Sempra Energy

Be The First To
Add Photos

Sempra Energy CEO Debra Reed

Debra Reed

Pros
  • Great people, great benefits, good work/life balance(in 4 reviews)

• You can't beat working at the headquarters in downtown San Diego(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sempra is a big company so it is easy to get lost in the shuffle(in 3 reviews)

Great place to learn. Not a great place to advance.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

Pros1. The pay is good
    2. The work is challenging (never bored)
    3. Professional development is encouraged through education opportunities and training
    4. Job is secure, very stable company. Also very ethical, don't have to worry about an Enron situation

Cons1. Very old school mentality in terms of work-life balance:
         a. Face time is important
         b. If you're leaving at 5, you're not considered a good employee (even if you're working from home at night)
         c. Don't even think about a part-time schedule
    2. Getting promoted is difficult. You never really know when you will get promoted. It's like a dangling carrot that nobody tells you how to get.
    3. Lots of work, not enough people (varies between groups). Lost a few employees to other companies and they were just replaced with contractors (who charge by the hour, so not the most efficient).

Good place to work, hard to move up.

Accounting Manager (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsGreat people, great benefits, good work/life balance. Well resourced

ConsHard to move up. Management needs to be more communicative regarding career advancement.

Not What i thought would be like working Here!!

Senior Software Developer Contract (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsI can't say much about reasons to work here unless the team and team members and manager you are assigned to are interacting with you about work and also how you are doing?

ConsThe team i was assigned had very poor project management, they just take their resources for granted. Even after letting them know of your concerns they are still at their own things not even bothering about your issue. And i thought managers were supposed to be good with their team or at least formally introduce themselves. Which in my case was not so. And Wanted to share a particular thing about this team member i was working with, who by the way is one of the most rude and unprofessional people i have come across. All they wanted is just to work according to their norms and not even bothered about our inputs. I would warn people about this person.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease interact with each and everyone of your employee, be it your own or a contractor. If not you are going to get a lot of negative remarks.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to work for in San Diego.

ProsVoted best most ethical company.

ConsExcellent opportunities to develop your skills.

Great internship.

Accounting/Finance Intern (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsInternship program is very organized. Team building activities and rotational program allows you to meet and see various people/job functions throughout the company.

ConsSlow career progress - raises and promotions mostly given based on time at the company. Given the size of the company politics and luck of timing will likely play a large role in career success.

Paying long...not high

Software Developer (Contract) (Former Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsRetirement plan, stability, work flexibility

ConsLow pay, a lot of politics

Advice to Senior ManagementStart innovating!

Stable and secure. One of the best San Diego places to work.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsSolid. Interesting work. Not the dull public utility type work you would expect but forefront, top thinking work. Compensation on par. 2-weeks off plus holidays. Depending on your particular manager, time can be flexible.

ConsGetting ahead depends on who you know and timing more than on performance. Variable pay portion tied to sometimes factors outside of your control which is frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it going. I feel Sr Mgmt does a great job here. Be more open to promoting from within the company but maybe other disciplines - don't just promote the next guy in line.

Great company to work for

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAwesome engineering internship program full of exposure to the company.
    Hands on experience working on real projects.
    Provided many opportunities to network with various executives and departments.

ConsMake sure not to get to caught up in your own work, and learn about the other aspects of the company.

IT Intern

IT Intern (Former Employee) San Diego, CA

ProsVery solid, established company going in many different directions means lots of diverse opportunities within one company; pays well

ConsThe Internship wasn't well planned out and there's somewhat of a bureaucracy to deal with

Advice to Senior Managementchallenge future IT interns, that's what we're there for!

Many challenges dealing with regulations and bureaucracy, but equally rewarding.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPromotes diversity, very challenging work, stable, compensation

ConsBureaucracy, can be difficult to advance.

Worked for Sempra Energy? Contribute to the Community!