Sendero

Updated October 1, 2014
Updated October 1, 2014
4.8

Bret Farrar

An Outstanding, Rewarding, and Challenging Experience with Top-Notch People and Culture

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have found that Sendero really lives up to all that it promised me while I was going through the interview process. They hire exceptional people, have interesting/challenging work across multiple industries and service lines, provide excellent work life balance, have inspiring leadership and managers, encourage creativity and new ideas, and provide a lot of responsibility to new joiners. It is exciting to be a part of a growing and successful company.

Cons

With it being a smaller company, the in-house training is not as big and developed as larger companies.

Jul 30, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Hello there! Thanks for the review and feedback. We are thrilled to hear that Sendero is meeting your expectations; we hold our commitments and our people in the highest regard. That commitment fuels ... More

Outstanding People

I have been working at Sendero full-time

Pros

Great people who are capable and a pleasure to work with. Work-life balance is the best you can have while working in the consulting industry. Leadership genuinely cares about each employee. Career Advocate (mentorship) program is extremely beneficial and provides an avenue for suggestions, questions, and concerns. Young and dynamic atmosphere - get to participate in building key company infrastructure. Opportunity to develop close relationships with experienced professionals, all the way up to the Partner level. Challenging work.

Cons

Benefits are moderate.Being that it is a growing company, some large firm perks are not there (yet!). Expectation to drive around metroplex to work at client sites (better than the consulting norm of traveling by plane on a weekly basis). Work can be stressful, but I believe that is resulting from the nature of consulting-not Sendero.

Never sacrifice recruiting standards and employee expectations. Our commitment to making sure each new team member is a fit and then continues to represent Sendero's brand and core values is what makes us unique. Thanks for everything you do!

Jul 30, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Hello and thank you for your feedback! We agree that high standards are key to maintaining our effectiveness and culture. We will continue to keep the bar high!
    One of the greatest benefits we
    ... More

Supportive environment and excellent culture--ideal for personal development

Current Employee - Associate in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The best part about working for Sendero is the support system. New hires are supported by peers and an internal mentoring program which focuses on long-term personal growth and development. The work environment truly is collaborative and not adversarial at all--you're not competing against your fellow associates for 'partner track' as with large firms. Sendero has a genuine commitment to its people and shared success. These values are embodied in the executive leadership of the firm who are accessible, transparent and inclusive. Finally, the firm is full of young and dynamic individuals who take an active role in shaping the future of the company.

Cons

If you want to jetset around the country for work and have expense checks larger than your paychecks, this is not the place for you. Sendero prides itself on civic engagement and establishing a local presence, meaning vast majority of work is in DFW (which is actually a draw for consultants tired of the travel).

Excellent Model--Its amazing to me how accessible and forthright the executive leadership is at Sendero. Strategic objectives are shared with even entry-level staff from day 1 and they seek to develop personal relationships with each and every one of their employees.

Jul 30, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Hello and thanks for the review! You’re correct that most of our work is located In DFW, and we agree that is a perk! Many of our consultants have lived the travel life, and we pride ourselves on the ... More

Exceeded my expectations

Current Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Intern in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Sendero full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a small firm, I didn't think I would get a chance to experience much at the client site, but to my surprise, Sendero does a great job of training it's employees to embrace the culture and use it towards satisfying the client. As an associate intern I had the chance to get really involved on the project and was given a much larger opportunity to learn and expand my skills than I would have at a bigger firm.

Cons

This can be a pro or a con, but they really prefer employees to put no more than 40 hours of work a week. I think in the future they may need to be more flexible on this. As an intern, I wanted to soak everything in, and It was hard to do that while also delivering the quality of results Sendero expects without doing overtime.

Keep doing what you are doing. I absolutely loved my experience with this company.

Jul 30, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Hello! Thank you for spending a summer with us as an intern! We hope you gained a lot of valuable experiences. We are proud to have our interns gain real consulting experience by working at client ... More

A great company that lives their values and invests in their employees and community.

I have been working at Sendero full-time

Pros

Sendero Business Services is a great places to work! If you are looking for a company with people who like to work hard but have fun while doing it, then this is the place for you. The home office, located in the center of downtown Dallas, is vibrant and full of color with several painting around the office from one of their charities.

The client work is challenging and it is exciting to watch the company as it grows and expands. The senior management is invested in the success of the company and works hard to maintain the culture they set out to create. Everyone at Sendero works hard to display the five core vaules of shared succes, passion, higher reaching, integrity, and respect in their work and with each other. Futhermore, there are many ways to make a direct impact and get your voice heard.

Cons

As a growing company, Sendero don't have the ability to offer some of the benefits of a larger corporation. However, there are many opportunities to get involved on internal projects and build out a variety of skills that you would not get at a larger consulting firm. Futhermore, the interaction you get with senior management at Sendero is truley unique.

Keep doing what you are doing and living out your core values.

Jul 30, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Hi there and thanks for the feedback!
    We are delighted to hear that you’re enjoying the office; we love it too. We are also glad that you’ve experienced our core values first hand. We passionately

Too good to be true

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Sendero

Pros

The people are all very friendly on the outset and sing praises of the family culture at Sendero. The office is in a fairly nice location and most of the business is concentrated in Dallas. Much effort is placed on making Sendero be the 'anti- big four' consulting company (claiming light travel and an understanding of a life/work balance) which, for the most part, does show.

