Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida

Updated February 25, 2015
Updated February 25, 2015
2.7

CEO

I am a vastly experienced teacher with fantastic ability to turn any child around!

Former Employee - Services in Jacksonville, FL
    Former Employee - Services in Jacksonville, FL

I worked at Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Excellent corporate experience,office culture and lots more

Cons

Constant self development to be able to assert oneself on the job

Things change

I worked at Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida

Pros

Great training and great equipment.

Cons

Poor management. They are completely out of touch with the personnel on the streets.

Rethink who gets promoted and why.

Promising opportunity turned sour...

I worked at Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida

Pros

Salary is decent, but benefits/insurance package is expensive. Other than that, nothing much else to think of for this agency...

Cons

Corrections Department. I left an already decent career to join what I thought was a promising opportunity. I was dead wrong. Department bad mouths other agencies but hides their own problems such as dishonest employees. Unprofessional. Spent two days in orientation hearing upper management promoting "change" needed.They specified that we, the new employees, are the change to wipe out the negativity in the facility. If they are the best agency to work for, what's with all of this "change" needed for? Why are they continuously hiring for such a small facility? They are not growing anymore and promotions are slow. This is just another jail, not a better jail that they claim. They are just different, but definitely not better. Worst career change and decision I have ever made. God awful...

Upper management wants change, but lower management does not. Lower management runs the show here. Period.

Deputy Sheriff

I worked at Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida

Pros

Great benefits package, high morale

Cons

Pay is not as good as being a cop can be, but it is on par within Central Florida. You would have to move to south Florida or Tampa area to make high end of potential pay.

Great leadership, management very approachable and friendly

If you like to be browbeat, harassed, demeaned and made to feel incompetent, this is the place for you.

I worked at Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida full-time

Pros

Health benefits are on par with other government agencies

Cons

The Corrections facility at SCSO allows racism and discrimination to run unchecked, even after bringing it to their attention. Myself being the target of this during my employment there, I have never felt so abused in my career. There is a fear that runs amongst the employees in the facility that everyone speaks under their breath and behind their hand when voicing any criticism of the powers that be. It is very sad how many people have spoken to me about their own dislike of this problem, but fear for their job should they try to do anything about it by actually saying something. Very depressing environment indeed. It just isn't worth it.

Get real about the situation there, or end up getting sued for discrimination.

Best Sheriff's Office in Florida

Current Employee - Deputy, Supervisor
    Current Employee - Deputy, Supervisor

I have been working at Seminole County Sheriff - Sanford, Florida

Pros

You will be treated right at the Sheriff's Office. If you work hard and try and make things better you will be rewarded. This Sheriff's office is modern, the equipment is top notch, and the method of policing is an example for the nation. The current Sheriff really cares about his Deputies and non-sworn employees.

Cons

It is a smaller agency so there are limited opportunities to work in specialty units. Promotions can also be limited by the size of the department. The pay is on the low side compared other counties, but pay is not everything the way you are treated counts for much more.

A pay scale of some type.