Seneca Family of Agencies Reviews

Reset
4.3
Seneca Family of Agencies CEO Ken Berrick
Ken Berrick

Pros
  • I have worked at Seneca Family of Agencies for 7 years (in 9 reviews)

• ability to move within the agency and be promoted (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • It appears that finding work/life balance is a thing to watch out for (in 6 reviews)

• Working for a mental health agency can be challenging in the amount of bureaucracy and red tape that we deal with (in 7 reviews)

A company that I am proud to be a part of!

Current Employee - Academic Intervention Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Academic Intervention Specialist in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been working for Seneca Family of Agencies in Washington for nearing 6 months now. Within that short time, I have developed a respect for the team that I am partnering with along with great enthusiasm of what is yet to come! As part of an innovative team who strives to support all students, Seneca truly stands behind their values in the educational field. When I was hired as an employee of this agency, I was privileged to visit the headquarters out in California as well as see Seneca in action out in the schools across Oakland and San Francisco. I can't begin to express how impressed I was and how inspired I was as an educator. As a startup team in Washington there are a ton of opportunities for career growth while working for an organization that is committed to its mission of serving all youth.

Cons

Being a part of a startup requires patience and flexibility for a "do what it takes" mentality. Sometimes that can stretch you out of your comfort zone and force you to learn a new skill to help support the team.

Advice to Management

Continue to support efforts in Washington.
    Continue to provide thoughtful guidance and training through new projects that may potentially require new skill sets.

2. MHC

Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time

Pros

Open collaboration between Supervisors and staff. Assistance and feedback to enable employees to be and feel successful. Emphasis on self care. Regular supervision and personal assessment. Transparency and communication which is rare in most jobs I have had in the past. Community and team building events. Making and seeing Impact you make in the lives of the community we serve. Great way to get your foot in the door in social work.

Cons

Burn out is possible if self care is lacking. This work isn't for everyone so the turn over is high. Paperwork can be overwhelming if you procrastinate, but an important part of the work

Advice to Management

Offer a retirement plans to employees, especially those who have been with the agency for 3 plus years. Hire part time "floaters" to cover staffing issues

3. Lucky to be a part of the team!

Current Employee - Classroom Therapist in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Classroom Therapist in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies

Pros

I am a therapist at Seneca, and have been with the agency for just under two years. I have had several years of experience in the work force before joining Seneca, and since then, my expectations about what it could be like to work for a non-profit mental health agency have been blown out of the water! It is incredible to me that an agency as large as Seneca has managed to maintain so connected to it's mission, values, and beliefs. I am impressed by the many ways that the agency strives to grow and change according to client and community needs. My experience of staff and management here at Seneca has been phenomenal as well. I feel fully supported, inspired, professionally challenged, and truly at home as a part of this agency. In my humble opinion, anyone would be lucky to be a part of the Seneca Family of Agencies team!

Cons

Work/life balance can be a challenge at times, but loving the work I do makes it worthwhile.

5. Long-time employee, not going anywhere

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In my experience across multiple Seneca FOA programs, it's striking how the Mission and Values of the agency are present in the day-to-day operations. I feel blessed to work for an agency with which my values are aligned and in which the values are actually central to the programs and services provided.

Cons

I have experienced some inconsistency with individual managers regarding their approach to programmatic growth, at times seeming to favor growth (quantity) over quality. Overall, I think the management team holds quality of services provided to a very high standard.

Advice to Management

Your agency is powered by people. Take care of your people.

Authentic, Empowering, Dedicated

Current Employee - Special Education Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Special Education Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Authentic - Seneca leadership embodies the philosophy of Seneca every day. In looking for an employer, it was important to me to find one that could express their mission and values, and act in line with them on a daily basis.

Empowering - Working for Seneca, I feel valued and empowered to be the best professional I can be. My talents are noticed, appreciated, and utilized. My weaknesses are supported and strengthened.

Dedicated - I work for the newly established Seattle based team. The whole team here is genuinely dedicated to our goals and outcomes. Everyone is intelligent and hard-working, and we have the start of something really special here in WA!

Cons

I have been employed since January and so far I do not have any cons - I've been treated with the utmost respect as an employee and love the work I get to do every day!

7. Unique working environment

Current Employee - Classroom Counselor in Berkeley, CA
    Current Employee - Classroom Counselor in Berkeley, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a classroom counselor, you get to work with some of the most undeserved youth in the area. The job is different every day. It is challenging and rewarding. Seneca Family of Agencies is large enough that if one particular job is not as appealing as you may have originally hoped, there are many other various jobs available that still work with some of the most vulnerable youth in our state..

Cons

Many of the youth you will be working with can be difficult at times. Some care givers and community agencies have grown tired of the youth the agency serves. Many times you find yourself fighting for the rights of the youth the agency serves. Seneca Family of Agencies is a great place to work, but it still is a Non-profit so salary/pay is not the highest.

8. Great company- poor pay and benefits

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time

Pros

Seneca's mission to provide unconditional care to underserved communities is real. Seneca provides the best mental health support to our clients and families in a variety of capacities- school-based, community outpatient, intensive case management, etc. Seneca's quality of care is the absolute best in the Bay Area (in my opinion). The workplace is fun, exciting, collaborative, team-oriented, positive, and VERY challenging.

Cons

Seneca pays very poorly. Starting therapists start at $43,000 which is almost unlivable in the Bay Area. Seneca offers a terrible retirement plan currently (but I hear there will be a better one rolled out in September) in which they don't match any contributions. Seneca treats their lower level employees as disposable which is why the turnover rate is so high.

Advice to Management

A significant increase in salaries. A high quality retirement plan.

9. Mental Health Assistant (lead)

Former Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Fremont, CA
    Former Employee - Mental Health Counselor in Fremont, CA

I worked at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great training opportunities, scholarships available, supportive work environment, cultural competency trainings available often, feel coworkers support and always "have your back"

Cons

Pay, benefits, ability to move up in agency. It seems like they prefer to have only entry level staff. Young and don't know better so they stay at the agency.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with better pay and benefits and they will stay, because we believe in your mission and values!

Great Organization

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oakland, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Employees are really friendly and intelligent, very passionate about the mission. Positive workplace environment. They offer great benefits (health, PTO, etc.).

Cons

Since it's a nonprofit, they aren't able to compensate as well as private companies. Work/life balance is also a struggle at times.

11. Program Assistant

Current Employee - Program Assistant in Tustin, CA
    Current Employee - Program Assistant in Tustin, CA

I have been working at Seneca Family of Agencies part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers and supervisors are awesome. Seneca hires the best people. Also, for a part-time job, they provide really great benefits. When I was looking around for part-time work, there was hardly anything out there that provided benefits at all. This organization really does value its employees and that is felt from the benefits, to the extensive training they offer, to the way they try to make changes to help us maximize our time and efforts. It's a great place to work!

Cons

The pay isn't the highest, but for a non-profit it's decent. And as I mentioned before, the benefits are great so I feel that makes up for a lot. Also, being that I'm in an administrative role, there aren't a lot of opportunities for growth or advancement. I'm at a place in my life where I'm okay with that, but for someone who is looking for growth, that may be a challenge.

RSS Feed </> Embed