Seneca College
www.senecac.on.ca Toronto, Canada

Seneca College Reviews

Updated Jun 19, 2014
Seneca College – Toronto – “Hello, This is the Seneca Student HelpDesk. [your…”

Seneca College President David Agnew

David Agnew

Exceptional place to work

Dean (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsThe place is forward looking and has a defined strategy in place. Leadership, especially,the provost is quite entrepreneurial.

ConsThe organisation is organic and might move slowly

good for short term

Shipper Receiver (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

Prossalary, working hours, staff is good

Consno growth, not permanent full-time

Advice to Senior Managementnone

A Cautionary Tale: Part-Time/Contract Employee Job Experiences vary widely depending on Department

Professor (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsIf you enjoy teaching and mentoring the experience you have working with students can be very rewarding. Best part-time positions are "Partial Load" which include some benefits and more hours but are very difficult contracts to get.

ConsPlease Note: I worked for Seneca for more than 5 years and consistently received excellent course/teacher appraisals every semester. So what follows are not the comments of a employee that worked one semester and was not given a new contract. As a general observation of college wide practices (and this is not unique to Seneca) , there isn't any job security for part -time employees and hours and courses taught can change from semester to semester. The following experiences may be department specific and may not be employee experiences in all departments at Seneca. The Coordinator and Chair of the department I worked in lacked professionalism and were inconsistent in their treatment of part -time employees. Part-time employees are not treated very well and could see hours reduced from semester to semester without any explanation given or feedback on their performance. The work atmosphere was referred to by many full time and part time faculty as "toxic". Department management was not interested in the exchange of ideas between professionals and any questioning of the status quo was not welcomed and even punished (you would find yourself with fewer hours or even no contract for the next semester). Staff turnover of part-time teaching staff, during the time I was there, was very high. Of the 20 plus part-time staff I worked with when I started, less than 5 were there when I left.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding Job

Project Manager (Current Employee)
    Markham, ON (Canada)

Pros- rewarding to work with students and make a difference
    - great benefits
    - excellent vacation (27 days to start for Administrative staff) plus one additional day for every year that you stay with Seneca
    - there are gym's for working out at each of the campuses
    - each campus has a cafeteria

Cons- salary is not competitive however, given the number of vacation days, it is bearable

Advice to Senior Management- Great job! A very inspirational institution to work at! Keep it up!

Great Experience

Tutor (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsIt's a great way to meet people (both fellow employees and students who you tutor), share your knowledge and earn at the same time. The support officers are very friendly and supportive. They really take care of the tutors.

ConsIt can get a bit hectic and there are the rare students who are demanding or difficult to work with.

Learned a lot of troubleshooting skills related to networking specialized in Linux

Laboratory Technologist (Current Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsGot to work independently helping students troubleshooting server problems.

ConsThe paid rate is very low, it only pays $10.25/hour without any benefits

Advice to Senior ManagementI am looking for a entry-level job as a networking specialist to gain experiences working at an organization.

I worked as a HelpDesk Support Staff where I gained confidence in my career skills

Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsFlexible schedule, staff is like a big family, you can contribute with little to no restrictions or resistance from management.

Consif you do not like constantly changing shifts, then it's not for you. plus it's a school so it can get very busy round the clock on some days

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should be a little more open to communicating to staff from all levels.

Love my job at Seneca but unsure of where to climb

ProsExcellent compensation including pension and health & dental benefits
    Easy long term employment
    Can reach for additional responsibilities by volunteering for different committees

ConsAcademic environment can be slow to implement changes
    Challenges for support staff move to management since management is nearly solely recruited from faculty

Advice to Senior ManagementSupport more career advancement paths for support staff
    Change policy implementation from good gut feeling to solid data based decisions
    Break the faculty/staff barrier

review

IT Support Staff (Former Employee)
    Markham, ON (Canada)

Prosworking highly professitional staff . work as a team

Consi just got one.that was very far from my living place

Advice to Senior Managementi have no words

Wonderful place to work

Seasonal English Instructor (Former Employee)
    Toronto, ON (Canada)

ProsSupportive atmosphere that allows freedom.

ConsFull-time positions are hard to come by.

Worked for Seneca College? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Seneca College reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Seneca College CEO David Agnew. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by Seneca College employees.