teacher (Current Employee)

ProsThe arts are offered in most schools.

ConsLow teacher salary compared to other districts; teachers treated poorly; hostile workplace; schools becoming test-prep environments; students over-tested and unfairly penalized. This district is run by uptight, anti-teacher, pro data people. Schools also cover up the number of crimes/thefts going on. The schools/district are a reflection of the community....detached, uptight, image oriented, dysfunctional within.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop promoting former PE coaches who think management is a numbers/points game. Support and respect your hardworking teachers...treat them like human beings.

Time to get out of education.

(Current Employee)

ProsIf you love teaching you will enjoy teaching children (those that want to learn and have been parented well).

ConsThere are just too many kids and parents that do not care about education and parenting. Bosses and legislation focus only on test scores. The disorganization of the entire public school system is pathetic! They can't get any information straight and they mess up A LOT at the county office. The reason most teachers stay in this job is because they can't find anything else right now.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire some people who will actually do something in the county office. Hire administrative positions in schools that stand behind their teachers not just their students. Admin does not listen to or have any respect for the teachers. Admin's heads get big and they soon forget their old days of being a teacher and just want to try to undermine you and criticize.

Not like it used to be!

ProsThe kids, I love what I do!

ConsIn general there are always going to be bad teachers that reflect negatively in the community, bad administrators that don't have a life outside of school/work and worse yet, parents that don't care about their kid(s). The government isn't much of a help either. It's an election year and the state wants to give us a raise? Thought the state didn't have the resources for teacher raises.

Professional, highly talented educators and dedicated paraprofessionals.

Interventionist (Current Employee) Lake Mary, FL

ProsI worked at Crystal Lake Elementary school. Jo LeBlanc, Principal, is a competent leader who really cares about her staff. SCPS puts family first.

ConsCLES is running out of room. The school isn't very old and is maxed out on students and room.

Worked for Seminole County Public Schools? Contribute to the Community!