Sendero

Too good to be true

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sendero

Pros

The people are all very friendly on the outset and sing praises of the family culture at Sendero. The office is in a fairly nice location and most of the business is concentrated in Dallas. Much effort is placed on making Sendero be the 'anti- big four' consulting company (claiming light travel and an understanding of a life/work balance) which, for the most part, does show.

Cons

I was drafted to this company because of their insistence on a unique, 'family-like' culture within a dynamic youthful company. This is completely true (the culture part, anyway)- as long as you prescribe to the same lifestyle and personal beliefs of the upper management (many of whom are directly related to Sendero's President or have been close with him prior to Sendero's founding). If you are a conservative, white individual whose professional aspirations reach no further than settling down as soon as possible with your heterosexual partner and 2.5 kids, then Sendero is the company for you. I say this only because many,many work lunches (some with the President of the company) revolved heavily around very specific, and unanimous, theological and political beliefs. I am usually an outspoken individual, but even I would feel extremely uncomfortable voicing my opinion in these situations. I would have continued to put up with this behavior if other aspects of the company were just spectacular, but that is not the case. This is an extremely green company and it shows; do not expect a very competitive salary or benefits. Other things that would be commonplace at a more established firm are overlooked aswell (i.e. parking- I'm not talking paid parking, I'm talking parking period. My offer letter included a 5 year old map of parking areas in downtown Dallas and a note that essentially said good luck). You can, however, expect many family cookouts where everyone can gush over everyone else's children. All in all, all I could think during my employment was 'I feel like my parents should work here.' Sendero may want to believe it is young and dynamic, but believe me it is not. I

There is not much advice to offer, as the management is very set on its ways. I would suggest starting with a more diverse set of employees. I think they also need to realize the family-centric, locally based atmosphere they care so much about, while appealing to the older employees, is not going to help them draw in and retain the younger professionals they are targeting for employment.

Sendero Response

Jul 30, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Hello, Thank you for the review! Although it has been several years, we wanted to take a moment to respond to some your observations.
    Diversity is very important to us at Sendero, we believe that we
    ... More

Great place to work. Great people.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sendero full-time

Pros

Trustworthy leadership that genuinely cares about their people and their personal and professional growth.

Cons

A bit underpaid, but working on improving.

Keep up the good work.

Growing consulting firm, not without challenges

Current Employee - Associate Consultant  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Decent breadth of challenging opportunities (multiple industries, types of work), considering size (50-100 employees)
    - Travel/work-life balance is much better than other consulting firms (90% of work is done in DFW area)
    - Heavy emphasis on "shared success" is a fresh of breath air compared to standard cut-throat consulting stereotype (e.g. repetitive business processes recognize others for their hard work and sharing of knowledge on projects)
    - Senior management has great experience and conducts themselves with integrity and respect for others
    - Fun, supportive atmosphere among consultants

Cons

- Growth opportunities can be somewhat limited if projects are tough to come by (firm is still small, so ideal clout level to easily win projects is still not there yet)
    - Much heavier emphasis on technology-related projects when compared to a standard business management / strategy consulting firm
    - Training is better than it's been in previous years, but still not near same standard as industry leaders

- Need more aggressive BD approach ; past business relationships have a limit, need more dedicated sales team to drive growth
    - Heavier emphasis on "stretch" roles for young consultants -- lack of challenges can create untapped potential (some thrive under pressure, regress when not challenged)

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company, Great Culture

I have been working at Sendero full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Positive, energetic, and friendly employees
    - Work life balance (especially for working in the consulting industry)
    - Openness from Senior Leadership
    - Leadership dedicated to supporting employees both personally and professionally

Cons

- Few opportunities for travel. If you want to travel for work, this isn't the company for you. We have several "travel" projects, but for the most part all work takes place within DFW
    - Training isn't at the same level as some of the more established firms, but has improved since I joined
    - Benefits/Salary aren't the same as larger firms but are improving. You get the perks of a smaller firm (no travel, work-life balance, and a fun, family atmosphere) and won't feel like you're "just a number" here. I personally feel that these benefits are greater than working for a larger firm and making more money

Continue hiring people who are culture fits

Sendero Response

Jul 30, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Hello and thank you for the feedback! We are excited to hear that you have experienced the work/life balance we aim for, and know that you are not “just a number,” but a valued member of our team ... More

Great career opportunity for both new college grads and experienced professionals

I have been working at Sendero full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great career path with performance management process that is thorough, fair, challenging, and rewarding. Company culture is most often noted by new recruits as a selling point, but it is also a great key to our employee retention. Challenging work with great clients that expose you to multiple industries and across service lines.

