Sendero Reviews

23 reviews filtered by
4.8
Bret Farrar

1. The sky is the limit

I have been working at Sendero full-time

Pros

There are no words to describe what it's like to work at Sendero - it is truly unlike any other management consulting firm, and you really have to see it and experience it to believe it. Collaboration is pervasive throughout all levels of the organization. The culture is not just on paper and the walls of the office - it runs through the veins of every employee, and it shows in every interaction. People are rewarded and recognized openly for their performance. Management is warm, supportive, and dedicated to growth, and bringing up the employees with them as the firm succeeds. Sendero has achieved a family-friendly culture while retaining a group of highly-intelligent, dedicated, hardworking employees. Opportunities for internal growth and development are rampant, and you will seldom hear the word "no" as you bring new, creative ideas to the table. If you're looking for a fun, collaborative, exciting opportunity where you can directly be part of long-term growth and success regardless of your experience and tenure, be sure to check out Sendero, because the sky is truly the limit!

Cons

None come to mind.

As with any small firm, there are bound to be some growing pains. At other consulting firms, the growing pains can easily escalate into larger, serious issues, resulting in failure to grow and retain top talent, but NOT at Sendero. At Sendero, these growing pains are heard loud and clear by management (through surveys, direct feedback, or other channels), and they are responded to quickly, positively, and appropriately. As an added bonus, employees of all levels are always part of the solution to ensure representation across the firm.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work - can't wait to see what the future of this firm holds!

2. Great people, great place to work

Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There is a great fun work culture here. People care about each other personally and professionally. This is the type of place you would want to be if you want to be challenged from a day-to-day and career standpoint. The Senior Leadership Team is very accessible and they truly uphold the "open door" policy.

Cons

Experiencing normal "growing pains" of a young company in terms of developing internal processes and procedures.

Advice to Management

Keep the bar high for incoming talent. Don't let up on making culture a high priority and making sure that it is woven into everything that is done.

3. A great place to build a career of learning, delivery and consulting!

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I chose to work at Sendero because I was interested in a local consulting career that would cultivate learning, self-improvement and high performance. I was drawn to the employees I met during the interview process and the values that the company holds. These things were proven to be genuine and fundamental to Sendero. During my 1.5 years here, I've had many opportunities to excel. I have been challenged in a good way, and feel supported so that I can ask questions, grow and achieve excellent results on the client site. Employee voices are heard, sought out and respected no matter the job title - it's a great place to be!

Cons

As a young, dynamic company, new processes are developed (or existing ones changed) fairly often. To me, this is, in many ways, a good and exciting thing, because employees get to contribute to the way our company is being shaped, but at times it can be a bit tricky to readjust and requires a little patience. Also certain projects can be longer term than those at some other consulting companies - to some, but not all, this may be a con.

5. Everything I thought it would be and more!

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Opportunity to own and drive pieces of the organization
    - Leadership with a true 'open door' policy
    - Coaching and developing resources at all levels
    - Ability to share and gain new experiences in industries, technologies and processes
    - Solid focus on work life balance while driving and growing into new markets

Cons

- Common operational growing pains as we emerge to new markets
    - Continued internal training growth for experienced hires and emerging technologies

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing while continuing to provide new opportunities to future leaders

6. Great career opportunity for both new college grads and experienced professionals

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great career path with performance management process that is thorough, fair, challenging, and rewarding. Company culture is most often noted by new recruits as a selling point, but it is also a great key to our employee retention. Challenging work with great clients that expose you to multiple industries and across service lines.

Cons

The company has sustained a consistent growth pattern over the course of its history, so there are natural pain points as it relates to internal systems and processes. Management does a good job of insulating a great deal of that pain from the rest of the company. There is a high-level of engagement across the company to continuously improve the company and contribute to achieving the company's strategic objectives.

7. Supportive, Fun, Friendly Environment

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the most supportive environment I have ever experienced. One of the company's values is "shared success" and this value is truly taken to heart. I know that my boss will help me grow professionally and will advocate on my behalf. I know that my peers will take the time to give me advice or support when needed. Additionally, the local "no travel" model makes it easy to have work-life balance.

Cons

It is a small company so compensation is just okay.

8. Great place to work. Great people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sendero full-time

Pros

Trustworthy leadership that genuinely cares about their people and their personal and professional growth.

Cons

A bit underpaid, but working on improving.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

9. Company that practices what they preach

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I came to Sendero from an Industry job that had me jaded and burned out. I was impressed by Sendero's culture and stated values in my interview, but based on my past experience I wasn't sure how it would play out once I started. I am pleased to report that from my first day onward, Sendero has lived out and demonstrated their core values and culture time and time again. Coming to Sendero meant a career change and starting over, but it was the best career decision I could have made. The employees enjoy each other and many are friends outside of work. Upper management maintains an open door policy that is inviting and never pretentious. At past jobs I was usually looking for my next move after a year or so, but after three years at Sendero, I can say that I don't see myself leaving here any time soon. Having experience the alternative, I can say it's a great feeling!

Cons

Being spread out across the metroplex can leave a disjoined feeling at times, but that's the nature of consulting and Sendero works hard to do things to promote unity and connection across the different clients and locations.

Advice to Management

Keep putting the culture and employees first and Sendero will keep excelling.

10. Growing consulting firm, not without challenges

I have been working at Sendero full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Decent breadth of challenging opportunities (multiple industries, types of work), considering size (50-100 employees)
    - Travel/work-life balance is much better than other consulting firms (90% of work is done in DFW area)
    - Heavy emphasis on "shared success" is a fresh of breath air compared to standard cut-throat consulting stereotype (e.g. repetitive business processes recognize others for their hard work and sharing of knowledge on projects)
    - Senior management has great experience and conducts themselves with integrity and respect for others
    - Fun, supportive atmosphere among consultants

Cons

- Growth opportunities can be somewhat limited if projects are tough to come by (firm is still small, so ideal clout level to easily win projects is still not there yet)
    - Much heavier emphasis on technology-related projects when compared to a standard business management / strategy consulting firm
    - Training is better than it's been in previous years, but still not near same standard as industry leaders

Advice to Management

- Need more aggressive BD approach ; past business relationships have a limit, need more dedicated sales team to drive growth
    - Heavier emphasis on "stretch" roles for young consultants -- lack of challenges can create untapped potential (some thrive under pressure, regress when not challenged)

11. Amazing! Close friendly atmosphere purposefully nurtured from management down.

Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for a top 4 consulting firm in technology for 3 years. It is night and day difference! No traveling required, yet still have large scale clients in-town. Co-workers are amazing. No arrogant consultants here - people who care about getting a job done right and on time, and having some fun while doing so. We have pizza Fridays and truly fun quarterly company meetings. Benefits match those of the top tier firm. Salary is about one year below what I had been making, but Sendero does promotions twice a year. Honestly, a salary one year back is not nearly such a big deal considering the quality of life improvement and chances for increases soon. Also, weekly one-on-one meetings with your manager for support and feedback ensure you are on the right track.

Cons

I had to seriously think about this. The only con would be the self-improvement training courses. At the moment there is a small amount of them, however they are negotiating for a larger and broader amount of online courses for the employees.

Advice to Management

Continue to be selective in your employees regarding culture match. Well done so far!