SenSage

1 Rating

Run away, don't walk

Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Product Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SenSage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's a job.
    You can work from home 1 day a week after you've worked there a year.
    They offer free cold water.
    The office chairs are very comfortable.

Cons

- After working for them for 5 years, they had money issues and simply stopped paying people. Classy.
    - Their star has fallen - from a successful start up in downtown SF, to axing the majority of the company and moving to Redwood Shores.
    - The management team that saw the company through it's good years was replaced by their board with people who are just puppets.
    - The corporate culture is poison.

Stop screwing your employees, or better just, just quit and let someone competent take over.

An unpleasant place to work in development

Former Employee - Senior Build Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Build Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I worked at SenSage full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The compensation is better than average. The hourly demands were reasonable. The average start and finish times of the work day were reasonable.

Cons

Very unhealthy corporate culture. In the engineering team, the developers were generally not treated with respect, with management often overriding their technical judgement with their own. Additionally, the Engineering department had a very big problem with nepotism and and insider/outsider group dynamics. On more than one occasion, developers or tester engineers were pressured to revise their interview feedback to support candidates that the upper engineering management brought in.

Get feedback both from your current developers and the ones who leave about the engineering management. Nobody asked me anything about why I left, and I was one of several departures (>15% annual) that year.

Will this company make it to see 2011?

I have been working at SenSage

Pros

It's a job, and it pays ok. Benefits are in line with most other jobs of this type. Large office, happy hour Fridays (once a month) and bagel Wednesdays (every week). Main SF office is 3 blocks from BART, close to a lot of places to eat and shop, etc, here in SoMA.

Cons

Management is in turmoil. The board recently replaced the CEO, and all but one of the other C-level executives left the company, most for the competition.

Job satisfaction is low. You're micromanaged. "Here is a spoon full of work, tell me when you're done so I can critique it, give you the thumbs up or down, and give you the next tiny spoon full."

Want to work with people who are smarter then you, and who can challenge you to think of things in new innovative ways? If you are, this isn't the place for you. You will not only be told what to do, but be told how to do it and how long it should take you.

There are 2 offices, one in SF and one in the south bay. The majority of the engineers set up in the south bay so they can avoid everyone else in the company and work in their bubble. It's why our products quality is severely lacking and why the entire QA team left the company.

Stop lying to your employees. Stop painting a rosy picture, telling us everything is looking positive, and then lay off almost 1/4 of the company a week later.

It's why most of the remaining employees are doing nothing, and don't respect management at all. When you hear people in the break room laughing - it's not some funny joke, we're laughing at you!

CEO micromanages and blames everyone for companies problems

I have been working at SenSage

Pros

Bright and dedicated people work at Sensage and there is a sense of team work

Cons

CEO is a micormanager who does not take input from anyone

CEO needs to change (which is not probable) or he needs to go; he is ruining the company

CEO changes strategy all the time

I worked at SenSage

Pros

Good people, friendly, fun, cool

Cons

CEO lies to everypne and is mean

Get a new CEO