Sendik's

Updated November 15, 2014
Updated November 15, 2014
2.7

Ted Balistreri

Fast paced and demanding job.

Current Employee - Wine and Spirits Manager in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Wine and Spirits Manager in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Sendik's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, paid holidays, room for advancement., discounts for both full time and part time employees, and yearly performance based bonuses for managers, Christmas bonuses for all other staff. Management generally cares about their staff and is willing to offer a helping hand when needed. Very flexible hours. Management expects a high level of performance from all employees. If your expect a typical retail work experience steer clear! You need to be driven to work in this environment.

Cons

Long hours. Managers will work 40+ hour work weeks, with a great deal of planning done on your free time. Compensation could be better, but is in line with most jobs within this industry. Departments are constantly understaffed and slow to fill open positions. Some stores definitely have a morale problem.

Keep pushing associates to reach their full potential.

Meh

Current Contractor - Cashier/Bagger in Germantown, WI
    Current Contractor - Cashier/Bagger in Germantown, WI

I have been working at Sendik's as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Extremely flexible hours, kind managers and fellow employees

Cons

Boring repetitive work, no employee discount for part time workers, slow management system, no opportunities to move up

Pay your workers better.

Decent job

Former Employee - Deli Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Deli Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Sendik's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fun co-workers, fast paced, decent pay, opportunity for growth

Cons

Customers can be hard to deal with, really poor department supervisors and incompetent upper management staff.

Listen to those who work in the departments to understand how the department should be run. I mainly saw people excercising their authority rather than trying to collaborate with staff.

Quality & Service by the wayside as modern sweat-shop environment takes hold.

I have been working at Sendik's full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good health insurance and benefits package, with a company 401K-match program. Generous full-time employee discount. Good flexibility with time-off requests. Adequate vacation and sick-days offered.

Cons

Sendik's owners have completely lost touch with their employees as the company has grown. The company's former watch-words of "Quality" and "Service" have been replaced with concepts that now place the emphasis on production (at all costs), complete elimination of overtime (except for non-salaried management) and replacement (by attrition) of full-time employees with inexperienced and poorly trained part-time workers. As a result, the long-standing Sendik's hallmarks of "Quality & Service" now receive no more than lip-service by management (brought in, largely, from outside companies); very upsetting to long-term employees who once prided themselves on such things.

Where once employee feedback was solicited regularly on several topics (such as immediate manager performance), now a single questionnaire is provided to 5-year+ employees with no response given to those brave enough to voice any written complaint (for fear of termination). "New-guard" management doesn't care or want to know what their veteran employees think, and voicing of opinions is vigorously discouraged. A voicing of any policy concern on the part of an employee is considered either a complaint about, or a disparagement of, management; that employee is then NOT a team player and is written up as such. Great for moral, hey? More could be said, but I'll leave it at that.

Tap into the knowledge & expertise of your veteran employees. Seek out their opinions and comments and have those reviewed by the owners, not the outsiders who now run the company and care only for the absolute "bottom line" in regard to their continued employment. Your in-the-trenches employees may also have very good ideas as to how increase sales AND profitability. We truly do care about the company and worry about where it seems to be headed. The owners used to be engaged with their workers; now we hardly ever see them and, when we do, we're afraid to say anything that might rock the boat & cost us our job. Please help!

Business as a whole was very well-organized and were generally very understanding and flexible.

I worked at Sendik's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Committed to fostering a fun and professional environment even though it's only a grocery store.

Cons

Not enough time to train those who would be taking over my position upon my departure. I felt as though I could have left them in a better position if they had acted earlier to fill my shoes.

Current Employee - IT ASSISTANT in Whitefish Bay, WI
    Current Employee - IT ASSISTANT in Whitefish Bay, WI

I have been working at Sendik's full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible, PTO, work/life balance, no on call

Cons

Boring, average, no room for advancement

Allow employees to move up. No one wants to sit at the same position for multiple years just because the company is so small.

Great job to have

Current Employee - Bakery Associate in Wauwatosa, WI
    Current Employee - Bakery Associate in Wauwatosa, WI

I have been working at Sendik's full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I got a 75cent raise with only being employed 2 months managers are great coworkers are also great n bevame fulltime in two...tge manager appreciate hard work

Cons

One employee never like working n made it hard for others

Management is GREAT MORGAN , MIKE , JOE PETTY BEkER...WONDERFUL

It was fine while I was in between jobs

Former Employee - Cashier
    Former Employee - Cashier

I worked at Sendik's part-time (less than a year)

Pros

Co-workers where fun to work with. Managers are knowledgeable. Schedule could be as rigid or as flexible as needed. Managers see potential for growth in who they oversee.

Cons

Low pay. Some of the departments are not as enjoyable to work with as others. Had to work on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Eve - no grocery store should be open then - 2013 was Sendik's first year to do so, but the amount of customers coming in couldn't have possibly off-set the cost to be open those days.

I would suggest paying your hard workers more so that you keep them around. It's hard to stay with a company when you can hardly make ends meet. Customer service and team member dedication will improve.

Love this company

Current Employee - Floral Designer in Mequon, WI
    Current Employee - Floral Designer in Mequon, WI

I have been working at Sendik's part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working in Floral is the best job out of the whole store
    As long as you have a creative eye, no need to have prior floral experience
    Taught on the job how to arrange and work with every aspect of parties to funerals
    The owners are around all the time and know so many employees by name

Cons

Holidays are very chaotic but other than that nothing bad

Good Retail Experience

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mequon, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mequon, WI

I have been working at Sendik's full-time (more than a year)

Pros

There are opportunities all around for the person who works hard and does what they're asked. Management encourages development and advancement.

Cons

There are a lot of people above you, unless you are a store director or higher, so it can take a while for decisions to be passed down.