Cons

I was drafted to this company because of their insistence on a unique, 'family-like' culture within a dynamic youthful company. This is completely true (the culture part, anyway)- as long as you prescribe to the same lifestyle and personal beliefs of the upper management (many of whom are directly related to Sendero's President or have been close with him prior to Sendero's founding). If you are a conservative, white individual whose professional aspirations reach no further than settling down as soon as possible with your heterosexual partner and 2.5 kids, then Sendero is the company for you. I say this only because many,many work lunches (some with the President of the company) revolved heavily around very specific, and unanimous, theological and political beliefs. I am usually an outspoken individual, but even I would feel extremely uncomfortable voicing my opinion in these situations. I would have continued to put up with this behavior if other aspects of the company were just spectacular, but that is not the case. This is an extremely green company and it shows; do not expect a very competitive salary or benefits. Other things that would be commonplace at a more established firm are overlooked aswell (i.e. parking- I'm not talking paid parking, I'm talking parking period. My offer letter included a 5 year old map of parking areas in downtown Dallas and a note that essentially said good luck). You can, however, expect many family cookouts where everyone can gush over everyone else's children. All in all, all I could think during my employment was 'I feel like my parents should work here.' Sendero may want to believe it is young and dynamic, but believe me it is not. I

There is not much advice to offer, as the management is very set on its ways. I would suggest starting with a more diverse set of employees. I think they also need to realize the family-centric, locally based atmosphere they care so much about, while appealing to the older employees, is not going to help them draw in and retain the younger professionals they are targeting for employment.

Jul 30, 2014Recruiting Coordinator

Hello, Thank you for the review! Although it has been several years, we wanted to take a moment to respond to some your observations.
    Diversity is very important to us at Sendero, we believe that we
    ... More

This company has an amazing culture and team spirit!

I have been working at Sendero

Pros

Locally-focused management consulting; fun; strong core values (integrity, respect, passion, higher reaching, and shared success); collaborative; humble; smart, interesting people; working together to build something really special; strong trust in leadership

Cons

There have been some growing pains as the company went from 15 or so employees with a long history together, to 35+ with a mix of new college grads and experienced hires outside of the original network. There's also a lot of work to do internally to grow the company, which, while interesting, can feel like a burden. It's also hard being patient for the company to get big enough to offer some of the things large companies can (in terms of benefits, salary, training, etc.), but in my opinion, it's worth the wait and I know they are giving the best deal they can.

Continue the focus on the company culture; continue over-communicating so everyone knows the strategy and their place in it; confirm priorities periodically.

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas (South Africa)
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas (South Africa)

I have been working at Sendero full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-caring, idealistic leadership
    -opportunity to work across many niches and gain many valuable skills instead of just emphasis/area
    -internal ability to grow the company and provide opinions on growth and policy, even at low levels
    -nurturing culture
    -no travel required outside home office city and suburbs

Cons

-lots of internal obligations at the high levels with expectation for a lot of client delivery as well

-lots of opportunity for upward mobility, as growth is high

A Company Going Places

I have been working at Sendero

Pros

- Outstanding team of people
    Sendero has a real knack for recruiting talent, they attract highly qualified professionals and college recruits who are motivated and driven. The team always helps each other out, even if it's someone outside of your project there is always someone eager to give some advice and guidance based on their experiences. Everyone, especially leadership, understands the meaning of "check your title at the door" so that everyone can learn from each other and have an equal say.
    - Great career growth and potential
    I hope to retire from Sendero, that should say it all.
    - Challenging but fun work
    As a consulting firm, there are a wide variety of projects and work to be done. Your Career Advocate and other management team members will get to know you, ask what you are interested in and where you want to grow, and help provide you with the right opportunities. Interested in technology but a background in management? No worries, the team will help give you the right opportunities so that you can explore technology regardless of your background. The work is challenging, too, and Sendero likes to build their people up and provide them with stretch roles so that they can remain engaged.
    - Trustworthy senior leadership who truly care
    The leadership team at Sendero take a special interest in each employee, meeting with them and getting to know them. They get to know our passions and interests and follow-up with us. Upon promotion, I received hand-written cards in the mail from multiple members of our senior leadership, that was the cherry on top!
    - Incredible and special culture
    There is a culture committee specifically tasked with growing and nurturing the culture as the firm grows. There are quarterly meetings, monthly happy hours, a variety of athletic teams, and much more to keep everyone engaged and connected.

Cons

- Rapid growth means some growing pains
    The company is really taking off and is hiring in a lot of great talent in order to accomodate client demands. This is great news but there are some growing pains associated. The good news is that leadership really listens to people's concerns and works very dilligently to address comments/concerns. They will even follow-up with you to let you know status and next steps!
    - Client-driven deadlines sometimes means late/long hours
    At the end of the day, you are a consultant which means the client drives your deadlines. Sometimes these deadlines, coupled with most everyone's desire to over-deliver for the client, leads to long nights. The good news is that (1) the clients are wonderful and always appreciate your hard work and (2) the company really believes in a work-life balance. If you work really hard one night, you will be encouraged to leave early later in the week, everyone is looking out for your well-being (mentally and physically).

Keep doing what you're doing, you are creating something really special. I'm honored to be a member of your team.