Senior & Disabled Services

Employment Status

Reset
4.5
CEO

Being a Homecare Worker is rewarding and I enjoy the flexibility.

Current Employee - Homecare Worker State of Oregon in Cottage Grove, OR
    Current Employee - Homecare Worker State of Oregon in Cottage Grove, OR

I have been working at Senior & Disabled Services part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Working as a state homecare worker you are a member of the SEIU union which helps us to have medical, vision and dental benefits. Our pay is $10.20 per hour and that is usually better than most other starting wages with private homecare companies and it is difficult to maintain enough hours with them to have benefits. This work allows independence and if you are a personality type that is more content not having to deal with many personalities at once it is a great fit. There is currently an accrued vacation pay.

Cons

In order to work full time it is Usually necessary to work for more than one client. Piecing together client hours with your schedule can sometimes be difficult. Compared to private care companies many of the clients are low income and you must be able to deal with their difficult decisions on how to handle their finances and their disabilities. You must be able to deal with grief and loss as many clients are in need of services because they have an illness and they are in the final stages of life.

Advice to Management

Continue to give the accrued vacation pay. Many caregivers are the only source of companionship or help our clients have, as you know. We do need relief from our work and it is very difficult for our clients to find fill in workers for our time off. As workers we network with each other and sometimes we are able to help this situation but you can not send someone cold turkey to take your place very easily. If a process could be more critiqued to help this situation it would be great.

Good flexible place for independence and working one on one with clients in their home.

Current Employee - Home Care Worker in Eugene, OR
    Current Employee - Home Care Worker in Eugene, OR

I have been working at Senior & Disabled Services

Pros

You are able to work independently and pick clients based on your abilities and the requirements of the client. Your schedule can be flexible since you can work with as many or as few clients as you want. Decent pay and benefits if you work 20+ hours per week for three months.

Cons

Very little interaction with Senior and Disabled Services office and staff. No feedback or reviews on your job performance. Most feedback is from client and family of client. Since the program gets federal funding sometimes there are cuts to client services and hours which can affect your schedule. No room for upward movement in your career. Can be hard to get a hold of office staff for payment issues or client needs especially in a pinch.

Advice to Management

The system should be set up for a bit more interaction between the office staff activities and home care environment. I also think that if caseworkers had more consistent and regular interaction with the clients and caregivers it would ultimately increase the level of care we are able to provide and keep everyone informed as changes occur.

RSS Feed </> Embed