Seneca Family of Agencies

Seneca Family of Agencies Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Seneca Family of Agencies CEO Ken Berrick

Ken Berrick

Pros
  • Seneca Family of Agencies provides exceptional services to kids in need(in 7 reviews)

• They also strive to support staff's efforts to promote within the agency and will work with you if that's a goal(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It appears that finding work/life balance is a thing to watch out for(in 5 reviews)

• Seneca acquired our mental health clinic and completely obliterated the culture, showed little to no regard for the employees(in 6 reviews)

Well oiled Machine.

Mental Health Counselor (Former Employee) San Leandro, CA

ProsThe people who work at Seneca are truly wonderful individuals. I loved working there because every one is so supportive of each other. The pay wasnt half bad and they were good at giving a raise when you went above and beyond or have been there for 6 mo. I left making 15.23.

ConsThis place is a thinly veiled child brainwashing facility where they scrub behaviors from the minds of the clients and replace them with more socially acceptable behavior and stability. Think like the Cryo-prison from the the movie "Demolition man." Then the nature of the job can be nightmarish and you WILL get hurt there. You gotta have thick skin and a heart of gold to be here longer than 4 years.

Advice to Senior Managementyou guys really love your employees. thanks for the awesome benefits and flexible "Full time" schedule.

Challenging work, but a great opportunity to sharpen your clinical skills and work with a dedicated staff.

Care Coordinator (Social Work) (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA

ProsSeneca has a "do whatever is takes" attitude when it comes to providing mental health treatment to youth and their families. The agency prides itself on offering some of the best clinical trainingin the Bay Area. For me, one of the greatest "perks" of working at Seneca are the employees. Seneca tends to hire passionate, intelligent, and fun people ... which helps when managing the stress of working with at-risk youth in under-served communities. Also, 5 weeks of paid vacation per year is hard to beat.

ConsSeneca's starting salaries are not very competitive compared to other non-profit mental health agencies in the Bay Area. The workload can be demanding and good clinical supervision can be inconsistent.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy advice to Seneca management is to increase the base salary of employees to retain more talent at Seneca. Also, consider hiring employees from a wide variety of ethnic backgrounds and cultures.

A growing company with many new opportunities to learn and develop new skills. - Not your typical mental health agency.

Pros- The Staff: Seneca staff are dedicated, talented, fun and willing to do whatever it takes to help our kids.
    - Flexibility: With programs all over the state, there is the possibility to relocate and still work for Seneca.
    - Opportunity: Seneca is on the forefront of everything new and innovative, which means there are always new opportunities for professional growth.
    - Growth: All the positions I have had at Seneca allowed me to take on a role and utilize my skills to make the position my own while still challenging me to learn new skills along the way.

Cons- The pay is not that of a for-profit company, but that is to be expected and for me, the feeling of helping others outweighs the difference in wages.
    - Administrative roles at Seneca tend to involve taking a lot on and always being flexible to help out where and when it is needed. This is not a problem for me, but it may not be a good fit for everyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the amazing work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great people and agency culture.

ProsSeneca puts a lot of time and resources into training its employees. Going through the initial 2-week training, I was very impressed by the time dedicated to teaching new staff about the history, philosophy, and culture of the agency. My initial impression is that this is an agency filled with very hard working, dedicated, and engaged employees. Everyone I have met and worked with in my brief time has been extremely welcoming, supportive, and helpful.

ConsIt appears that finding work/life balance is a thing to watch out for.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer a retirement plan.

Family Support Counselor

ProsOffice culture is definite a big one, I can honestly say that the nicest most compassionate and friendly people work at Seneca. People who work here definitely want to help youth and do their best to make sure that happens. Since this can be very hard work , they definitely do emphasize the importance of self-care and taking time off.

Conswork-life balance can be very difficult, we are working with families who need a lot of support. Pay is not that great and unless you have a Master's Degree there is very little opportunity for growth

Amazing kids, coworkers, and opportunities

ProsSeneca has been my home since college and I couldn't be happier to be a part of the Seneca family. I was only planning to stay a year but was so moved by the strength of the kids we work with and the commitment of my coworkers that I changed my career path. Since day one I have been provided opportunities that have challenged me and helped me grow, including when I was supported in working part-time during graduate school. Everyone in the agency is so passionate about their jobs and doing the best we can for the families and teams we work with. The best part of the work for me is knowing that I am doing something that matters and that not only makes a difference to the kids and families we work with directly but also contributes to a larger narrative about what is possible for kids and families facing the most difficult challenges. I'm really proud to work at Seneca.

