SendGrid

Updated Feb 7, 2014

Jim Franklin

Awesome Company

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

ProsGreat place to work and grow. Surrounded by awesome people who not only want to succeed themselves, but will do whatever it takes to get you to the next level.

ConsI can't think of many cons. Great place to be. Sometimes it can be hard to turn off your "SendGrid" switch and do other things.

Advice to Senior ManagementGreat management

Amazing opportunity for growth

Anaheim, CA

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than 3 years

Pros- Interesting challenges every day
- Fantastic people and culture
- Exceptional benefits and compensation

Cons- If you are adverse to change, this will be a difficult environment for you

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep going!

Fast, Full of Promise

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

ProsMy favorite part of SendGrid is the culture. They take the four H's very seriously and you can see it across the entire organization. They work hard. And they take care of their employees.

ConsIt's a hyper-growth kind of company. Things move very quickly by design and that means that processes can be sloppy and inconsistent. That can make a lot of things very difficult (data inconsistencies, disparate business systems disagreeing on facts, not having the right people in on the right projects). I also see zero opportunity for career advancement for most people here. When they hire for important positions, they generally hire from outside the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing.

First time I've looked forward to going to work.

Associate Software Engineer (Current Employee)

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

ProsI like my coworkers. We have strong leadership that is approachable. Great benefits. Fun, strong culture. Internal transparency is rather high. They buys us lunch! Usable peer feedback system. Emphasis on healthy living, including gym membership.

ConsEngineering currently has a slight lack of structure.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive engineers a path to improvement. Focus on more training options for your employees. Keep up the fun!

Excellent service with a disjointed workplace environment.

Technical Writer (Former Employee)
Anaheim Hills, CA

I worked at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

ProsGood people, good resources, good perks, good product.

ConsManagement and development are in two different locations making it difficult to coordinate. There was also a culture of segregation where the upper-level management did not interact with the development team frequently.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork a lot harder to integrate the goals of the company with the people who ultimately make it happen. Sending directives downstream with no real effort to understand the factors involved makes for an uncomfortable work environment.

Challenging, busy, and fun!

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for less than a year

ProsAwesome startup environment. Very collaborative, lots of opportunities to travel between offices and work with other teams.

ConsAs the company grows, it gets difficult to scale both the technology and the internal workings of SendGrid.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to live up to our culture and values. Transparency and our culture of fun are key.

Great place to work!

Denver, CO

I have been working at SendGrid full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat work to life balance, benefits and culture!

ConsLack of discipline, sometimes. They need to strike a better balance between being flexible and rigid (more rigidity).

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up!

Awesome place to work!

I have been working at SendGrid full-time

ProsAwesome Culture with lots of perks! Rewarding and challenging environment that will always keep you on your toes. Company is going through an extreme growth period which offers lots of opportunities.

ConsIt's a growing organization which means there are going to be hiccups. It's definitely not perfect but everyone seems on board in terms of trying to make it better and help the company to grow.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Engineering is under appreciated

Software Engineer (Former Employee)
Anaheim, CA

I worked at SendGrid full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat startup perks like gym, phone, commute reimbursement, lots of beer flowing, trips to conferences, and games to go all around. They give you anything you want for the workplace like a standing desk, macbook airs with thunderbolt displays, and more. There is also the annual company trip to Mexico that is always unforgettable.

ConsThere is a bias/favoritism felt towards the Colorado office.
There are many people who work in engineering that do nothing/are lazy. And the others who work hard are not appreciated at all.
It takes HR/management a few resignations to see they need to give mass promotions and/or raises so it's unorganized and not based on actual merit.
They've gone through a few VPs of Engineering in only 2 years, so the engineering department is always unstable.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of your current employees before focusing on aggressive hiring/growth. This is where the dissatisfaction begins.

Full of holier-than-thou-types

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at SendGrid as an intern for less than a year

ProsDecent pay and fair benefits. Donut Monday was a nice plus to coming in early every day. And 4-day work week wasn't too shabby either.

ConsAs the title to this review suggests, it seemed like all the employees (at least in my office) saw themselves as the PC police. Nothing wrong with being politically correct in the office, but it seemed like my coworkers were always tattling to the management over the smallest jokes.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the employees who actually WORK and try to value them more than your snitches.

Worked for SendGrid? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at SendGrid reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for SendGrid CEO Jim Franklin. All 12 reviews posted anonymously by SendGrid employees.