Sempra Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sempra Energy CEO Debra Reed

Debra Reed

Pros
  • Great people, great benefits, good work/life balance(in 4 reviews)

• You can't beat working at the headquarters in downtown San Diego(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sempra is a big company so it is easy to get lost in the shuffle(in 3 reviews)

Good company, hard to move up

Financial Analyst (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat people who are very friendly and more than willing to help you learn.
    Interesting work in a dynamic industry.
    Great work/life balance.
    San Diego.

ConsVery bureaucratic culture, the company is very risk averse so they do not act on many opportunities.
    Very hard to move up, HR has very strict guidelines for promotions which are based more on tenure than ability (at least at the lower levels).

Advice to Senior ManagementBe much more clear in the strategic direction of the company. Being open to anything makes it much harder for employees to know which types of opportunities to be looking for.

Great Location, Too Corporate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsYou can't beat working at the headquarters in downtown San Diego. The pay is competitive and bonuses are supposedley among the best in the industry (for unregulated/Global Enterprises entities).

ConsThis is a huge corporation... very beurocratic and departmentalized. If you do not enjoy the position you are in you may be in trouble. This is the kind of place where you can end up feeling pigeonholed.

Advice to Senior ManagementEncourage cross-departmental training. Inspire employees to care about and to learn more about the business. Provide more opportunity for employees to grow and progress.

I wish it would have been different

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSome departments were wonderful and people were loyal, dedicated and worked for several years until retirement. I think that's how it is for most of Sempra and I would love to work there again, just in another department

ConsInternal department politics played into how I felt about my experience at Sempra.

Advice to Senior ManagementEnsure that hiring decisions are made in an environment that welcomes an outside candidate into a healthy department and into a healthy team. The new hire is empowered to use their experience and knowledge that made them qualified to work there in the first place.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slow, conservative, stable company

Staff Accountant II (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsThis company is great in that it is very stable. During the economic downturn there were no lay-offs and some employees actually received raises. The benefits package is also great having medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K, and a defined contribution pension. There is also a yearly bonus which ranges between 10 and 23 percent based on personal performance and company performance.

ConsThis company is slow to promote employees. This is compounded by the fact that most employees never leave. Many employees have been with the company for over 20 years. There are also some poor managers within the company. The culture of the company seems to assume that if a person masters an area of expertise they will make a great manager and that is often not the case.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers should be scroutinized more closely. If there seems to be a high turn-over rate within a department/organization there is probably a leadership problem within that organization. Also, consider soliciting ideas from younger employees in ways to improve the technology utilized by overhead personnel. Many things are done in highly inefficient ways because more senior employees are unwilling to change or are not willing to utilize newer, more productive and efficient technologies.

Pretty much very very normal

Communications Manager (Current Employee) Corona de Tucson, AZ

ProsIt's a cool environment, you don't work too hard and the salary is OK. Overall a good job. And the girls are hot.

ConsThe colleagues sometimes are rather mean and the environment is too conservative, therefore I don't really feel good sometimes but it's OK

Advice to Senior ManagementThey should just try to be more liberal and be less Republican and understand that some employees are Democrats and proud

Not bad based on what I've seen.

Intern (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsIf you live in San Diego, then this is one of the few corporations that have an HQ there.

ConsHard to progress as fast as if you worked for financial services/adivising/consulting and then jumped into industry.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would say that they are doing an OK job.

Senior management completely out of touch with reality

Communications (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe pay is high and generally it's a stable, secure place to work.

ConsSenior management is completely out of touch with the employees. It's extremely hierarchial and senior management won't interact with anyone that's not at their level. The division between the employees and management is further exasperated by the fact that they have drivers, executive chefs and most don't even ride the elevators with employees. The company is in the middle of a reputation management initiative to improve their reputation with the community, employees and others and the whole thing is a joke because senior managment doesn't even care about it.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to employees, recognize their hard work and share information!

Good People, High Standards.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsExc. benefits and in general excellent caliber of top management

ConsDifficult to move around to new or more challenging assignments or positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen corporate culture of maintaining strict heirachial lines of communication. Don't frown on Jr. employee of one org. within Sempra talking to manager or director of another org., as was the case during my time there. Once, IT Director reported me to my manager because I sent him an email asking a question as to best resource in his org. to get something accomplished. I was chastized for it.

does someone smell gas?

Master of Puppetts (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsThe money can hardly be beaten if you are one of the chosen ones. If you are not, you will watch the rich get richer, and the poor suck off the rich at the christmas parties to get richer. If you are at the bottom and dont do "favors" you might just want to get out of there.

Consdirty company with dirty politics and gross mismatches in pay. the company has the personality of drywall. if you stay there more than 10 years you will likely want to off yourself for wasting so much of your life selling something you cant even see.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep riding that wave

Sempra, a great company to work for

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI have worked at Sempra Energy for four years and feel that it is a great company to work for. The best reason to work for Sempra are simply the people that work there. Everyone is smart and people work together to get the best out of one another. Another great reason to work at Sempra are the benefits that the company has to offer. Sempra gives a substantial bonus that can range between ten to twentry percent based on performance. Sempra is also one of the few companies that offers a 401k match and pension plan. The company also has great medical benefits.

ConsSempra is a big company so it is easy to get lost in the shuffle.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are doing a great job

Worked for Sempra Energy? Contribute to the Community!