Sempra Energy Reviews

Updated July 29, 2014
3.8

Sempra Energy CEO Debra Reed
Debra Reed

Pros
  • Great people, great benefits, good work/life balance (in 4 reviews)

• You can't beat working at the headquarters in downtown San Diego (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Sempra is a big company so it is easy to get lost in the shuffle (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

DISHONEST MANAGEMENT WITH UNETHICAL LAWYERS TO BACK THEM

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Sempra Energy

Pros

Above the market salaries
    The benefits and perks
    Incredible bonuses
    Little work and a lot of Play
    If you are exempt then you have a potential opportunity to achieve a promotion to a higher career position.
    Very generous with supplies and tools to do the job.

Cons

If you are hourly, then you will never be able to obtain a promotion or a transfer.
    Management will undermine you when you attempt to obtain another position.
    There is no confidentiality with upper management and especially Human Resources.
    If you are a happy person then management will look for ways to bring you down - like accuse you of a wrongful thing.

Upper management is encourage to say "I don't remember;" instead of flat out lying.
    Company is big on relaliation and they encourage it via their lawyers

Be Fair
    Be Honest
    Don't be Jealous or envious of your staff members
    Remember you are making 100% more than your employees, cut them a break.
    When Upper Management celebrates the success that the staff members created, give them credit for it; instead of accepting all the credit and bonus pay for it. Also when you guys celebrate with liquor in the first level cafe and auditoriums during work hours; please consider allowing the actual workers to go home early.

Good company, hard to move up

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sempra Energy

Pros

Great people who are very friendly and more than willing to help you learn.
    Interesting work in a dynamic industry.
    Great work/life balance.
    San Diego.

Cons

Very bureaucratic culture, the company is very risk averse so they do not act on many opportunities.
    Very hard to move up, HR has very strict guidelines for promotions which are based more on tenure than ability (at least at the lower levels).

Be much more clear in the strategic direction of the company. Being open to anything makes it much harder for employees to know which types of opportunities to be looking for.

Great Location, Too Corporate

I worked at Sempra Energy

Pros

You can't beat working at the headquarters in downtown San Diego. The pay is competitive and bonuses are supposedley among the best in the industry (for unregulated/Global Enterprises entities).

Cons

This is a huge corporation... very beurocratic and departmentalized. If you do not enjoy the position you are in you may be in trouble. This is the kind of place where you can end up feeling pigeonholed.

Encourage cross-departmental training. Inspire employees to care about and to learn more about the business. Provide more opportunity for employees to grow and progress.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Slow, conservative, stable company

Current Employee - Staff Accountant II  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Staff Accountant II in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Sempra Energy

Pros

This company is great in that it is very stable. During the economic downturn there were no lay-offs and some employees actually received raises. The benefits package is also great having medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401K, and a defined contribution pension. There is also a yearly bonus which ranges between 10 and 23 percent based on personal performance and company performance.

Cons

This company is slow to promote employees. This is compounded by the fact that most employees never leave. Many employees have been with the company for over 20 years. There are also some poor managers within the company. The culture of the company seems to assume that if a person masters an area of expertise they will make a great manager and that is often not the case.

Managers should be scroutinized more closely. If there seems to be a high turn-over rate within a department/organization there is probably a leadership problem within that organization. Also, consider soliciting ideas from younger employees in ways to improve the technology utilized by overhead personnel. Many things are done in highly inefficient ways because more senior employees are unwilling to change or are not willing to utilize newer, more productive and efficient technologies.

I wish it would have been different

I worked at Sempra Energy

Pros

Some departments were wonderful and people were loyal, dedicated and worked for several years until retirement. I think that's how it is for most of Sempra and I would love to work there again, just in another department

Cons

Internal department politics played into how I felt about my experience at Sempra.

Ensure that hiring decisions are made in an environment that welcomes an outside candidate into a healthy department and into a healthy team. The new hire is empowered to use their experience and knowledge that made them qualified to work there in the first place.

Pretty much very very normal

Current Employee - Communications Manager  in  Corona de Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Communications Manager in Corona de Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Sempra Energy

Pros

It's a cool environment, you don't work too hard and the salary is OK. Overall a good job. And the girls are hot.

Cons

The colleagues sometimes are rather mean and the environment is too conservative, therefore I don't really feel good sometimes but it's OK

They should just try to be more liberal and be less Republican and understand that some employees are Democrats and proud

Not bad based on what I've seen.

Former Employee - Intern  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Sempra Energy

Pros

If you live in San Diego, then this is one of the few corporations that have an HQ there.

Cons

Hard to progress as fast as if you worked for financial services/adivising/consulting and then jumped into industry.

I would say that they are doing an OK job.

Senior management completely out of touch with reality

Former Employee - Communications  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Communications in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sempra Energy

Pros

The pay is high and generally it's a stable, secure place to work.

Cons

Senior management is completely out of touch with the employees. It's extremely hierarchial and senior management won't interact with anyone that's not at their level. The division between the employees and management is further exasperated by the fact that they have drivers, executive chefs and most don't even ride the elevators with employees. The company is in the middle of a reputation management initiative to improve their reputation with the community, employees and others and the whole thing is a joke because senior managment doesn't even care about it.

Listen to employees, recognize their hard work and share information!

does someone smell gas?

Former Employee - Master of Puppetts  in  San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Master of Puppetts in San Diego, CA

I worked at Sempra Energy

Pros

The money can hardly be beaten if you are one of the chosen ones. If you are not, you will watch the rich get richer, and the poor suck off the rich at the christmas parties to get richer. If you are at the bottom and dont do "favors" you might just want to get out of there.

Cons

dirty company with dirty politics and gross mismatches in pay. the company has the personality of drywall. if you stay there more than 10 years you will likely want to off yourself for wasting so much of your life selling something you cant even see.

keep riding that wave

Good People, High Standards.

I worked at Sempra Energy

Pros

Exc. benefits and in general excellent caliber of top management

Cons

Difficult to move around to new or more challenging assignments or positions.

Loosen corporate culture of maintaining strict heirachial lines of communication. Don't frown on Jr. employee of one org. within Sempra talking to manager or director of another org., as was the case during my time there. Once, IT Director reported me to my manager because I sent him an email asking a question as to best resource in his org. to get something accomplished. I was chastized for it.

Worked for Sempra Energy? Contribute to the Community!