Seneca College

3.9

Seneca College President David Agnew
David Agnew

Teaching Assistant at Seneca College

Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Teaching Assistant in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Seneca College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It was a great and easy job to maintain while in a demanding full-time program and was just what I needed.The schedule is a set amount of hours per week (seven which cannot be decreased or increased), but it works well with your schedule. Pay was bi-weekly and direct deposit. Once you have experience as a T.A. it's often easy to be considered for it once again the next year which is also great. I was two different types of T.A, one I chose the hours when I tutored students and the other was monitoring a class. There were many T.A.'s to switch hours with or have a set schedule with. In both positions I considered the job very flexible.

Cons

Issues with pay were a little hard to fix. This only happened with starting my pay both years, so it only happened twice to me. The faculty member that dealt with pay of T.A.'s would often ignore emails, never be in their office, and even during appointments would appear confused and not helpful. Both times I had to involve another faculty member to speak with them to fix the problem. Other T.A.'s from my semester had the same issues. This may not always be a problem, it could have just been the person I dealt with and should not be interpreted as a direct reflection of the college.

Let go after 7 years of service without warning despite outstanding KPIs

Current Employee - Partial Load Professor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Partial Load Professor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Seneca College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good middle management, and basically nice people there all around.

Cons

The upper management is hell bent on cost savings and not worried enough about offering quality education. Driven by the dollar - and this is a publicly funded college.

Change is generally good thing, but too much change, too quickly is moral crushing. Slow it down a bit and carefully examine the repercussions of cost saving efforts. Remember that you represent a publicly funded learning institution and that, within reason, student needs should come before saving money at all costs.

Excellent

I have been working at Seneca College (less than an year)

Pros

The best for working there was helping new students in the field of computers and share my knowledge with them.

Cons

I have to be on time and have to prepare my self for the class lectures and practical labs.

Exceptional place to work

Current Employee - Dean in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Dean in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Seneca College full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The place is forward looking and has a defined strategy in place. Leadership, especially,the provost is quite entrepreneurial.

Cons

The organisation is organic and might move slowly

good for short term

Current Employee - Shipper Receiver in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Shipper Receiver in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Seneca College as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

salary, working hours, staff is good

Cons

no growth, not permanent full-time

none

A Cautionary Tale: Part-Time/Contract Employee Job Experiences vary widely depending on Department

Former Employee - Professor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Professor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Seneca College part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If you enjoy teaching and mentoring the experience you have working with students can be very rewarding. Best part-time positions are "Partial Load" which include some benefits and more hours but are very difficult contracts to get.

Cons

Please Note: I worked for Seneca for more than 5 years and consistently received excellent course/teacher appraisals every semester. So what follows are not the comments of a employee that worked one semester and was not given a new contract. As a general observation of college wide practices (and this is not unique to Seneca) , there isn't any job security for part -time employees and hours and courses taught can change from semester to semester. The following experiences may be department specific and may not be employee experiences in all departments at Seneca. The Coordinator and Chair of the department I worked in lacked professionalism and were inconsistent in their treatment of part -time employees. Part-time employees are not treated very well and could see hours reduced from semester to semester without any explanation given or feedback on their performance. The work atmosphere was referred to by many full time and part time faculty as "toxic". Department management was not interested in the exchange of ideas between professionals and any questioning of the status quo was not welcomed and even punished (you would find yourself with fewer hours or even no contract for the next semester). Staff turnover of part-time teaching staff, during the time I was there, was very high. Of the 20 plus part-time staff I worked with when I started, less than 5 were there when I left.

Rewarding Job

Current Employee - Project Manager in Markham, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Markham, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Seneca College full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- rewarding to work with students and make a difference
    - great benefits
    - excellent vacation (27 days to start for Administrative staff) plus one additional day for every year that you stay with Seneca
    - there are gym's for working out at each of the campuses
    - each campus has a cafeteria

Cons

- salary is not competitive however, given the number of vacation days, it is bearable

- Great job! A very inspirational institution to work at! Keep it up!

Great Experience

Former Employee - Tutor in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Tutor in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Seneca College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

It's a great way to meet people (both fellow employees and students who you tutor), share your knowledge and earn at the same time. The support officers are very friendly and supportive. They really take care of the tutors.

Cons

It can get a bit hectic and there are the rare students who are demanding or difficult to work with.

Learned a lot of troubleshooting skills related to networking specialized in Linux

Current Employee - Laboratory Technologist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Laboratory Technologist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Seneca College part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Got to work independently helping students troubleshooting server problems.

Cons

The paid rate is very low, it only pays $10.25/hour without any benefits

I am looking for a entry-level job as a networking specialist to gain experiences working at an organization.

I worked as a HelpDesk Support Staff where I gained confidence in my career skills

Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Technical Support Specialist in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Seneca College as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Flexible schedule, staff is like a big family, you can contribute with little to no restrictions or resistance from management.

Cons

if you do not like constantly changing shifts, then it's not for you. plus it's a school so it can get very busy round the clock on some days

Management should be a little more open to communicating to staff from all levels.

Seneca College Photos

Hello, This is the Seneca Student HelpDesk. [your name] speaking. How may I help you?

+ Add Photo