Senior Lifestyle

Be The First To
Add Photos

Jon DeLuca

HONESTY

Property Manager (Current Employee)
Chicago, IL

I have been working at Senior Lifestyle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company does promote from within. The majority of the employees from highest to lowest are decent hard working motivated individuals.

ConsThe company does not pay a living wage to the non corporate positions including; housekeeper, janitor, administrative assitants, maintenace coordinator and property manager. The expectations are tremendous for the pay.
Changes are made abritrarily and often to please one sector of the company without regard for the impact on the other sectors.
The changes vary from anywher from when property managers are allowed to take vacation time to, how bonuses are calculated with no prior notice and effective immediately.

Advice to Senior ManagementRecognize that each employee needs to earn a living wage.
Decisions made at the corporate level should not be made by the three best friends in organization; there needs to be some checks and balances among the ranks.
The marketing strategy employed is not effective- get one billboard and fill our buildings!
Stop giving all the vendor contracts to friends and family allow real competition thereby reducing repair costs and allowing managers to meet their NOI.
Provide adequate training to new hires.

If you want your parent to be poorly cared for please move them to a Senior Lifestyles managed facility.

Management (Current Employee)
Tallahassee, FL

I have been working at Senior Lifestyle full-time for more than 3 years

ProsI have nothing good to say about this company.

ConsNo follow up with resident care issues. Nursing staff is abusive to residents. Poor food quality. Filthy dirty and poorly maintained facilities.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have NEVER had more complaints from concerned residents and their children in any other job I have worked. I would not put my dog in a place managed by these people.

Although Senior Lifestyles claims to be a "family owned business" they do not own these properties. They are only a management company catering to the "bottom line of investors interests", not to the care of the people that live in one of their facilities.

The management staff overall is completely unresponsive to any concerns in relation to the safety and/or quality of service provided to its residents in the supposedly upscale Assisted Living provider. If you voice concerns you are labeled as a complainer and fired.

Word of advice always research any facility with the Agency for Healthcare Administration in your state. If they have any complaints within the last year go somewhere else that has a clean record.

Also, meet PRIVATELY with the folks that live in the facility and their children. An unscheduled drop by visit is usually the best way to check out a community. Insist upon meeting with multiple families that you select without being escorted by the sales person to get a fair sampling.

Lastly have a meal in the dining room multiple times, insist upon looking at the kitchen and, all corners of the facility off of the beaten "tour path". Be prepared to be shocked.

Always error on the side of caution when picking a facility. A poor choice can cost you at least thousands of dollars, and in a worst case your life or that of a loved one.

Very good first 4 years of employment

VPO (Current Employee)
Houston, TX

I have been working at Senior Lifestyle full-time for more than 5 years

ProsDedicated to resident care and employees

ConsMultiple changes over past year in leadership, and company direction

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter communication with field, consistent goals direction

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior LifeStyle was a wonderful company to work for

BOM/Human Resources (Current Employee)
Memphis, TN

I have been working at Senior Lifestyle full-time for less than a year

ProsExcellent pay and benefits. Senior LifeStyle was a wonderful company to work for but The Pointe at Kirby Gate needed some purging done with management,

ConsThe Pointe at Kirby Gate needed some purging done in the upper management,

Not A Great Place

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Colorado Springs, CO

I worked at Senior Lifestyle

ProsIt is a nice facility and the residents are very friendly. The food is great there, and very inexpensive for lunch.

ConsThey post for full time positions and yet when they hire you they tell you that it is only per diem.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would strongly advise the upper management and leadership to work more with employees that have children when it comes to their scheduling.

Incompetent Management Consistently

Server (Current Employee)
Lewisville, TX

I have been working at Senior Lifestyle

ProsWorking with all the residents was a joy. The job its self was easy and paid great. I loved it. Easy hours for students.

ConsManagers are constantly coming and going (either from termination or resignation) and it just seems like they do a poor job of hiring the right person. From my experience, the managers were often unintelligent and hard to take seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm unsure if just Lewisville Estates is the only community suffering or not, but there needs to be a clean sweep with management over there.

Good job for High School/College students

Server (Current Employee)
Fredericksburg, VA

I have been working at Senior Lifestyle

ProsThey are pretty flexible with your schedule
They give Chrismas bonuses and pay Double Time on Holidays
You are allowed to take food home with you

ConsNot everyone is treated equally
You are not allowed to recieve any tips
You do a lot of work with very little time

Advice to Senior ManagementYou should ask your fellow employees what they think should be changed in order to make work more efficient instead of making things more difficult.

Love this company!

Director of Sales and Marketing (Former Employee)

I worked at Senior Lifestyle

ProsExcellent pay, the corporate level treats the community employees with respect. Very kind people.

ConsThey really have their hands tied when it comes to letting people go. Due to the fear of lawsuits, they are forced to keep employees that are bad for the company, causing some of the good employees to leave. No other cons, and really, this one is out of their control.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up, you're doing it right. Other corporations should take notes.

Working for SLC borders on the unbelievable.

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Senior Lifestyle

ProsFairly consistent level of friendliness amongst co workers. Residents are often wonderful people and a total pleasure to get to know.

ConsTurnover rate unreal. Employees often frazzled and miserable. "Salary freeze" memos come when everyone in the department you manage is expecting (and deserving) a raise. Senior level management micro manages to an annoying degree. Nepotism to an inappropriate degree depending on location. Most departments woefully and purposely understaffed. The salary you negotiated when hired often isn't honored and then when inquiring if this was a mistake you are given the "oh, there was some kind of misunderstanding" excuse followed by a take it or leave it attitude. Benefits not cheap and not good. Instructed to write up hourly workers for things beyond their control (such as employee calling off work due to a sick child, etc).

Advice to Senior ManagementI'm flummoxed where to even start on this. Leadership either clueless or just plain don't care about the people that work and earn them a profit. Cost cutting at every corner when everyone knows you are extremely profitable causes sour grapes atmosphere. Stop running the good employees out, that might help. Stop providing an atmosphere that causes hourly and other employees to leave crying at the end of the day. I'd go on at length but I am having a pretty good day working elsewhere these days.

Worked for Senior Lifestyle? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Senior Lifestyle reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Senior Lifestyle CEO Jon DeLuca. All 9 reviews posted anonymously by Senior Lifestyle employees.