ConsGiven the complex challenges that the agency addresses, there is always more work that can be done - whether it be directly with kids and families or at administrative level. Given that everyone is so motivated and committed, it can be difficult to maintain a work-life balance. Management is well aware of this, however, and provides significant support for staff around the emotional impact of the work and figuring out boundaries that work best for each staff.

An agency where "unconditional care" is seen in every interaction, every intervention, and every moment.

Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) Oakland, CA

ProsThe individuals that come to work at Seneca are the most creative, supportive, and caring people I have ever met, and I truly feel privelaged to work beside them every day. From the training department to the support staff from other programs to my team that I work with on a daily basis, the patience, passion, and unconditional care that is shown is remarkable and astounding. I think that the employees that Seneca hires speaks volumes on the agency's values.

ConsComing into the position and working in this field, I knew that it was going to be a challenging job. It can be difficult at times not to bring work home with you, especially when clients are going through a difficult time in their lives. With that being said, the agency and leadership really stress self-care and are great at boosting morale after a long day.

An amazing place to work - each and every day is filled with opportunity and a chance for growth.

Mental Health Counselor (Current Employee) Fremont, CA

ProsSeneca strives on an unconditional care model – a belief that each an every child will be offered continuous therapeutic support regardless of the behaviors that brought them into the program in the first place. My experience with Seneca has been nothing less than that. Day in and day out, there are individuals here that work incredibly hard to be patient during crisis situations, understanding of multicultural backgrounds, all while being thoughtful in using extremely individualized interventions for each and every child. At Pathfinder Academy in Fremont, we work with a variety of children – from children that are diagnosed with Pervasive Developmental Disorders, Oppositional Defiance Disorders, to others who are diagnosed with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and more. Regardless of clinical diagnoses, there are therapists, classroom counselors, teachers, and school administrators that work collectively as a team to provide structure and care so that they can meet their academic and behavioral goals. I’m truly thankful to Seneca for allowing me the opportunity to cultivate my skills, and direct my passion and empathy in a field where multiple lives are being enriched. Working with Seneca you may find that no two days are exactly the same, but every day is filled with opportunity and a chance for growth.

ConsThis job can be challenging, both physically and emotionally however there are many supportive faces that can coach you through stressful times (just ask!). It’s important to find a balance between the job that we do, and the personal lives we live – and it can be a struggle to find that balance. It's important to continue finding creative and fun ways to care for your self! :)

The Mission Statement aligns with my belief which is to assist families in need

Wraparound Parent Partner (Current Employee) Tustin, CA

ProsA recruiting team hires the top talents, who are crucial for each modern organization. With top talents the agency would survive. Working in teams brings sources of innovation, managing challenging projects and delivering results.

ConsThe company offers good benefits; flexibility; Co-workers naturally fitting in, making my working responsibilities easier and effective. .

Advice to Senior ManagementOffering mentoring within the agency, it may work for everyone; as a way to help new employees and re-energize seasoned ones. It's also a great opportunity for higher-ups to ensure a good employee doesn't fall through the cracks. It could be a win-win situation, for both employee and employer.

New employee loving the Seneca experience!

Case Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsAs a new employee, I'd have to say that the hiring process has been very pleasant. The process itself wasn't too lengthy and I always felt informed throughout its entirety. During my initial visits to the office, it was clear that everyone I encountered was passionate about their work. Everyone was so friendly and that translated into the work environment and culture in the office. My mentors have also been very supportive during my training. During the training, they really emphasize open communication between all staff members, which is very important to me. In speaking with some of the staff, there seems to be a lot of opportunities for movement, including movements to other programs within the agency. Another one of the biggest draws, was the MSW program partnership with USC. It's apparent that the agency holds a lot of value for its employees, making it a desirable workplace. It's refreshing to work amongst such passionate individuals that are genuinely interested in the well-being of their community, co-workers and agency.

ConsI've had little experience with nonprofits, as this is my first position in this sector, but the pay seemed to be low. However, it is understandable given that it is a nonprofit and I knew that when I accepted the job. They do, however, compensate you in other ways, such as PTO (which is pretty generous compared to other agencies/companies.)

Worked for Seneca Family of Agencies? Contribute to the Community!