Seminole State College Reviews

CEO

1. Adjunct Computer Insturctor

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Patterson, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Patterson, CA

I have been working at Seminole State College (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility to teach in campus and or online

Cons

Travelling long distance between campuses when assigned classes

2. Instructional Support Specialist

Former Employee - Instructional Support Specialist in Oviedo, FL
    Former Employee - Instructional Support Specialist in Oviedo, FL

I worked at Seminole State College part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The main benefit to this position is the flexible schedule. After the first term I was able to set my own hours within the operating hours of the center and total allowed for the position. I worked there for four years mainly because of the professional atmosphere and positive relationships I developed with my colleagues. I was also able to work on a second degree while at the job as long as I kept up with my responsibilities.

Cons

I would have stayed longer except the position offers no movement or growth. It is what it is: a part-time role without benefits. While one could certainly watch for other positions to open within the college and apply to those, no opportunity for full-time status exits within this role. Sometimes the college would limit the amount of hours ISS could work due to budgeting, which was a detractor for me as well.

3. Tons of Opportunity

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant

I worked at Seminole State College full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Clear and fair performance reviews
    Professional yet relaxed environment
    Healthcare Programs and Early Childhood Education are fantastic
    Strong sense of community
    Very accommodating to staff

Cons

Typical issues within all companies, people who carry out daily tasks do not get enough input on policies that govern these tasks.
    Can sometimes feel like staff vs. faculty

Advice to Management

Embrace technology, weigh staff and faculty input equally.

5. Great position, great staff and great training.

Former Contractor - Student Services Assistant in Sanford, FL
    Former Contractor - Student Services Assistant in Sanford, FL

I worked at Seminole State College as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I encountered was always very pleasant, always willing to help and give advice. As a temporary employee it was a great experience being a part of the team in the Student Services. Wish at the time they were hiring for the position I was assigned to do.

Cons

Very fast paced environment. Had to always make sure each person was taken care of on a timely basis. It was a pleasure making sure everyone was being helped.

Advice to Management

No advice the managers I encountered was great and always keep things going.

A place to change lives

I worked at Seminole State College full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Seeing the impact of your efforts on the success of students touched by Seminole State

Cons

A highly political environment (internal politics as well as state) that makes decision making very cumbersome.

Advice to Management

Please reduce the number of layers of management that have been added in the last couple of years.

7. The best job I ever had if you don't count pay.

Former Intern - TEACHERS ASSISTANT in Sanford, FL
    Former Intern - TEACHERS ASSISTANT in Sanford, FL

I worked at Seminole State College as an intern (More than 3 years)

Pros

I loved working in the film department as a teachers assistant. Total creative freedom to work what you wanted. Working on great projects. The instructor was an award winning documentary film maker. He made his views known but never forced them on you. Helping students with something they are passionate about.

Cons

Very low hours and pay. It was hard to get more then 20 hours a month. I was hopping to become a professor myself but the opportunity never became available.

8. Unsatisfactory

Current Employee - Professor in Sanford, FL
    Current Employee - Professor in Sanford, FL

I have been working at Seminole State College

Pros

It's a job and a paycheck.

Cons

No opportunity for movement up

Advice to Management

Stop watching the bottom line and start observing the value of your human capital.

9. Great place to work, especially in IT

I worked at Seminole State College

Pros

IT department is one of the best areas to work for because of dedication of management.

Cons

Salary needs to be more competitive.

Advice to Management

Management is great

10. Seminole State College, Sanford/Lake Mary

I worked at Seminole State College

Pros

I met some of the most wonderful people that I will be friends with forever.

Cons

The management at Seminole State is reactive instead of proactive. My boss had worked at Seminole for 10-15 years and did not know any policies; thus when we needed procedures for our department she was incapable or creating structure and efficiency for the work environment. It was a very disorganized and unhealthy work environment. She would have 3 or 4 parties a week, but the opportunity to do a meaningful days work never occurred. The number of personal issues discussed on a daily basis interferes with work productivity. It is a very emotional environment where the bosses believe that they come to work to mother those with emotional issues and people that want to work are penalized for doing a good job.

Advice to Management

Stop employing people from the local area only. Employ managers who understand that they must lead and manage - the two are not mutually exclusive. Open true doors of communication and know that because people disagree with you, this is not grounds for termination.
    There also should be reviewing of department heads (management) and the appraisals should be based on work not ethereal, subjective ideas, but concrete productive work actions.
    Gossip about co-workers should not be used in the yearly evaluation either. The Employee Relations is a joke. This department just lets HR know that someone has a problem with their boss, but there are no forms of help to assist and mediate issues.

11. Great place to work

I worked at Seminole State College

Pros

- The people. I was sad to leave because i would miss the people and the students.

Cons

Procedures change often and that information not always quickly disseminated

RSS Feed </> Embed