Seneca Family of Agencies

Updated February 22, 2015
4.5

Seneca Family of Agencies CEO Ken Berrick
Ken Berrick

Pros
  • Seneca Family of Agencies provides exceptional services to kids in need (in 9 reviews)

• They also strive to support staff's efforts to promote within the agency and will work with you if that's a goal (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It appears that finding work/life balance is a thing to watch out for (in 6 reviews)

• Working for a mental health agency can be challenging in the amount of bureaucracy and red tape that we deal with (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

This is a terrific non-profit

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company provides a terrific working environment, with room for upward mobility.

Cons

It's a non-profit and the pay is better at for profit agencies. That being said, you will make enough but you can make more in the private sector.

Gold-standard of mental health services for children and families.

Current Employee - Clinician in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Clinician in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Seneca provides you with the training you need to be successful in working with a high-need client population. Its supervisory policies will keep you compliant with the top industry standards, and you'll develop excellent habits as a mental health worker. There are extensive opportunities for promotion and professional growth. No other child and family agency in the Bay Area has this level of organization and training.

Cons

There is some resistance to using evidence-based practices within the agency. The health benefits are rather poor, and you will be required to pay a large percentage of the cost every month. Seneca salaries are less competitive when compared with other agencies.

Hire and develop practices to keep more experienced supervisors. Prioritize employee compensation and benefits.

Program Assistant

Former Employee - Program Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Program Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies

Pros

Great benefits, nice co-workers. Feel like you are working on genuinely improving the lives of the youth serves. Comprehensive training plans with CPR certification. Great place to get your foot in the door with a non-profit. CEO makes it a point to meet all new hires.

Cons

Too much turn over especially with management. Lower level staff also get burnt out quickly which makes things chaotic when they eventually leave

Excellent nonprofit

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Hayward, CA
    Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Hayward, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-rigorous and extensive training programs and opportunities available
    -scholarship opportunities
    -superiors act as mentors, and employees are encouraged to seek new opportunities and return to school
    -flexible schedule and flexible time off available
    -great work experience; the name "Seneca" means a lot in the mental health field, and if you are continuing on that path, working here will be a great addition to your resume
    -the work has the potential to be very rewarding
    -there is ample supervision and support provided
    -great benefits: full medical, dental and vision coverage

Cons

-not much room for advancement without a higher degree
    -relatively low pay for a lot of taxing work; overtime is strongly discouraged
    -the work is very emotionally taxing and challenging;the clients we work with are emotionally disturbed, and many of them are involved in the foster care system. It can be very draining trying to help the clients and hearing their stories. at times it feels hopeless and like you are making no progress

provide more morale building in some way and build in incentives; recognize that in order to meet and exceed documentation standards, overtime may be required.

Challenging and rewarding work, supportive coworkers

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

I look forward to coming to work almost every day. In addition to being engaging and fun, the work feels meaningful and worthwhile. I enjoy being part of a team. My coworkers and supervisors are great people and professionals that I respect and admire. I feel supported in my professional development. My more senior coworkers provide guidance and advice in my day-to-day work, and I also have the opportunity to attend agency trainings.

Cons

Working with children with behavioral and emotional difficulties is draining and can leave me with less energy to pursue personal interests outside of work. Paperwork is an unpleasant but seemingly necessary part of the job.

Caring company that is out to help our most "at risk" kids and families.

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Anaheim Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Anaheim Hills, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This company has been very welcoming and caring since I started less then a year ago. They strive to keep the entire staff team united and working together by doing events such as "staff appreciation" days and a holiday party. Self care days are encouraged, upper management do not micro manage, and you feel really appreciated here. They also offer an amazing opportunity to receive your MSW through USC with an awesome scholarship opportunity.

Cons

I've heard there is not much room for raises or bonuses.

Raises and bonuses would be nice.

The daily steps that are vital to success.

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Seneca's commitment to the individuals and communities they serve is only rivaled by their commitment to employees. The jobs at Seneca require a lot of hard work and dedication but I feel this means all of my coworkers are exceptional people who inspire me to be better everyday. At Seneca I feel proud of the work I do and believe in the mission my organization strives for, however the part of Seneca I love the most is the connection with people. When you work somewhere that values people above all else you feel invaluable.

Cons

The hands-on jobs with Seneca are difficult, the population we serve is challenging and the larger systems in power often make our work feel endless. The balance of caring about the work but not being consumed by the often overwhelming gravity of the work is difficult but Seneca spends a lot of time and effort focusing on employee self-care in order to help staff feel supported. Because the agency is a non-profit organization the pay is low and the hours often feel long but I believe it is worth it to feel proud and enjoy the work that I do.

Physically and emotionally demanding job, but the culture makes the place special

Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Concord, CA
    Former Employee - Residential Counselor in Concord, CA

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The culture, staff and training are exceptional. My co-workers felt like a big family. I am still friends with the people I worked with.

Cons

Hard to promote. Pay is subpar. No retirement plan. Direct care staff are easy to replace, so eventually staff end up leaving if they don't get promoted or considered for future positions.

Increase the pay and offer better benefits.

Supportive Foundation

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fairfield, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Seneca's commitment to supporting their employees is something I have found to be a truly unique experience, not only peer-to-peer support, but from management and above. It is very helpful in the work that we do to have a solid foundation of support in order to offer the same support to our client's. My experience working at Seneca has been such that even on days I might not want to go to work, I still look forward to the end of my day when I feel I have contributed something to the lives of our families and fellow employees.

Cons

Work/life balance can be difficult to maintain when working within Seneca's "Unconditional Care Model." This dilemma is an active conversation within the agency, and although discussed, is often easier said than done to manage.

quality care and commitment to standards, only limited by the 24 hour day

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The Seneca culture is dedication to safety and collaborative care. The standards by which we are expected to adhere are top notch, and it feels good to be a part of a community that never takes the "easy" route. I get to say I love all of my co-workers and supervisors and who gets to say that?

Cons

Finding a work/life balance working with vulnerable families and adhering to high standards can be difficult. It doesn't appear that many of the direct-care positions are geared towards longevity as the salary and retirement options are lower than comparable agencies. That said, I have appreciated the level of transparency about this from the powers that be and made the choice to work here regardless because the other benefits (supervision, licensure support, culture, training) outweighed the concerns. I may feel differently in another 5 years but I'll worry about that then.

I am so in awe of the company leadership I really cannot think of a thing I would change that I feel would be in their control. Collective discontents have been shared, heard and addressed by HR/management (for example: healthcare offering changes) and I genuinely trust our leadership. I guess my advice would be to keep at it...

Seneca Family of Agencies Photos