Cons

The company has sustained a consistent growth pattern over the course of its history, so there are natural pain points as it relates to internal systems and processes. Management does a good job of insulating a great deal of that pain from the rest of the company. There is a high-level of engagement across the company to continuously improve the company and contribute to achieving the company's strategic objectives.

Supportive, Fun, Friendly Environment

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time for less than a year

Pros

This is the most supportive environment I have ever experienced. One of the company's values is "shared success" and this value is truly taken to heart. I know that my boss will help me grow professionally and will advocate on my behalf. I know that my peers will take the time to give me advice or support when needed. Additionally, the local "no travel" model makes it easy to have work-life balance.

Cons

It is a small company so compensation is just okay.

Company that practices what they preach

I have been working at Sendero full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I came to Sendero from an Industry job that had me jaded and burned out. I was impressed by Sendero's culture and stated values in my interview, but based on my past experience I wasn't sure how it would play out once I started. I am pleased to report that from my first day onward, Sendero has lived out and demonstrated their core values and culture time and time again. Coming to Sendero meant a career change and starting over, but it was the best career decision I could have made. The employees enjoy each other and many are friends outside of work. Upper management maintains an open door policy that is inviting and never pretentious. At past jobs I was usually looking for my next move after a year or so, but after three years at Sendero, I can say that I don't see myself leaving here any time soon. Having experience the alternative, I can say it's a great feeling!

Cons

Being spread out across the metroplex can leave a disjoined feeling at times, but that's the nature of consulting and Sendero works hard to do things to promote unity and connection across the different clients and locations.

Keep putting the culture and employees first and Sendero will keep excelling.

Amazing! Close friendly atmosphere purposefully nurtured from management down.

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked for a top 4 consulting firm in technology for 3 years. It is night and day difference! No traveling required, yet still have large scale clients in-town. Co-workers are amazing. No arrogant consultants here - people who care about getting a job done right and on time, and having some fun while doing so. We have pizza Fridays and truly fun quarterly company meetings. Benefits match those of the top tier firm. Salary is about one year below what I had been making, but Sendero does promotions twice a year. Honestly, a salary one year back is not nearly such a big deal considering the quality of life improvement and chances for increases soon. Also, weekly one-on-one meetings with your manager for support and feedback ensure you are on the right track.

Cons

I had to seriously think about this. The only con would be the self-improvement training courses. At the moment there is a small amount of them, however they are negotiating for a larger and broader amount of online courses for the employees.

Continue to be selective in your employees regarding culture match. Well done so far!

Great people, challenging work and strong core values

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time

Pros

Working for Sendero has been a very rewarding experience. The work is challenging and allows you to build knowledge and skills in a variety of industries and service lines. The integrity and compassion of the senior leadership team is incomparable. They are truly passionate about growing the company and individuals.

Being part of a small company has many perks - employees are able to wear many hats and participate in internal initiatives that help grow the company and establish new structures to support that growth. Every opinion counts and there are multiple avenues to ensure your voice is heard (Career Advocacy Program, culture surveys, forums with the senior leadership team, Q&A sessions at quarterly meetings, etc.).

I can personally say that the emphasis on work/life balance others have mentioned is absolutely true - and allows employees to appropriately focus on personal lives/interests, family, community, etc. while still enjoying a challenging and exciting career.

Cons

Training opportunities are minimal compared to other firms, but strategies and projects are in place to continue to develop training, identify more opportunities and fill those gaps. Compensation and benefits are lower compared to some consulting firms - however, with our locally-focused business model and current size, this is understandable. Compensation is being compared to similar firms and adjusted accordingly. All in all, no company is ever perfect but everyone at Sendero is committed to sticking to our core values in every decision we make, supporting each other, taking on new challenges and delivering great work to our clients.

Amazing people, great culture

Current Employee - Associate  in  Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time for less than a year

Pros

Sendero has proved to be the perfect place for me following my graduation. The company hires driven, intelligent and passionate people, and leadership truly cares about employees at all levels. Sendero takes employee development very seriously and has a great mentorship program in place.

Cons

Due to the fact that the company is relatively small and young, its benefits aren't as generous as some larger companies.

Worked for Sendero? Contribute to the Community!